Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Must foreigners still enter through Incheon even after Gimpo resumes international?

Must foreigners still enter through Incheon even after Gimpo resumes international?

Old May 2, 22, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Question Must foreigners still enter through Incheon even after Gimpo resumes international?

Unless there's setbacks, I see flights into Gimpo from international destinations (specifically Japan) restarting in June. More specially, looks like JAL will resume the HND-GMP corridor in June and ANA/Asiana in July.

But even with operating flights, I read one article saying foreigners must still enter through Incheon because that's where the q-code scanning system is setup. I have a bunch of questions related to this:

1) Is that true? Must?
2) Anyone aware if Gimpo will get a similar q-code setup in time for reopening?
3) If #1 is absolute with no exceptions, can someone at least leave Korea through Gimpo?
Old May 2, 22, 11:10 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by Andrew Kim View Post
Unless there's setbacks, I see flights into Gimpo from international destinations (specifically Japan) restarting in June. More specially, looks like JAL will resume the HND-GMP corridor in June and ANA/Asiana in July.

But even with operating flights, I read one article saying foreigners must still enter through Incheon because that's where the q-code scanning system is setup. I have a bunch of questions related to this:

1) Is that true? Must?
2) Anyone aware if Gimpo will get a similar q-code setup in time for reopening?
3) If #1 is absolute with no exceptions, can someone at least leave Korea through Gimpo?
These flights have been showing up and sellable for the past two years. The Japanese PM recently said he thinks "they should talk about opening up the Gimpo Haneda route," which means nothing. So, don't hold your breath. The Gimpo International terminal has been closed for over two years and expect it to stay that way for a long, long time. Gimpo was a business traveler's airport, so when that comes back, so will Gimpo.
Old May 3, 22, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Oh no, but a part of me was mentally braced to hear that. I think you're right, and as insurance I did book a redundant flight into Incheon for the same dates; just that I'd much rather fly JAL if given the choice instead of United which is my other one (it was a cheap saver award flight so I'll keep it instead of paying cash for KAL or Asiana).

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old May 3, 22, 7:48 am

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes View Post
These flights have been showing up and sellable for the past two years. The Japanese PM recently said he thinks "they should talk about opening up the Gimpo Haneda route," which means nothing. So, don't hold your breath. The Gimpo International terminal has been closed for over two years and expect it to stay that way for a long, long time. Gimpo was a business traveler's airport, so when that comes back, so will Gimpo.
Yeah I had a ticket to connect through HND to GMP with JAL but they canceled it. Seems like they're opting to sell the tickets and then cancel the flights as they get confirmation each month that the route is not resuming.

Luckily though, Ethiopian Airlines resumed their NRT to ICN flight leaving late in the evening which makes connections through NRT possible instead.
Old May 3, 22, 7:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Gold and free agent (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by etgohomeok View Post
Yeah I had a ticket to connect through HND to GMP with JAL but they canceled it. Seems like they're opting to sell the tickets and then cancel the flights as they get confirmation each month that the route is not resuming.

Luckily though, Ethiopian Airlines resumed their NRT to ICN flight leaving late in the evening which makes connections through NRT possible instead.
Does JAL figure out how to re-accommodate you when they cancel that ticket? Or are you on your own? I have a ticket via GMP-HND-USA in July.
Old May 3, 22, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Do you remember about how many days/weeks before scheduled flight that you got a notice that it's canceled? And did they at all try to help reroute you somehow, or just give a refund, saying "good luck?"
Old May 3, 22, 8:28 pm

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer View Post
Does JAL figure out how to re-accommodate you when they cancel that ticket? Or are you on your own? I have a ticket via GMP-HND-USA in July.
Originally Posted by Andrew Kim View Post
Do you remember about how many days/weeks before scheduled flight that you got a notice that it's canceled? And did they at all try to help reroute you somehow, or just give a refund, saying "good luck?"
My ticket was booked with points through a One World partner airline so I'm not sure. I just canceled it for free and then booked an ANA flight connecting to Ethiopian using Star Alliance points.

In terms of notice, my flight is in May (this weekend) and looking back it seems they canceled the May flights on March 30. Doesn't seem that they've made the call yet for June, going by their website: https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2022/inter/220601_06/.
Old May 4, 22, 5:07 am

If they cancel it, literally the only option is to route you through Narita.And, actually, JAL does codeshare with KE (even though not same alliance) and they have their own ZIPAIR subsidiary. JAL themselves does not actually fly to ICN. They never have in all the years I've lived here (same for ANA).
Old May 4, 22, 6:41 am

If that were a daily flight I'd be set. Unfortunately, unless something changes in the next 3 months, I'm getting to ICN via MNL.
Old May 6, 22, 1:45 am
Original Poster

I hope this is true. Possible June reopening. Mainly Korean and Japanese carriers; no Chinese carriers have applied.

Gimpo Airport to resume international flights in June
TravelLawyer and mikesaidyes like this.
Old May 6, 22, 3:24 am

I think Japan will open up in June.
Airlines wont apply for new flights/routes if they arent going to have pax and make profit.

Plus recently, the new Korean govt sent over some reps to Japan to discuss relationships.
mikesaidyes likes this.
Old May 8, 22, 9:42 pm

Yes, the news article does look promising. And I'll be on the first flight I can for a weekend getaway to Osaka or Tokyo. CANNOT WAIT.

Search this Thread