FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Korea (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korea-714/)
-   -   2 nights in Seoul, where to stay/what to do - Hilton/Marriott preferred (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korea/1975908-2-nights-seoul-where-stay-what-do-hilton-marriott-preferred.html)

luv2vacay Jun 27, 2019 2:34 pm

2 nights in Seoul, where to stay/what to do - Hilton/Marriott preferred

So we have a stopover on Korean Air due to award "availability" (LOL)
We arrive into ICN on 4/29/20 at 6:20 a.m.
We don't leave from ICN until 5/1/29 at 10:20 a.m. (going to ORD)

So we'll have our luggage from our Maldives trip to tote along. Since it's 2 nights (if I looked at the calendar correctly), I'd rather not stay at the airport Hyatt (although I'm sure it's a fine Hyatt), as getting a little culture (LOL) is good for us.
But I don't want to be on the far end of town either with hours to the airport (I think we'd have to be AT the airport 3 hours prior to depature, so like 7:20 a.m.)

I'd prefer Hilton as I'm a diamond member (but the free weekend cert won't do me any good) or Marriott (free night category 5 and lower? certificate).

Is there something "close" to the airport, but also semi-close to "things to do" for us tourists? LOL!

Obviously we have lots of time to plan, but it'll give me time to research and things.

MSPeconomist Jun 27, 2019 2:40 pm

Instead of distance, look at airport transportation. Pick a place with door to door bus service at frequent intervals. For instance, there's a very well located Westin with frequent airport bus service and the same is true for IIRC a Starriott LC that's a block or so away. Both are well located to see palaces, museums, shopping, a traditional market, etc. Some cheaper Starriott brands are in the same area and look like quite nice new hotels.

I don't do Hilton much and I can't recall where their Seoul properties are located.

You can do the train to/from airport too, or a subway line that goes through the university neighborhood, but I'd opt for the door to door limobus with luggage.

mikesaidyes Jun 28, 2019 2:35 am

MSP is correct. There is a Hilton at Seoul Station, but it's not really a good area IMO for getting around. Seoul Station is a big station with many exits and lots of big roads around it. Taxi distance from sites.

The area where Westin and Plaza Hotel area, that's a good area. Very close to tourist sites like markets and palaces which you will visit on your short two days. Walking distance. As long as you are near City Hall / Jongak / Jongno 3 Ga Station - that's a good area. Myeongdong is totally fine in the daytime, but it's dead at night.

There is nothing close to the airport. The airport sits like 1-1.5 hrs away from the center of Seoul by bus/taxi....all by itself on an island.

HawaiiO Jun 28, 2019 7:23 pm

If u have a lot of bags, might be able to pay a small fee n leave them at the airport and just bring a small carryon bag with you to the hotel.

Conrad Osaka is very nice n accessible to the airport via the limo buses.
The location isnt that good though, not so close to tourist attractions.

Millenium Hilton is an older property but closer to tourist spots.

I think the various Marriott properties have better locations.

The myeongdong area is actually quite nice for tourists.
close to attractions, plenty of shops n lots of street food at night.

ksandness Jun 30, 2019 2:45 pm

You're asking a bunch of strangers on the internet "what to do" in Seoul. It's a huge, sprawling city with a blend of traditional and modern attractions. Since everyone's ideas of good things to do are different, you'd be better off consulting a guidebook or website with information about tourism in Seoul.

glennaa11 Jul 1, 2019 2:19 pm

You might consider staying in Hongdae since there's an Airport train stop there (Hongik Univ). Unless you must stay at Hilton or Marriott. There's a brand new(ish) HIX right there by the train station. Getting around the rest of town is relatively easy via public transport. I stayed at an Airbnb right on top of the station there and felt like it was an OK base for the week I spent using a combo of subway and the commuter trains.

