Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

credit card for Tmoney

credit card for Tmoney

Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:37 am
Original Poster

credit card for Tmoney

Anybody know how to buy a Tmoney card (or another subway/transit card) without cash? Trying not to have to get cash. Korea should be cashless, right?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Anybody know how to buy a Tmoney card (or another subway/transit card) without cash? Trying not to have to get cash.
When the Tourist T-money is cash only, I don't see any ways you can avoid getting cash:

https://www.t-money.co.kr/ncs/pct/tm...ardEngIntd.dev

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Korea should be cashless, right?
No. You will be surprised that many places in Korea are still cash only.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
When the Tourist T-money is cash only, I don't see any ways you can avoid getting cash:

https://www.t-money.co.kr/ncs/pct/tm...ardEngIntd.dev

No. You will be surprised that many places in Korea are still cash only.
Well, there is Cashbee, also Railpass. But I cannot figure out Railpass (the website automatically downloads an "exe" file which isn't technically malware?) but Cashbee seems not too different.
I did read about postpaid but it seems you need a bank account. And Tpass for Tmoney seems to be cash only as well (don't see why if it is an all-you-can-eat card)

I guess Korea doesn't have cashless payments?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Korea does have cashless payments with Kakao Pay, SSG Pay and many other Korean "pay" apps...but none that you can use as a tourist. There is no Apple Pay here. There IS Samsung Pay.

T-Money MUST be set up with cash. You are correct - there are many options for residents with bank accounts and postpaid cards. For instance, my check card has the postpaid feature and it operates actually as part of my Korean credit - just pay the balance for, say, August in September.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.