Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Delimma Help ICN connecting flights -luggage

Delimma Help ICN connecting flights -luggage

Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb Delimma Help ICN connecting flights -luggage

My wife is a US GreenCard holder and in a few weeks, she is traveling through ICN from Tashkent on an Uzbek flight with 4hr layover to catch a United flight to California. The flights were not booked together and so there is no automatic transfer of luggage.
Due to delays with passport stuff she no longer has the 3-weeks needed to get a South Korean Visa in Uzbek as planned. We are told she doesn't need a visa to transit through ICN to get to her other flight.
The possible Dilemma is that we are not sure how to get luggage from one flight to the next as most airports have luggage pickup outside of security/passport control and I am not familiar with ICN. Is there a way to get the luggage/baggage transferred or even a service via airline/airport/private that can retrieve the luggage so it can be checked in to the new flight? Any help is appreciated, Thx.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
There's no service for that as she will have to directly check in her own luggage. If there is no transfer of luggage, the ONLY way is to go out landside. Which means pass immigration, visit baggage claim, then enter the main airport area and go upstairs to Departure Check In for United.

It's correct she doesn't need a visa to transit and stay airside, but because of bags - she'll have to go landside if there's no interline agreement.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:09 pm

Would be a lot easier if the check-in staff at Tashkent can interline luggage on separate tickets but as a green card holder and on an onward ticket to the US, one can go land side without a visa.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by gripdr
Would be a lot easier if the check-in staff at Tashkent can interline luggage on separate tickets but as a green card holder and on an onward ticket to the US, one can go land side without a visa.
She unfortunately cannot. Uzbekistan is one of 24 countries not included in that "visa free for green card holders" list:

The technical term is "transit tourist bound for another country." But Uzbekistan is explicitly mentioned as not eligible.

https://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/InfoDet...showMenuId=375
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:11 am
Original Poster

And this is the reason I always traveled with carry-on only, to avoid consecutive booking overcharges and lack of agreements between airlines. You would think in 2019 there would be a simple solution. They want to charge extra for everything these days, I would have thought they would have a paid service by now to transfer luggage between carriers or something. If there is a way for an airline to make money, I'm sure there is a way to get it done.

Exactly, so we will max out the carry-ons and leave the rest. Cheaper to replace than to ship.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 8, 2019 at 9:15 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.