Do you really need to be at the airport 3 hours early? Granted I was flying up front but don't recall arriving more than about 2 hours early. Took the Arex train and arrived in plenty of time. It does take a while though.

mikesaidyes Jul 1, 2019 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11 (Post 31259199)
You might consider staying in Hongdae since there's an Airport train stop there (Hongik Univ). Unless you must stay at Hilton or Marriott. There's a brand new(ish) HIX right there by the train station. Getting around the rest of town is relatively easy via public transport. I stayed at an Airbnb right on top of the station there and felt like it was an OK base for the week I spent using a combo of subway and the commuter trains.

Do you really need to be at the airport 3 hours early? Granted I was flying up front but don't recall arriving more than about 2 hours early. Took the Arex train and arrived in plenty of time. It does take a while though.

You don't have to be at ICN 3 hours early FOR SURE. Just around 1.5-2 hrs is more than enough.

IMOA Jul 2, 2019 8:27 pm

Yep, terminal 2 is pretty quiet and quick to get through and the Korean Air lounge is quite poor so no need to get there early at all.

MSPeconomist Jul 7, 2019 9:31 pm

However, you should allow extra time to get to T2 if your airport transportation will drop you near T1. AFAIK from the train, you would need to take a shuttle bus over to T2. Also, I've seen lines in T2 for security and passport control, so one shouldn't cut it too close. Some gates can be long walks too.

spacebear Jul 14, 2019 2:11 am

What to do is what really matters in this moment I think.

As a seoul citizen, If you just focus on 'Where to stay in', then I suggest 1) conrad seoul in yeouido (which means yeoui-island placed in han-river), and 2) sheraton palace hotel near the express bus terminal of seoul. The reason for the suggestion is below.
1)
Conrad seoul provides nice breakfast to hilton honors above gold members at its restaurant, 'zest'.
The breakfast is sold in public at around 40USD pp.
Although the happy-hour for diamond members is not so satisfactory, conrad seoul is definitely one of the good choices you can take.
200 USD per night is proper to be paid.
2)
The happy hour of sheraton palace seoul would make you be stuffed enough.
The difference between the price of club room and normal room is quite big in this hotel. So we can infer that the hotel has policy of member friendly.
120USD per night is proper to be paid.

mikesaidyes Jul 15, 2019 1:36 am

Originally Posted by spacebear (Post 31301417)
What to do is what really matters in this moment I think.

As a seoul citizen, If you just focus on 'Where to stay in', then I suggest 1) conrad seoul in yeouido (which means yeoui-island placed in han-river), and 2) sheraton palace hotel near the express bus terminal of seoul. The reason for the suggestion is below.
1)
Conrad seoul provides nice breakfast to hilton honors above gold members at its restaurant, 'zest'.
The breakfast is sold in public at around 40USD pp.
Although the happy-hour for diamond members is not so satisfactory, conrad seoul is definitely one of the good choices you can take.
200 USD per night is proper to be paid.
2)
The happy hour of sheraton palace seoul would make you be stuffed enough.
The difference between the price of club room and normal room is quite big in this hotel. So we can infer that the hotel has policy of member friendly.
120USD per night is proper to be paid.

Sheraton Palace near Express Bus Terminal is a HORRIBLE location for getting around easily. The bus terminal stage is huge, busy and complex to navigate. Conrad itself is ok for moving around, but the area around the hotel is just financial/office area by day and dead at night.

luv2vacay Jul 17, 2019 9:10 am

thanks all!

I like the idea of leaving the big bags at the airport for pick up and taking a small bag. Might be tempted to use the AREX then on the way from hotel to airport.
KE Limo bus is an option as well.

I'm leaning towards (we have plenty of time to decide) the Westin as I can use (hopefully) my free night cert with Marriott.

Checking out TA forums for "what to do" and how to get around.

Hewei Cao Jan 24, 2022 9:52 am

Top 10 Best Cities to Visit in South Korea

You should visit some sights there.you can eat some food and so on.