Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Luxury Trip for 2

Luxury Trip for 2

Old Sep 7, 18, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ANA Diamond
Luxury Trip for 2

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some recommendations for a trip that im taking in June 2019. The Seoul leg will be the end of a month long RTW in F, and I'm looking for something special for my girlfriend. I'm not talking about staying in the Four Seasons or something similar, but more of a unique experience like Sankara (in Yakushima) or Amanpulo. Any recommendations are accepted and valued.
Old Sep 7, 18, 9:26 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
First of all, a luxury Korean experience can in no way compare to Japanese luxury. It does not mean that Korea does a bad job at this, they're just WILDLY different.

Luxury to a Korean IS a giant brand name hotel. There are many boutique hanok houses to stay in that you can find. Generally, the most expensive one will be the most luxurious. There is a Banyan Tree here, but the location is awful. You would need to look for like Four Seasons, Shilla Hotel, etc.

As far as food - Korean food with classical French trained or western culinary trained techniques are most popular here - Ryunique, Jungsikdang, Mingles. As far as Korean food there are MANY "fancy" Korean places - Samwon Garden, La Yeon in Shilla Hotel......

But if you give more detail of what specific luxury you want I can help hone it down.
Old Sep 7, 18, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes View Post
First of all, a luxury Korean experience can in no way compare to Japanese luxury. It does not mean that Korea does a bad job at this, they're just WILDLY different.

Luxury to a Korean IS a giant brand name hotel. There are many boutique hanok houses to stay in that you can find. Generally, the most expensive one will be the most luxurious. There is a Banyan Tree here, but the location is awful. You would need to look for like Four Seasons, Shilla Hotel, etc.

As far as food - Korean food with classical French trained or western culinary trained techniques are most popular here - Ryunique, Jungsikdang, Mingles. As far as Korean food there are MANY "fancy" Korean places - Samwon Garden, La Yeon in Shilla Hotel......

But if you give more detail of what specific luxury you want I can help hone it down.
Thanks for the reply, this is exactly the type of insight I was hoping to find!

As for the type of luxury, I'm looking for something memorable. In my mind hotels like the Four Seasons/St Regis/Andaz/Some Aman locations are all a tier below properties that come with a fantastic location. Something memorable. I used Sankara as an example because it's such an incredible hotel, that's also on the side of a cliff in the middle of a rain forest. It combines a one of a kind location while still on the level of luxury you'd find at the other properties I previously listed. I was trying to find some examples of this in Korea, but it was all the usual chain hotels, and couldn't find anything interesting. I would prefer an "authentic" Korean experience over a Western one, which includes food and living arrangements. I normally use SLH hotels for this kind of stuff, but they have nothing in Korea, same with Aman.
Old Sep 9, 18, 3:38 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
I'd check "luxury hanok Korea" luxury hanok Seoul etc. by Google

Also, there will be some resorts in the seaside towns of Gangneung, Jeju, Busan but you can't even remotely compare them to SE Asia.

Hope you find something!
Old Sep 10, 18, 12:33 am

Lotte hotel has a new very tall building/htoel called Lotte Signiel
https://www.lottehotel.com/seoul-signiel/en.html
Seems fancy with amazing views (from the webpage at least)

If u want something traditional like a Korean Hanok place (like japanese ryokan), it would be interesting too.
This webpage lists some nicer Hanok stays in Seoul
3 Luxurious Hanok Stays in Seoul | A Korea Travelogue: Your Insider's Guide to Korea

As for food, try one of "Korean royal cuisine" type meals and the Korean grilled hanwoo beef (similar to japanese wagyu) places.
I like the royal cuisine type meal.
It is quite different from normal meals but u have to be a bit adventurous or at least willing to try different food.
Old Sep 10, 18, 10:54 am

Stay at the Ryse in Hongdae. It;s brand new, trendy, nice rooms, good service and in the best area for fun, food, clubbing, and shopping. It's not super luxury but you will have a great time.
Old Sep 29, 18, 11:59 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Or wait for the Shilla Hanok hotel to open. Probably your greatest luxury Korean style option in the whole country. FS Seoul is definitely a nice home base to do all the market tours and Michelin dining you want.

Search this Thread