Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Quarantine Together At Government Facility With Significant Other?

Old Jul 3, 20, 10:13 am
Original Poster

I am an American heading to Korea in a few weeks. I have a significant other flying into Seoul on the same day on a flight from Europe. Would we be able to meet in the airport after landing and go through the quarantine procedure together (registration and being put in the same hotel room)? Does anyone have any experience doing this?
Old Jul 4, 20, 3:21 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
No clue, honestly. I would say no because of one thing - the type of accomodation isn't guaranteed. You might get a hotel, you might get a dormitory type setup with a single bed. Maybe they would, but personally I would expect it not to happen, then be pleasantly surprised if it does :-) just to be safe with your expectations haha!
Old Jul 6, 20, 8:37 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
To go through the quarantine procedure together, it depends at what point you meet up. If you meet up before the immigration procedure, then you can start the process together. If you want to do it this way, then find a place to wait just after getting off the plane. If you start walking down where everyone is going, you'll have to submit the health forms etc. Hang out the bathroom maybe?

The other option is to wait for your SO after you've gone through the immigration process and also have collected your bags and now are waiting at the transportation area. They will separate you according to where you are going. For example, there was a group going to the gov designated quarantine facility, another group waiting for a bus to take them to Gwangmyeong station, people waiting for pre-arranged rides, etc.

Keep in mind, meeting up before going through the immigration and quarantine procedure goes out the window if you land at different terminals. If you arrive at Terminal 1 and SO arrives at Terminal 2, then I don't know how you'll be able to meet up. The only thing I can think of is to get SO on the phone and coordinate which facility you are going before actually going there. Even that may be an issue. Maybe they end up giving you two separate rooms?

The whole process from getting off the plane to stepping outside the airport can vary from 30mins to 2 hours. No joke. There are a lot of forms you will have to fill out, temperature checks, and they will verify you have installed the app and it works before you even talk to any immigration official.

Make sure the name you enter in the app matches exactly what is printed on your passport. Oh you don't enter your middle name on the app but it is printed in your passport? You have to delete the app and download it again to start over. Not joking. There is no edit. That was the situation in June 2020. Maybe they have updated the app, but do you want to take the chance? Install the app before leaving, use the ID: CORONA after installing the app and when you are entering your info. Do all this before leaving your country.

There was a situation where a foreigner arrived but did not know the address of the gov designated quarantine facility. So he was not able to put that address on the form. I think the confusion was because he was considered a long-term visitor (has proper visas for long term stay) and in those situations they can do self-quarantine at their place in Korea (assuming they have a place already). If you are visiting on a short-term then you will be sent to the gov designated quarantine facility (at your own expense). Right now the procedure says that you will be tested at the airport and then sent to the quarantine facility. Seems only those from Europe and the US get tested at the airport.

Might be a good idea to have a snack and a bottle of water with you because the whole process can take some time and you won't have easy access to either until you get to your temporary living facility. So you would need to get this at the airport you are leaving from and not eat/drink it during the flight! Good luck!
Old Aug 27, 20, 1:43 am

Its not possible..
Old Mar 21, 21, 7:47 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Any recent experiences? Has anyone gone through quarantine as a family (with two children)?

Also, does anyone hear any news regarding the possibility coming up that you can not do the quarantine if you are vaccinated and have a positive antibody test?
Old Mar 22, 21, 4:01 am

Have done quarantine twice. But couldn't tell you about doing it with a family. I assume they would put you in a hotel room big enough for everyone. It might be rough with kids however. Back in June 2020, the process took 2 hours. I came back to Korea in early March 2021 and the whole procedure took only 10 minutes. 5am arrival probably helped.

As far as skipping quarantine if vaccinated, right now all I hear are rumors. No need to repeat rumors here. We will have to wait until someone comes to Korea fully vaccinated.
Old Mar 22, 21, 2:02 pm

Thanks nme7

Is there any known difference between arriving at ICN vs. GMP? I'm looking at flights and one option actually has us arriving at GMP instead of ICN. I'm wondering if this has an impact on where they are doing Quarantines.
Old Mar 22, 21, 6:03 pm

That is a very good question. I haven't been to GMP for some time now so unfortunately I am not sure. Having said that, my impression is that Korea has their quarantine procedure well defined. I assume the hotels are the same.

Is there any opportunity for you to get the vaccine before coming to Korea?
Old Mar 22, 21, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by nme7 View Post
That is a very good question. I haven't been to GMP for some time now so unfortunately I am not sure. Having said that, my impression is that Korea has their quarantine procedure well defined. I assume the hotels are the same.

Is there any opportunity for you to get the vaccine before coming to Korea?
Yes, I'm pretty certain there will be and I plan to. However, my kids will probably not be able to in time, since it's not approved just yet for kids their ages. If they can somehow get it they will.
Old Mar 23, 21, 1:08 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Gimpo Airport INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL is actually TOTALLY closed. There are no international flights arriving into Gimpo. Presumably, a Japanese airline is selling you a ticket that connects HND-GMP? They're being optimistic because of course there's no plan to resume flights any time soon - so they're gonna shift you Narita to Incheon NRT-ICN because those are operating.

Not to mention ICN is the only airport that handles quarantine so no matter if you say fly Gimpo Domestic to Jeju - still have to enter through ICN and do quarantine there first and then you're "free" to travel by Gimpo Domestic to Jeju, Busan, wherever. Quarantine procedure itself hasn't changed much - that's been a "well oiled machine" for quite some time IMO.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: