Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Ideas for a Day in Seoul

Ideas for a Day in Seoul

Old Mar 1, 19, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Ideas for a Day in Seoul

I have a 12-hour layover in Seoul coming up soon. I've never been to that city before, and would appreciate any ideas on where to visit and how best to spend the time. Will there be an option to stash my carry-on bag in or near ICN for that period? I'll be arriving there on KE and departing by AA, both in business class.
Old Mar 2, 19, 1:32 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
It all depends on what exact time you're arriving and leaving to be honest. But a 12 hour layover is really more like 9 hours - 1 hr one way to/from airport by train and then an hour to get out of the airport/back in through security. What are your times?
Old Mar 2, 19, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Yes, I should have at least 8 free hours to explore. Arriving around 6 am.
Where in the airport and the city does the train stop?
Does Seoul offer day tickets that would work in all public transport?

Last edited by MaxVO; Mar 2, 19 at 2:23 am
Old Mar 2, 19, 10:33 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
If you arrive around 6 AM you'll be out of the airport and into Seoul by 8 AM (safe estimate). 6 AM is kind of busy time as all overnight flights from SE Asia arrive around then. Take the AREX to avoid traffic. Nothing much is open around 8 AM in Seoul - if you want, go to Siloam Sauna and take a shower, enjoy the various rooms and head out by 10 AM. Can even eat at Siloam Sauna. It's right behind Seoul Station.

Around 10 AM head over to Gwanghwamun and Gyeongbokgung. Also nearby Bukchon Hanok Village, Insadong, Gwangjang Market. All easily done in a day.

Be back to Seoul Station around 3 PM for the train back. If your flight is around 6 PM, be back at the airport at 4 PM or so if you have to check in again etc. If not, you can get back a little later. ICN is very efficient.

There is no day ticket. The easiest thing to do would be to buy single tickets for AREX. The downtown area I mentioned is easily walkable and you really don't need to mess with the subway and going up/down deep into stations, buying tickets again etc. Taxi would also be cheap for the short hop from say Seoul Station to Gwanghwamun.
Old Mar 3, 19, 1:35 am
Original Poster

What's a likely place to find a locker to stash my carry-on bag (train station, airport lounges, etc)? I don't know yet if KE and AA operate out of the same terminal.
Old Mar 4, 19, 1:03 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
There is a place at the airport that will store your luggage for a fee. There is also a storage service at Seoul train station located I believe at the AREX check in desk. It is one level above the AREX airport train gates. But why bring your luggage all the way to Seoul station? I would leave it at the luggage storage at the airport, then travel easily into and out of the city.
Old Mar 4, 19, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nme7 View Post
There is a place at the airport that will store your luggage for a fee. There is also a storage service at Seoul train station located I believe at the AREX check in desk. It is one level above the AREX airport train gates. But why bring your luggage all the way to Seoul station? I would leave it at the luggage storage at the airport, then travel easily into and out of the city.
I just figured that my arriving and departing flights will be out of different terminals (2->1). So perhaps it would make most sense to leave luggage at the departing terminal (provided the storage service is even open that early).
Old Mar 6, 19, 1:23 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
I believe there are lockers at the Airport Express entrance at Terminal 1. Just as you come up the escalator, I believe there were some lockers there. That may be an inexpensive option and faster as opposed to bringing the luggage into Terminal 1 (departure level) and paying for the storage fee.

If so, then take the Airport Express All Stop Train from terminal 2 to terminal 1. Go up the escalator and look for the lockers. If it is there, you may be able to drop off your luggage without having to go through the exit gate. That'll save you a little money. Once done, head back downstairs and hop back on the All Stop Train to Seoul. If there are no storage service there, then you'll have to exit the platform and head to the departure level of Terminal 1 to find the luggage service.
MaxVO likes this.

Last edited by nme7; Mar 6, 19 at 1:29 am
Old Mar 7, 19, 2:53 am

Programs: Asiana Diamond, Delta Gold
https://www.airport.kr/ap/en/svc/get...T1&CTGRY_ID=16

I would use one of those services to store your bag at the terminal you're departing from, and then head into the city.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Mar 8, 19, 2:41 pm

Maybe go to Gyeongbokgung Palace, the MMCA and a Lotte Dept Store (there's on not to far). Should take about 4 hours including lunch. Only thing is the earliest opening time is 9AM for the Palace so you'd have to fill the time with breakfast or a bathhouse/spa.
MaxVO likes this.

Search this Thread