Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Korea Electronic Travel Authorization Required For Entry After September 1, 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Government site for application: https://www.k-eta.go.kr/portal/apply/index.do

Good for 2 years.

Generally is overnight approval; regardless apply 1 to 2 months before trip out of caution.
Print Wikipost

Korea Electronic Travel Authorization Required For Entry After September 1, 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2021, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Stumbled on this:

Message for U.S. Citizens: Korea Electronic Travel Authorization Required as of September 1

Originally Posted by US Embassy Notice
Starting September 1, 2021, U.S. citizens traveling to Korea must have a valid visa or an approved Korea Electronic Travel Authorization (K-ETA) to enter Korea. Most U.S. passport holders traveling to Korea for tourism or business purposes for less than 90 days can obtain a K-ETA. Apply at the K-ETA website for 10,000 KRW: https://www.k-eta.go.kr/portal/apply/index.do. The fee is non-refundable even if the application is denied. Travelers must apply for the K-ETA at least 24 hours prior to boarding a flight or ship bound for Korea. Note: the application fee is waived during the K-ETA pilot period from May 3 to August 31, 2021.

Visas are required for all other purposes, including employment, teaching English, and for stays longer than 90 days.

Please consult our COVID-19 website for other pandemic-related entry requirements, including the need to show results from a negative PCR test issued within 72 hours of departure and a mandatory 14-day quarantine in a government facility at the traveler’s expense for most short-term visitors: https://kr.usembassy.gov/022420-covid-19-information/.
More information from a third-party site.
Old Jul 25, 2021, 11:07 am

Here's hoping they can open up (safely, of course).
LETTERBOY and channonc like this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: Delta Gold
K-ETA?

We are headed to Korea for 2 weeks over Christmas/NYE, scheduled to depart out of JFK on December 15th both of us are USA citizens. I'm starting to see news coverage of the delays many are experience in getting their K-ETA approved. How early should we apply to ensure we get it approved in plenty of time? Anyone with recent experience?
Old Nov 11, 2022, 10:21 am

Why not just apply now, good for 2 years.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by incarbon
Why not just apply now, good for 2 years.
That's what I think I will do. Thank you!
Old Nov 16, 2022, 9:31 am

In case this is helpful to anyone else, I submitted my application via the government app yesterday and got my approval letter within an hour.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 12:20 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
It is fast for MOST people, particularly Americans. HOWEVER, many people do have huge delays. The website notice section (also a pop up) - says you should apply one or two months before your flight now.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 10:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Did mine yesterday (Japanese, American). Checked today and both were approved.
I did not get a notification via email that I had submitted nor been approved. Make sure you write down your application number.
I had real issues with getting the picture small enough to be accepted.

I was also confused at first as to where to apply. I searched Korean e visa and got a Korean government site which offers e-visa. What I really needed was the gov. K-ETA site.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 10:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Note the link in the OP's post is to a site that charges an extra fee to check your application (couldn't tell how much without filling out everything).

The official application site is here, cost is 10,000krw:

https://www.k-eta.go.kr/portal/apply/index.do
Old Nov 23, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
Did mine yesterday (Japanese, American). Checked today and both were approved.
I did not get a notification via email that I had submitted nor been approved. Make sure you write down your application number.
I had real issues with getting the picture small enough to be accepted.

I was also confused at first as to where to apply. I searched Korean e visa and got a Korean government site which offers e-visa. What I really needed was the gov. K-ETA site.
Exact same experience for me - K-ETA was approved almost immediately, but never received an e-mail to that effect.
I saw the approval by logging in again to the application site.
Also was a bugger getting the picture small enough to be accepted.
But the process was easy enough, although it seemed overly complicated while doing the application.
JapanFlyerT likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 2:27 pm

The K-ETA and visa web pages state that holders of APEC card are exempt from the K-ETA requirements. Does anyone know if this includes the US APEC card? Official information is silent on that issue.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by tr3k
The K-ETA and visa web pages state that holders of APEC card are exempt from the K-ETA requirements. Does anyone know if this includes the US APEC card? Official information is silent on that issue.
Sadly, that does not apply to Canadian or American APEC card holders.
Same reasoning that the visa waivers apply to all APEC countries except Canada/USA- both are only "associate" members.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Sadly, that does not apply to Canadian or American APEC card holders.
Same reasoning that the visa waivers apply to all APEC countries except Canada/USA- both are only "associate" members.
Unfortunate, but good to know, thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Exact same experience for me - K-ETA was approved almost immediately, but never received an e-mail to that effect.
I saw the approval by logging in again to the application site.
Also was a bugger getting the picture small enough to be accepted.
But the process was easy enough, although it seemed overly complicated while doing the application.
I decided to get the K-ETA App after being unable to upload picture of my passport from my computer. The approval came in less than 30 min.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:13 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Is K-ETA still required now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.