FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Korea (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korea-714/)
-   -   Entry / Quarantine Measures For Americans Travelling To Korea From the US? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korea/2017134-entry-quarantine-measures-americans-travelling-korea-us.html)

bigcahonna May 5, 2020 1:49 am

Entry / Quarantine Measures For Americans Travelling To Korea From the US?

I am an American currently in the US looking to make my way to South Korea. Are there any entry restrictions against Americans using the the visa exemption method to enter Korea? I also have an APEC card if this makes a difference.

Also, if you were an American who entered the country and you're not a long term resident of Korea, what were the quarantine procedures like?

mikesaidyes May 5, 2020 8:58 pm

As a visa exempt, "short term" entry with no alien residence card (aka not registered).....you ABSOLUTELY 1,000,000% must quarantine for 14 days at a government facility. This means they bus you to some hotel somewhere. Many say it's actually very nice, but of course everyone has different facilities and I wouldn't wanna find out haha. Of course they feed you 3 meals a day, too.

You must pay the fee yourself and the total cost is 1,400,000 KRW (around 1150 USD). You must have a phone with working mobile number (some people say they've had a hard time getting a SIM card/pocket WiFi) and install an app to self-monitor and enter results for the govt to check. They visit you periodically to make sure you're staying in the room (also the app has GPS tracking) and if you don't report in the app your temperature etc. twice a day.

This is for ANY foreigner entering Korea. Nationality doesn't make a difference.

bigcahonna May 5, 2020 10:41 pm

There's a addendum on IATA that says foreigners, including Americans, have been barred from entering Korea. Is this being enforced?

LondonElite May 5, 2020 11:53 pm

You ask the same question in many different country threads. Is there a point to this or are you just looking to get away for a bit? The big global message, still, is ‘stay at home.’

Madoka May 6, 2020 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes (Post 32352091)
you ABSOLUTELY 1,000,000% must quarantine for 14 days at a government facility. This means they bus you to some hotel somewhere. Many say it's actually very nice, but of course everyone has different facilities and I wouldn't wanna find out haha.

When you mentioned hotels, I thought it wouldn't be so bad. However, I talked to the Korean CDC about this (82-226331339). Unfortunately it's not hotels. It's former business or government training centers. Either in Incheon or as far away as Cheon-an. No choice of location or room.

mikesaidyes May 7, 2020 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Madoka (Post 32354664)
When you mentioned hotels, I thought it wouldn't be so bad. However, I talked to the Korean CDC about this (82-226331339). Unfortunately it's not hotels. It's former business or government training centers. Either in Incheon or as far away as Cheon-an. No choice of location or room.

I've seen some reports of people saying Ramada, Nest Hotel. Again - that's just people on the internet without any real detail of their story or background or anything. That's why I said I wouldn't expect anything fancay at all. I'd expect the most barebones of accomodations.

mikesaidyes May 7, 2020 12:09 am

Originally Posted by bigcahonna (Post 32352248)
There's a addendum on IATA that says foreigners, including Americans, have been barred from entering Korea. Is this being enforced?

No. Americans CAN enter with visa free entry as a tourist. Countries that ban Koreans....Korea now bans those country people from entering (unless they have a Korean residence card). USA never banned Koreans, so Koreans never banned Americans.

enviroian May 9, 2020 9:56 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes (Post 32355046)
No. Americans CAN enter with visa free entry as a tourist. Countries that ban Koreans....Korea now bans those country people from entering (unless they have a Korean residence card). USA never banned Koreans, so Koreans never banned Americans.

Ive been searching all over the internet on current status of traveling to Seoul but can't find a current answer if I as an American can travel there without a quarantine once I get there. There are cheap $1400 fares non stop from Dallas in July. UK is my first choice but that is out due to a soon to be (soon to be...it's May LOL) 14 day mandatory quarantine .

mikesaidyes May 10, 2020 3:00 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 32361326)
Ive been searching all over the internet on current status of traveling to Seoul but can't find a current answer if I as an American can travel there without a quarantine once I get there. There are cheap $1400 fares non stop from Dallas in July. UK is my first choice but that is out due to a soon to be (soon to be...it's May LOL) 14 day mandatory quarantine .

Americans can come here as I said BUT everyone yes EVERY foreigner as a short term visitor must quarantine at govt facility at your expense. No exceptions. Even foreigners that live here must quarantine 14 days, but they are allowed to do it at their home here in Koirea.

365RoadWarrior May 15, 2020 10:44 am

If the handling of incoming Americans changes particularly with respect to obligatory quarantine, it would be great - and save some inquiries - if someone posted an update here. I really appreciate all the information already posted. Apparently, a few of us are eager to travel there. Again, thank you.

Braswch May 28, 2020 7:59 pm

Quarantine in your choice of place

I saw on the Korean Air website that if you can prove you are related to someone that lives in Korea that you can quarantine there, at their residence, just like a Korean can returning home. 14-day quarantine applies to Korean's too, only they can do it in their own residence.

Madoka May 28, 2020 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Braswch (Post 32412040)
I saw on the Korean Air website that if you can prove you are related to someone that lives in Korea that you can quarantine there, at their residence, just like a Korean can returning home. 14-day quarantine applies to Korean's too, only they can do it in their own residence.

They should make it more clear that it has to be immediate family members and not relatives.