Shopping at ICN

Old Jul 21, 18, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Shopping at ICN

My flight out of ICN leaves at 9:00AM on a Monday. How much time should I allow after arriving at airport? How efficient is immigration and bag check?
Want to know because I want to allow time to do some duty free shopping.

Last edited by lavedder; Jul 21, 18 at 12:02 pm
Old Jul 21, 18, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Your question is unanswerable as written.
What airline (T1 or T2)?
What class of travel - Premium/business or economy? (If economy, you could be a while waiting to check a bag)
There is a no Fast Track or expedited security at ICN ... everyone in the same line(s).
How much time do you want for shopping?
Old Jul 22, 18, 3:27 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
Security lines and immigration are MUCH better now at Incheon in both terminals since T2 opened. I would get there at 7 AM. Besides, the airport doesn't really open that early anyway. If you arrive at like 6, minimal lines will be open (and clogged as such) and most duty free stores won't get going THAT early.

But 9 AM is peak departure time for USA flights and regional ones too, so all the stores will be open around 7-8.

One thing I ALWAYS do - download Lotte Duty Free or Shinsegae Duty Free App and just pick it up at the airport. Muuuuch easier and they have good discounts. As an American, I can say that things like cosmetics AFTER DUTY FREE discounts are the same price as home. I always compare on Amazon haha.
FlyingKansan likes this.
Old Jul 22, 18, 12:11 pm

edit

edit: pls remove
Old Jul 23, 18, 7:51 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Just to add some more info, bag check is dependent on your airline status and/or flying class. If you are flying biz or have airline status, then expect baggage check to be quick with minimal wait. If you are flying economy and no status, you might find long lines at the check in counter.
Old Jul 24, 18, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes View Post
[...]
One thing I ALWAYS do - download Lotte Duty Free or Shinsegae Duty Free App and just pick it up at the airport. Muuuuch easier and they have good discounts. As an American, I can say that things like cosmetics AFTER DUTY FREE discounts are the same price as home. I always compare on Amazon haha.
Not to hijack the thread, but I'll second that. Duty free bargains seem to be uncommon. Booze is commonly sold in smaller bottles for example-- 700ml is common in duty free shops, vs. 750ml that you usually buy elsewhere-- creating the appearance of a discount when there is none.

You gotta know your prices.

I went through 3 different duty free shops in ICN T2 looking at cigars, and I could find plenty of premium cigars... for 150% to 200% what I would expect to pay in the US.

Hope the OP finds some bargains!
Old Jul 25, 18, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Korean cosmetics is what I have in mind. Are the prices at airport duty free the same as duty free shops in town?
I will check prices online before I leave to do some comparison prices but a few of cosmetics are not available in the US.
Old Jul 27, 18, 10:09 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lavedder View Post
Korean cosmetics is what I have in mind. Are the prices at airport duty free the same as duty free shops in town?
I will check prices online before I leave to do some comparison prices but a few of cosmetics are not available in the US.
As mentioned above, duty free prices are often higher than those found at regular stores in Seoul, in regards to cosmetics. The only product my wife will buy at duty free are facemasks as they are heavily discounted.

Search this Thread