Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Hotel Suggestion Please

Hotel Suggestion Please

Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Hotel Suggestion Please

I'll probably be visiting late January next year (yes I know it will be cold so please don't mention this). Any hotel suggestions? It's my first time so would like a location where I have easy access to the important attractions. Was looking at Lotte Hotel World.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Lotte World Hotel in Jamsil? Horrible location for anything except Lotte World amusement park. Stay in the City Hall / Myeongdong / Jongno 3 Ga area. Literally in the middle of central Seoul, which is where all the palaces, museums, markets and attractions area. You're also a short taxi ride or subway ride away from all areas of Seoul like Hongdae, Gangnam, etc. As for an exact hotel - can't guess what your budget, style, needs are...
Sandeep1 and gpy like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Needs are simple, I'll be by myself, main priority is having easy access to all of the must see places. Lots of restaurant/bar options. Access to metro.

Budget would be up to $250 per night, prefer to be around $180-200, but I can stretch if the extra is important.

Maybe the Aloft Myeongdong? I have Titanium status with Marriott so that's looking solid.

Last edited by Sandeep1; Aug 20, 2019 at 3:54 am
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Yeah that's totally fine. Myeongdong itself is dead by 10 PM - but you walk over to Jongak Station and near Jongno 3-Ga Station there is nightlife. Also just a 5 min taxi ride through the mountain tunnel is Itaewon. Gangnam and Hongdae nightlife is like a 20 min taxi/subway ride to the south and west, respectively.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Westin Chosun is a block from city hall and within walking distance of palaces, museums, etc. and also has a lounge on the top floor as well as good airport bus service. Just don't expect a suite upgrade.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Westin Chosun is a block from city hall and within walking distance of palaces, museums, etc. and also has a lounge on the top floor as well as good airport bus service. Just don't expect a suite upgrade.
Thanks! That looks like a nice one. I'm actually leaning toward going in early March now instead of January. And for my dates, the Aloft is basically half the price of the Westin. Looks like these hotels are quite close to each other.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yeah, they're only a few blocks apart and the aloft looks very new and stylish, almost a bit more like a W than an aloft in the USA.

I've often had rates at the Westin Chosun in your price range, but I'm not sure I'd pay twice as much for it rather than the aloft even if the Westin Chosun is IMO slightly better located for walking to tourist stuff other than shopping.

There's also a big Lotte hotel, maybe their flagship property, in the neighborhood plus a Lotte department store that seems to be spread over several buildings. Personally, I wouldn't pay the premium for the Lotte hotel.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yeah, they're only a few blocks apart and the aloft looks very new and stylish, almost a bit more like a W than an aloft in the USA.

I've often had rates at the Westin Chosun in your price range, but I'm not sure I'd pay twice as much for it rather than the aloft even if the Westin Chosun is IMO slightly better located for walking to tourist stuff other than shopping.

There's also a big Lotte hotel, maybe their flagship property, in the neighborhood plus a Lotte department store that seems to be spread over several buildings. Personally, I wouldn't pay the premium for the Lotte hotel.
Aloft showing as $110 for my nights, Lotte at $160, and Westin at $200. All pretty reasonable but hard to pass on the $110 for the Aloft. I've got an extended trip with Singapore, Aus, and NZ so it would be nice to save money in Korea if I can.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:01 pm

For those prices, take the aloft. Happy hour F&B at the Westin certainly isn't worth $90 per night even if you're there every night of your stay. I don't consider the Lotte to be appealing, although it's a famous brand in Korea.
Sandeep1 and yurtripper like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: Skyteam
Airbnb be is a cheaper option. Since public transit and food is all near wherever you stay in Seoul proper.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Aloft showing as $110 for my nights, Lotte at $160, and Westin at $200. All pretty reasonable but hard to pass on the $110 for the Aloft. I've got an extended trip with Singapore, Aus, and NZ so it would be nice to save money in Korea if I can.
Of the Marriott family, I'd say Courtyard Myeongdong. View of Myeongdong gate (as Titanium you should get a suite with a view - I always had) with easy access to City Hall and Seoul Station
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
If you are partial to Marriott properties, Four Points Namsan is right by Seoul station, and you can get there by walking. Its close to all the stuff by Seoul station and is a short subway ride from most other things in the city. It's usually priced reasonably. Various Marriott brands are opening new hotels in Seoul next year as well.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:30 am

I stayed at L7 by Lotte in Myeoungdong location. Its really convenient to get to places all around soul. The airport bus stops right in front of the northface store across the street if you are coming from the airport. The Myeongdong shopping district is right behind the building and the subway is across the street. The only thing I don't like about it is the gym. They only have an old treadmill and some lightweights.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by etch5895
If you are partial to Marriott properties, Four Points Namsan is right by Seoul station, and you can get there by walking. Its close to all the stuff by Seoul station and is a short subway ride from most other things in the city. It's usually priced reasonably. Various Marriott brands are opening new hotels in Seoul next year as well.
I think the Courtyard is a better proposition than the Four Points - altoghether a better property and elite recognition is also better. The FP is not a bad location, but the CY is as good. Stayed at both and ended up returning to the CY.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:04 pm
gpy

The aloft was a nice stay and I appreciated the laundry machines, which came in handy for a long, sweaty summer visit. That said, that was my first time staying in myeongdong and I absolutely hated it and would never do it again. I'm glad we moved to Gangnam. I think next time if I'm on a budget I'll try Dormy Inn in Sinsadong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.