Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to Four Seasons

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Best way to Four Seasons

My wife and I will be going to Seoul in a couple weeks and this will be our first time in Korea. Is the best way to the hotel via the Airport Express train? What's also the best pocket wifi company to rent from?
Old May 17, 2019, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I assume you're landing at ICN and not the "domestic" airport, so my advice would be to start by checking whether your hotel is on one of the airport bus routes (generally operated by "luxury" buses with seats that resemble old domestic FC recliners on legacy USA airlines) and if so, whether the schedule looks like it would work for you.

If you don't care much about the cost, you could ask your hotel's concierge to arrange for a car service to meet you at the airport and bring you to the hotel upon arrival (and perhaps also in reverse for your departure from Seoul as hotel arranged transfers tend to be slightly cheaper when booked as a RT).
Old May 18, 2019, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I assume you're landing at ICN and not the "domestic" airport, so my advice would be to start by checking whether your hotel is on one of the airport bus routes (generally operated by "luxury" buses with seats that resemble old domestic FC recliners on legacy USA airlines) and if so, whether the schedule looks like it would work for you.

If you don't care much about the cost, you could ask your hotel's concierge to arrange for a car service to meet you at the airport and bring you to the hotel upon arrival (and perhaps also in reverse for your departure from Seoul as hotel arranged transfers tend to be slightly cheaper when booked as a RT).
Correct, we're landing at ICN. I guess there's a limo bus going to Gwanghuamun station and the Four Seasons is like a 3 minute walk from there. I think the cost is like 10000W per person.

I did see about a car service and it's 180000W so a pretty significant difference. I might do it because this is our first time in Korea.

I
Old May 18, 2019, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Also since we're coming from Japan do people recommend Yen to Won? Is Korea a heavy cash society like Japan? My plan is to carry the equivalent of $200 US a day in Korean won.
Old May 19, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Gimpo is not "the domestic airport" as they have flights to Japan, China, and Taiwan daily from an international terminal. Very much so a real international airport haha. Much better to access and use IMO.

For WiFi Router - use KT HOME | KOREA TELECOM . They have excellent English service and support in case of any issues (which shouldn't happen). You can prepay, reserve at nice discount and pick up easily at airport.

You absolutely do not need to overpay that HUGE price for car pick up. Even if you took a taxi from the taxi line at the airport, you would pay 60-70$ max for the taxi.

The bus itself is very comfortable, more so than a taxi IMO - bags go under the bus by the staff, English announcements, hard to make a mistake.

You can exchange your yen in Korea no problem. You can use your credit card essentially everywhere here EXCEPT to buy and charge your T Money transit card, at local markets, and at the tiny street newsstands. Taxis take them, can buy bus tickets, all restaurants, etc.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Gimpo is not "the domestic airport" as they have flights to Japan, China, and Taiwan daily from an international terminal. Very much so a real international airport haha. Much better to access and use IMO.

For WiFi Router - use KT HOME KOREA TELECOM . They have excellent English service and support in case of any issues (which shouldn't happen). You can prepay, reserve at nice discount and pick up easily at airport.

You absolutely do not need to overpay that HUGE price for car pick up. Even if you took a taxi from the taxi line at the airport, you would pay 60-70$ max for the taxi.

The bus itself is very comfortable, more so than a taxi IMO - bags go under the bus by the staff, English announcements, hard to make a mistake.

You can exchange your yen in Korea no problem. You can use your credit card essentially everywhere here EXCEPT to buy and charge your T Money transit card, at local markets, and at the tiny street newsstands. Taxis take them, can buy bus tickets, all restaurants, etc.
Thank you very much for all the tips.

I think we're going to do the limo bus to the station and walk over to the hotel.

I appreciate the tip on the credit cards. It seems so different from Japan where everything is either cash or using the Suica cards. From your experience is Korea more Visa/MC heavy vs Amex?
Old May 20, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
And probably less - just don't get the big "international" taxi or whatever it's called. Unless it's rush hour I've paid more like $45-50 for that taxi ride (to Four Seasons). Taxi takes credit card.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by portland67
Thank you very much for all the tips.

I think we're going to do the limo bus to the station and walk over to the hotel.

I appreciate the tip on the credit cards. It seems so different from Japan where everything is either cash or using the Suica cards. From your experience is Korea more Visa/MC heavy vs Amex?
All credit cards, including AMEX work here. AMEX is now a popular and accepted card issued here by Korean banks. Korea uses T-Money, which is just like Suica - you can pay with T-Money for your transit, sure, but also convenience stores, fast food, taxis, too. T-Money for transit is MUCH easier than buying individual tickets for subway. And you get free transfer to bus when you use T-Money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.