Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

The South Korea COVID-19 thread

The South Korea COVID-19 thread

Old Apr 13, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: AA, KF
Hello @flyerkit are you coming in as a K-ETA tourist? We have trip coming June 3. Thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Stingyguy
Hello @flyerkit are you coming in as a K-ETA tourist? We have trip coming June 3. Thanks.
Yes - I came in September 2021 from LHR via HEL using a K-ETA and a quarantine exemption certificate.
Very smooth, got a test on arrival - which was a little irregular at the time, but got a negative result by 4pm that day so was free to roam the same day.

Now I have the challenge of arriving from Japan with new Q-CODE regime... but with the same K-ETA

Old Apr 15, 2022, 12:05 am

I am crossing my fingers that they relax the rules before summer. Already booked the tickets...
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:32 pm

I just found out I need to be in Seoul on the 20th (leaving USA on 19th). I have just completed the K-ETA application now (23:00 EST 15APR).

I have variously read the application processing time is 72 hours or 1-2 business days. What are my real-world hopes of having a completed K-ETA by noon PST on the 19th?

Edit: got my approval about an hour after submission

Last edited by YYZC2; Apr 15, 2022 at 10:12 pm
Old Apr 16, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
I'm seeing conflicting information online about whether an arrival test is required for foreign tourists. I know the pre-departure PCR within 48 hours is required, but are we required to also book an arrival test at the airport in Seoul in advance?

For example the MOFA website and US embassy website only mention pre-departure test and no arrival test, the MOHW website and many foreign government/airline websites do mention an arrival test, and I'm seeing different first-hand accounts of whether or not people who landed recently had to take an arrival test.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:47 pm

I think there is an arrival pcr test at ICN airport that is required.

https://safe2gopass.com/index
Old Apr 26, 2022, 8:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Has anyone heard anything about the quarantine procedure if you test positive on arrival PCR? Mainly, you upload your results to an app and then you check yourself into a gov't run hotel? Or do you just stay inside your hotel that you're already booked in for 7 days?
Old May 1, 2022, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by smuncky
Has anyone heard anything about the quarantine procedure if you test positive on arrival PCR? Mainly, you upload your results to an app and then you check yourself into a gov't run hotel? Or do you just stay inside your hotel that you're already booked in for 7 days?
I was told that you are contacted by the hospital and tested again (in case false positive
Korea has 40 cycle pcr vs standard 25)
Then if positive you get put in a special place for 5 days
smuncky likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiO

Test centre

Waiting

Paying

Sampling

Bill
smuncky likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by flyerkit
I was told that you are contacted by the hospital and tested again (in case false positive
Korea has 40 cycle pcr vs standard 25)
Then if positive you get put in a special place for 5 days
that's great to hear. esp the shorter quarantine period. thanks for the info and the photos too!
Old May 2, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by HawaiiO

I thought this was not required since you have to pay at the airport, but find a testing site within the first day after landing (and quarantine at your hotel or home until you test)? (Didn't I just read that upthread? Or in another thread? Mods - Can we please have an arrivals procedure info thread?)
Old May 2, 2022, 12:03 pm

There are two ways you can do the PCR test:
1) at the airport, which you have to pay for
2) in one of many public testing centers in Seoul, which are (so far) complimentary.

I did the second type at Unseo Station, the first one after the airport. You must have Korean phone number in order to take advantage of such method as you receive result only by SMS.
I stayed in Four Points by Sheraton Seoul Station for the first 4 nights and they didn't ask for result of my after arrival. I waited for result there (it came in less than 12 hours).
Later I moved to Millennium Hilton and at check in I was asked to show result of after arrival test. I don't know, what would have happened if it was my first hotel (if they would have let me check in before receiving of result?).

​​​​​​You must be aware however that Korean regulations regarding testing might change, so it's hard to say how long complimentary tests will be available.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 12:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Question:
Didn't know whether to post this question in the "Covid" or the "International Transfers" threads...
Can I, as a US Citizen, fly from Seattle > ICN (not leaving airport/for transfer only through) for less than 24 hours > onwards to another country-destination?
I can present a negative PCR test, but haven't had any vaccines, I have doctor's statement of recovery from when I had Covid in 2020, certification from Red Cross showing I still have active antibodies a year+ later, etc... but I can't find transfer-only info on the airport's website, or the US Korean Embassy's website, etc.
Anyone done this with experiences to share, or have a link to someplace that spells it all out?
Old May 7, 2022, 9:35 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by flyerkit

Sampling
that's some obnoxious gender-spreading in booth 3.
Old May 8, 2022, 9:41 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Question:
Didn't know whether to post this question in the "Covid" or the "International Transfers" threads...
Can I, as a US Citizen, fly from Seattle > ICN (not leaving airport/for transfer only through) for less than 24 hours > onwards to another country-destination?
I can present a negative PCR test, but haven't had any vaccines, I have doctor's statement of recovery from when I had Covid in 2020, certification from Red Cross showing I still have active antibodies a year+ later, etc... but I can't find transfer-only info on the airport's website, or the US Korean Embassy's website, etc.
Anyone done this with experiences to share, or have a link to someplace that spells it all out?
If you're staying airside less than 24 hours, as a pure transit passenger: You have nothing to do with Korea COVID testing rules. Your arrival country still sets all the rules.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.