Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

JSA tour recommendation?

JSA tour recommendation?

Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors/IHG Diamond
JSA tour recommendation?

The threads I'm finding on this are very old.

I'm looking to take a half day JSA tour on a Saturday (maybe Friday).

Does anyone know of tours that leave later in the morning or early afternoon.

I really don't want to meet at a central point across town at 7:30 am.

Thank you
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
For JSA tours, the main operators are Cosmojin and Koridoor. They all follow the exact same itinerary since the JSA is government controlled and has strict rules. They simply just depart at different times during the day and also do different things before or after the JSA part. The price should all be the same, around 90$. Anything that's not 90$ doesn't include the JSA. They do have times throughout the day, including afternoon departures, but it varies based on the calendar/day. Do book ahead as it sells out in advance.

Any other companies you find should be the exact same price as Cosmojin and Koridoor. Websites like Korea Travel Easy and Trazy all sell tours for this and other things, and use the same operators. They are just different local companies doing the same thing.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the detailed information, but I can't locate any companies that offer tours that depart throughout the day.

Kosmojin - 8:00-15:00
Koridoor - no JSA only tour, only joint DMZ
Korea Travel Easy - DMZ only
Trazy - 9:30-15:30 (Tu-Fri only), but a lot of "fluff" like taking an extended lunch

I may rake the Trazy one only because it at least leaves later in the morning.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
We just took a tour organized by the Panmunjom Travel Center - specifically the tour with a North Korean defector - that I highly recommend. http://www.koreadmztour.com/program/program_1.asp

It leaves at 9:30 (check in at 9) from the Koreana Hotel, visits the JSA after lunch and is back in Seoul at 5. While not a late morning departure like you were looking for, I felt there was little "fluff" during the tour and the opportunity to speak with someone who until recently lived in North Korea was quite insightful.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

I did see that in my research. Thanks for the personal recommendation. Much better than anonymous reviews on travel sites. I may not be able to commit to that time frame, but definitely an option to consider.
RaginPlainsman likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:36 am

All JSA tours include other DMZ activities. The length and departure time are what varies by the day and the company. Some do more, some do less.

For insurance, Im looking at a 10:30 departure tour for my friend when she visits this month. But its still all day and ends at 6:30.

When I did it years ago, I left at 7:30 AM and was back by 3:30.

if you want to go to JSA, these companies are the only way. Cant go to the area and find something there, for instance. Bc government rules and security.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
All JSA tours include other DMZ activities. The length and departure time are what varies by the day and the company. Some do more, some do less.

For insurance, Im looking at a 10:30 departure tour for my friend when she visits this month. But its still all day and ends at 6:30.

When I did it years ago, I left at 7:30 AM and was back by 3:30.

if you want to go to JSA, these companies are the only way. Cant go to the area and find something there, for instance. Bc government rules and security.
Yes, the 6 hour tours are fine, and there appears to be many of them, but they all require you to be at a central meeting point between 7-9 am.

Since the actual JSA portion are afternoon visits, I don't need to take 90 minutes out for a sit-down lunch and added time for tourist shopping.

I'm looking for something, which may not exist, that departs later in the day and returns later in the day.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:05 am

Unfortunately, you are stuck with their times. The only solution I could think of would be to coordinate private driver to the JSA, get on the bus at the JSA, driver waits somewhere for you outside (like Dorasan Train Station), then you get back in with private driver and go back to Seoul. But I bet that'd cost a pretty penny, if even possible.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Unfortunately, you are stuck with their times. The only solution I could think of would be to coordinate private driver to the JSA, get on the bus at the JSA, driver waits somewhere for you outside (like Dorasan Train Station), then you get back in with private driver and go back to Seoul. But I bet that'd cost a pretty penny, if even possible.
I like that idea, but I know there has to be passport checks and arrangements in the days prior and am not sure I would trust the driver to figure that out. I did contact a couple private guides who claim to do JSA tours (yes, I know they don't conduct the actual JSA portion) and am waiting to hear back. Thanks.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:28 pm

IME the JSA is the raison d'tre for the tour. The rest of the stuff is pretty forgettable. If your schedule doesn't permit a tour which includes it, consider something else. There are many threads here with suggestions.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
IME the JSA is the raison d'tre for the tour. The rest of the stuff is pretty forgettable. If your schedule doesn't permit a tour which includes it, consider something else. There are many threads here with suggestions.
I think that's the best part too. I wouldn't waste my time doing any other tour that takes you to the Observatory or to buy DMZ souvenirs.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
I think that's the best part too. I wouldn't waste my time doing any other tour that takes you to the Observatory or to buy DMZ souvenirs.
I'm with you 100%. That why I didn't want to wake up at 5:30 to get to a central meeting point by 7 to take a 7-8 hour tour which includes 90 minutes for lunch and jewelry shopping. Too much to do in Seoul!
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:53 am
Original Poster

I found this company with an 11:00 am Saturday departure and booked it. Will advise how it turns out.

DMZ TOURS | Korea DMZ Tour Reservation Center - Seoul Tour Korea
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by saaveraward
I found this company with an 11:00 am Saturday departure and booked it. Will advise how it turns out.

DMZ TOURS Korea DMZ Tour Reservation Center - Seoul Tour Korea
Did you go on the tour yet? Interested in how it was.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Not yet, but will report back when I do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.