Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Can I make it to the city within 2hrs of landing at ICN?

Old May 9, 19, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum

I land at 1400 on a weekday. Need to be at Intercontinental Grand by 430pm. What is the best way to do this? Taxi or will a train be faster?

Also can I pick up a local sim card for data at the airport? I heard that a prepaid data hotspot is better which can be rented?
Old May 9, 19, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, Marriott PLT, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by onlysuites View Post
I land at 1400 on a weekday. Need to be at Intercontinental Grand by 430pm. What is the best way to do this? Taxi or will a train be faster?
Very unlikely that you can make it.

You are going to Gangnam, one of the busiest district in Seoul. So I would say delay is unavoidable. For taxi, it will take 1.5 hours if you travel with taxi, traffic contingent. With delays, as well as all formalities, the chance is not high.

Train does not do you any better as it costs similar time. What's better is the time is fairly reliable. But it also means less comfortable (2 transfers - 1 from AREX to Metro, another one is inter-Metro).

5 pm is more doable then.

Also, if time is not a constraint, I would say taking KAL Limousine #6703 is a better as it goes door to door from ICN to the IC.

Also can I pick up a local sim card for data at the airport? I heard that a prepaid data hotspot is better which can be rented?
I believe you have to actually rent a phone, although I could be wrong.

Hotspot is available for rental AFAICT.
Old May 10, 19, 11:27 am

Programs: IHG, SPG, Hyatt, AS, AC, BA, AA, VS
another data plan option is FlexiroamX which also works in S. Korea. You can get either a SIM card overlay chip or they now also issue their own SIM if your phone has dual SIM slots.
Old May 10, 19, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ideally I would like a hotspot as I want to keep my inbound calls so just need data. I saw a thread (which I can't find anymore) about a company that rents free hotspots and just charges per day for data plan. Anyone know about this?
Old May 10, 19, 8:42 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
Mmmmhhhhh it's gonna be TIGHT. If you are in T2 (Korean Air/Delta Skyteam), it's much more likely - you can be in and out of that terminal quickly. You should take the bus over a taxi. The bus actually is MORE comfortable (spacious seat) compared to a small taxi....and the bags go under the bus easy.

When you arrive, there are TWO buses you could take to eliminate the wait. 6703 is KE Limo bus. BUT if you are at T1 - that bus will go by T2 to pick up first, adding 20 minutes. From T2 it goes right to Gangnam.

If you are at T1, take 6103 https://www.calt.co.kr/lang/en/conte...4.php?b_n=6103 . as this goes to the COEX CALT complex right next to the Intercontinental. This bus goes directly from T1 to Gangnam.

Gangnam resident here that takes buses only to airport. Train is a pain in the a**. No bag storage, Line 9 express CROWDED and it's just FAR. Absolutely expect bus to be 1-1.5 hrs normally, at the worst 2 hrs. Incheon Airport is just F'ing far away and not much to do about it. If you take a taxi, they sit in the exact same traffic.

For SIM card / Pocket WiFi - HOME | KOREA TELECOM
onlysuites likes this.
Old May 14, 19, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Update - Took 1hr by a private car

Crossed this check in for the airport in downtown Gangham. What is that about? Quite close to where I am staying. Is it worth checking in here for the return?
Old May 15, 19, 9:57 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
Update - Took 1hr by a private car

Crossed this check in for the airport in downtown Gangham. What is that about? Quite close to where I am staying. Is it worth checking in here for the return?
http://www.calt.co.kr . is the website (but oddly it's down right now weird)

It can be worth it depending on what time you leave. Most important - what airline are you flying? Not all participate in CALT. You must check in on the 1st floor 3 hrs and 20 mins before departure. But you get your boarding pass and check bags and don't have to do anything at the airport. You also do immigration and board the bus there on 2nd floor, too (buy ticket from machine in advance, the buses fill up).

At the airport, there is a special security lane you can use (the crew/diplomat lanes on the side of the main security entrance).

IMO it's worth it if you have a later flight - you can check in early and drop bags and enjoy the day. You don't have to take the bus immediately, no one is forcing you or can really check (even if you get the immigration stamp too haha)

If you check in 3 hrs 30 mins early and go right away to airport - plan for 1-1.5 hrs to airport, that's about 2 hrs or so before departure at the airport. At ICN, that's A LOT of time to eat well, shop, enjoy facilities.
onlysuites likes this.