FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Korea (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korea-714/)
-   -   Almost 9 hours between flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korea/1955891-almost-9-hours-between-flights.html)

dlffla Feb 12, 2019 6:26 am

Almost 9 hours between flights

I am arriving at ICN on Delta at 5:45 AM on a weekday and leaving for Singapore on Korean at 2:35 PM that day. I have a few questions.

First, I assume if I check a bag in Atlanta that it will be transferred to Korean without me having to retrieve it there and wag it around. Is that true?

My second question has to do with buying cosmetics. I use Amore Pacific which is great but high priced. Will I be able to buy it cheaper in Seoul, especially if I leave the airport during the time I am there and go into the city or will the airport shops be the same price as the city? If it is pretty much the same price, I probably won’t bother. I am not much of a shopper otherwise. I just found out about the transit tours. It looks as though I would have time for a two hour one so I may do that if the cosmetic shopping is not worth the trip.

Third, if I do not do the shopping and do not find a tour I like, is there enough at the airport to keep me interested (and awake) for the almost 9 hours? I am flying on a Delta One ticket so I assume I can use a Korean lounge while transiting. Is that a good assumption?

HawaiiO Feb 12, 2019 12:24 pm

Should be able to check it all the way through to SIN if on the same ticket.

For cosmetics pricing, u can sometimes get really good deals in the shops downtown, better than at the airport but it all depends.
Once, the shop at the airport (outside of security) had even better deals than the ones in duty free or in downtown Seoul so it varies quite a bit I feel.
Some credit cards also give some discounts such as using Visa.
I think I got like an additional 10% off when paying by Visa at Lotte duty free.

I'm not sure if many shops will be open that early in Myeongdong, where there are lots of cosmetic shops.
U have to be back at the airport by latest 1.00pm which would only give u a very short time to shop in Myeongdong.
Not sure if it is worth it.
The selection at the airport duty free however is most definitely less than at shops that specialize in a particular brand.

You would be able to use the KE lounge as u are on Delta business class.

At the airport, not much to do but there is a spa type place outside of security at T1, not sure if there is one at T2(where KE is located).
There is also a cultural center past security where u can make Korean cultural items but that takes maybe 30 mins top.

1st Cav Vet Feb 12, 2019 5:52 pm

I have been in South Korea a lot. But I can only comment on one of your questions.

Firstly, I wish to mention that I have always found the South Koreans very friendly and welcoming.

On the issue of shopping, if I were you I would consider visiting an upscale hotel and discussing your product needs with a concierge. I believe that you might find extensive and reliable directions.

As an aside, if you have never eaten Kim Chi and do not have a cast-iron stomach, be careful of consuming too much.

Have a great time!

MSPeconomist Feb 12, 2019 6:15 pm

The KE lounges in the new terminal (which DL also uses) are pretty bad.

AFAIK the cultural center is on the top floor of the other old terminal (T1) and I'm not sure you can go there with a KE boarding pass. I think this area is airside but I'm not sure.

My instinct would be to try for one of the free tours offered by the airport. Given your timing, I wouldn't try to go downtown just to shop for cosmetics, but you should check prices and selection at the airport dutyfree. Alternatively, you could try to explore Incheon City or get a day pass (I assume this is still available, but check) for the spa and health club, including indoor pool(s) at the Grand Hyatt, which has frequent shuttle service to/from both terminals.

dlffla Feb 13, 2019 6:38 am

Thanks for the responses.

mikesaidyes Feb 18, 2019 7:46 pm

You have to stay in T2 OR go out into Seoul - can't float between terminals and you must have a BP for each terminal.

Amore Pacific actually wouldn't be that cheap to just buy it in Seoul at a store without hitting the 50,000W or so duty free mark every time.

I recommend using Lotte Duty Free or Shinsegae Duty Free app and checking prices there. I can absolutely say that the duty free price is a few dollars cheaper than the Korean store price you pay with tax even for the small stuff. Just got gifts for my USA trip. The Hera product was 32 in the store but 26 duty free app. And the duty free apps have a TON of coupons.

cagcag Mar 14, 2019 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30771241)
The KE lounges in the new terminal (which DL also uses) are pretty bad.

AFAIK the cultural center is on the top floor of the other old terminal (T1) and I'm not sure you can go there with a KE boarding pass. I think this area is airside but I'm not sure.

My instinct would be to try for one of the free tours offered by the airport. Given your timing, I wouldn't try to go downtown just to shop for cosmetics, but you should check prices and selection at the airport dutyfree. Alternatively, you could try to explore Incheon City or get a day pass (I assume this is still available, but check) for the spa and health club, including indoor pool(s) at the Grand Hyatt, which has frequent shuttle service to/from both terminals.

MSPeconomist, I will be in ICN for transit of about 11 hours from 06.30 to 17.30. I've never been to Seoul. Can you recommend one of the free transit tours listed on ICN website? Thanks

mikesaidyes Mar 16, 2019 2:31 am

If you absolutely must take a transit tour - do the 5 hr one "Traditional Sites." BUT know that if you do this - you are stuck with them. You cannot go away/aside as they do these tours with many people without visas so I've read and heard over the years.

Personally, I'd go and just do this myself to have the freedom to move around at your own speed.