Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

The South Korea COVID-19 thread

The South Korea COVID-19 thread

Old Jun 20, 22, 7:59 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by jjangoo View Post
Can't speak for NH but JL has most definitely operated the ICN-NRT route.
When? I haven't see anything in all my years here (10+) and even a NAVER search of flight reviews "JL ICN-NRT" "일본항공 ICN-NRT" comes up with nothing
Old Jun 20, 22, 8:29 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
JAL 954

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes View Post
When? I haven't see anything in all my years here (10+) and even a NAVER search of flight reviews "JL ICN-NRT" "일본항공 ICN-NRT" comes up with nothing
I took JAL 954 in 2017 ICN to NRT.
Old Jun 20, 22, 8:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Plat
I am fairly sure that before Haneda started international flights, it was ONLY NRT-ICN , after ICN took over international flights from GMP.
Old Jun 21, 22, 4:59 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4 View Post
OH ! I have a GMP HND on NH for July 2nd !
June 15 I had 4 in J JAL JFK-HND-GMP, with the HND-GMP being canceled, had to cancel the whole thing.
Old Jun 21, 22, 11:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, AAdvantage, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott
Are tourists required to test at ICN or can they get the arrival test anywhere in the country? Varying embassy/Korean sites say different things.
Old Jun 21, 22, 11:32 am

I have a decision to make. I'm 99.99 certain now that my mid-July GMP-HND-LAX will get cancelled on account of GMP-HND remaining closed. And it will remain closed despite all the rosy news articles from May; all the signs are there. JL reducing inventory to Thurs & Suns only - they did the same for June before scratching the entire month. HND-LAX is running but it's impossible to get there from where I start.

Kind of mad at JL honestly and their delusional optimism. NH has been more conservative between them and their restart date is September.

I did get an insurance flight (far less desirable) expecting JL cancellation notice any day now, but would anyone know whether if JL initiates the cancel (instead of the passenger) that they would attempt to reroute you somehow, possibly through ICN and NRT? I don't see how that could happen, with the lack of oneworld partners flying out of ICN and the same-day transit restriction at NRT, but was wondering.
Old Jun 21, 22, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Chuvash View Post
Are tourists required to test at ICN or can they get the arrival test anywhere in the country? Varying embassy/Korean sites say different things.
As long as it's within 72 hours of landing you can get it anywhere in the country. It doesn't even have to be greater Seoul. Someone I know on social media took it on Jeju island after overnighting in Seoul and taking a domestic flight to Jeju the next morning.
Old Jun 21, 22, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Hyatt Diamond, IHG RA, Fairmont Plat, SPG Plat
Has anyone flown Jin Air into Narita? Looking to fly ICN-NRT and then transit to JAL for a flight back into the US. Do they have a draconian policy like Zip Air who won't even let me board unless flying out of NRT on one of their own flights?
Old Jun 21, 22, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k
Originally Posted by Braswch View Post
June 15 I had 4 in J JAL JFK-HND-GMP, with the HND-GMP being canceled, had to cancel the whole thing.
I was able to keep the HND-SFO leg for my wife's GMP-HND-SFO ticket when the initial leg was cancelled. Of course, we had to find her another way to HND.
Old Jun 21, 22, 6:46 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by Andrew Kim View Post
I have a decision to make. I'm 99.99 certain now that my mid-July GMP-HND-LAX will get cancelled on account of GMP-HND remaining closed. And it will remain closed despite all the rosy news articles from May; all the signs are there. JL reducing inventory to Thurs & Suns only - they did the same for June before scratching the entire month. HND-LAX is running but it's impossible to get there from where I start.

Kind of mad at JL honestly and their delusional optimism. NH has been more conservative between them and their restart date is September.

I did get an insurance flight (far less desirable) expecting JL cancellation notice any day now, but would anyone know whether if JL initiates the cancel (instead of the passenger) that they would attempt to reroute you somehow, possibly through ICN and NRT? I don't see how that could happen, with the lack of oneworld partners flying out of ICN and the same-day transit restriction at NRT, but was wondering.
From all the reports, people get their JL flight cancelled at the LAST minute and are rebooked on crappy overnight layovers at NRT that can't be done etc. So, I would proactively cancel it yourself and find your own re-routing to be safe.

Heck, I met a tourist the other week who didn't know his JL flight got canceled (used Expedia) and had to be an entirely new ticket when he showed up at the airport.
Andrew Kim likes this.
Old Jun 21, 22, 11:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Plat
GMP/HND will start from 29th June, however NH at least will not fly everyday. They cancelled 2nd July and dumped me a day earlier despite 1 stops on OZ available, Now 1 hour into a call to try to save my day of business in Seoul
seigex likes this.
Old Jun 22, 22, 10:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4 View Post
GMP/HND will start from 29th June, however NH at least will not fly everyday. They cancelled 2nd July and dumped me a day earlier despite 1 stops on OZ available, Now 1 hour into a call to try to save my day of business in Seoul
Looks like June 30 based on JL website. My wife's 6/29 flight was cancelled.

Edit: Looks like carriers will take turns operating on different days. KE launches 6/29, JL will start from 6/30.
seigex likes this.

Last edited by invalyd; Jun 22, 22 at 10:48 am
Old Jun 22, 22, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
Looks like June 30 based on JL website. My wife's 6/29 flight was cancelled.

Edit: Looks like carriers will take turns operating on different days. KE launches 6/29, JL will start from 6/30.
Thanks for the update. Yeah, so I cancelled my 7/16 flight. JL automatically changed my GMP-HND-LAX itinerary to a HND-LAX as if the first leg never existed. Didn't receive any notice from them and only found out by logging in (since I've been so obsessive over this). Once inside, no indications even that anything was changed (i.e. text written in bright red alerting flyer that something important needs to be noticed). Thanks JL.
Old Jun 22, 22, 4:06 pm

I just realized that when submitting the K-ETA application there was a typo in my wife's middle name. A letter 'o' became a '6'. The application seems to have been approved despite this. Not sure what to do. The website says 'entry may be denied should the passport information on this document differ from that shown on the applicant's passport'. Do I just not worry about it or should I submit a new application or what?
Old Jun 22, 22, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by elcasar View Post
I just realized that when submitting the K-ETA application there was a typo in my wife's middle name. A letter 'o' became a '6'. The application seems to have been approved despite this. Not sure what to do. The website says 'entry may be denied should the passport information on this document differ from that shown on the applicant's passport'. Do I just not worry about it or should I submit a new application or what?
The spirit of the "denied entry" policy is to weed out any person who is not who they claim to be. Any reasonable official should recognize the typo as a simple mistake and let her through. Still, there's a less than 1% chance you may get one of *those* personality types, and one in the middle of a really bad day who needs a victim to power trip on. For less than the price of two lattes ($8 usd) you could reapply for her k-eta to give you that peace of mind? Or if once applied and accepted, would the system reject any duplicate passport numbers I wonder?

Search this Thread