Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Overnight layover in ICN questions.

Old Mar 9, 19, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Hi there. Our Korean Air flight from Osaka will land in ICN at 15:55 and we will have a 19 hour layover for 10:30am the next morning.

im wondering how long will it take from landing to get to Seoul Station? I'm thinking about two hours from landing to customs and then catching the train? Will we have enough time to spend in downtown Seoul? Do stores and restaurants close early?

What time would we have to get back to the airport for check in?

Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 19, 7:41 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Two hours is plenty of time from landing, clear customs, and get to Seoul via airport express train. You will have plenty of time to explore and have a good meal. Stores and restaurants will typically stay open until 9 or 10. I would get back to the airport by 8:30am for your morning flight.
Old Mar 10, 19, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. So we will have approx four hours to eat and shop if everything is on schedule.
Old Mar 11, 19, 1:47 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
If you're flying on Korean Air one itinerary and paid ticket - they will give overnight hotel. Have to call customer service and ask. Also, if you are flying Korean Air both flights, they'll give you both boarding passes and check your bags all the way through. Don't have to collect anything.

So if that's the case, IMO, you don't have to be at the new airport until 9ish. T2 is VERY empty at that hour. I recently flew out at 10 AM and we arrive to the airport at like 8:30. Security took SECONDS, nobody in line.
Old Mar 11, 19, 1:55 am
Original Poster

I already received the stopover hotel confirmationcemail. I want to stay in a hotel (Royal Hotel Seoul) in downtown Seoul, Korean Air can't guarantee a hotel in downtown Seoul, so that is my main concern. I may have to just book our own accommodations.
Old Mar 11, 19, 11:33 am

It's nice in Korea. Planning to visit here soon.
Old Mar 11, 19, 9:56 pm

You should get it. But even if they put you next to the airport at the Grand Hyatt - that's a nice hotel. Just take a taxi back late at night 70,000W one way. That price is still cheaper than a hotel in Seoul (for 2-4 people). And you'll get fancy breakfast buffet free at the Grand Hyatt.

Also - I would explore the Hongdae area if you arrive at that time. Palaces and things will be closed in central Seoul. Hongdae shops, cafes, restaurants all open LATE. Good people watching too.
dsfunk likes this.
Old Mar 12, 19, 11:59 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Originally Posted by ReginaW View Post
Thanks for the response. So we will have approx four hours to eat and shop if everything is on schedule.
I think you will have time for more. There are shopping places that are open until midnight or 5am. Doota comes to mind. Subway runs until midnight. Enjoy your layover!
Old Mar 19, 19, 9:38 am

Programs: Asiana Diamond, Delta Gold
It totally depends where you're going, but as people are saying there are lots of places open for food, drinks, fun and there are also a few for shopping at late night. The subway closes about an hour early Sat, Sun compared to Mon-Fri, but taxis are very cheap. You can get a 30 minute cab ride for like US$15
Old May 1, 19, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all these replies. I booked a hotel in Seoul for our overnighter.

Is Google Maps the best option in Korea? Or is there a better navigation app to use? Everytime I input certain Seoul addresses from point A to point B, an error response always shows up.
Old May 1, 19, 9:35 pm

Google doesn't work in Korea as well. Government and Google don't get along. Yes it can show basic street view and basic buses, but there are NO walking directions or true detail. Street View is also old and dated. Things change quickly here.

Download NAVER Map for door to door directions with walking, bus and subway. If you want to talk only subway - use Kakao Metro.
Old May 2, 19, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately Naver only appears in Korean on my phone. ( I don't have the most recent Android ). I keep reading that it's available in English but no luck for me.

Edit. I got it to work. Thanks again.

Last edited by ReginaW; May 2, 19 at 8:47 am
Old May 5, 19, 10:11 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes View Post
If you're flying on Korean Air one itinerary and paid ticket - they will give overnight hotel. Have to call customer service and ask. Also, if you are flying Korean Air both flights, they'll give you both boarding passes and check your bags all the way through. Don't have to collect anything.
Doesn't it still depend on the fare class?
Old May 6, 19, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
Doesn't it still depend on the fare class?
The free hotel for the overnight? Yup. Just have to call and check with customer service.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: