Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Korean with a one-way ticket

Old Feb 14, 18, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

I'm European and I'm going to Korea next week to study Korean. Even though I'm planning on staying for one year, I only applied to study 6 months, so I have a visa d-4-1 (language student) valid for that period of time.

Do I need to buy a return ticket now or can I just tell the immigration office that I still don't have one because I might extend my visa when I arrive at the airport?
I'm a bit afraid my entry might be refused if I don't have it (I read too many stories online)
Old Feb 14, 18, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Sarar0742 View Post
I'm European and I'm going to Korea next week to study Korean. Even though I'm planning on staying for one year, I only applied to study 6 months, so I have a visa d-4-1 (language student) valid for that period of time.

Do I need to buy a return ticket now or can I just tell the immigration office that I still don't have one because I might extend my visa when I arrive at the airport?
I'm a bit afraid my entry might be refused if I don't have it (I read too many stories online)
Can you ask the Korean consulate in your current location? It's been years and years since I dealt with this, so quite possibly it's not handled the same way now.
Old Feb 18, 18, 5:02 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
You have a visa in your passport. You don’t need to show a one way ticket or say anything detailed except “hello” to the immigration officer. Many people do this, myself included when I came here with an English teacher visa on a one way ticket.
Old May 4, 18, 7:30 pm

Just a reminder, though, that on long-haul flights there are usually significant discounts on round-trip tickets. Look into getting a ticket good for one year with an open return or a changeable return for a fee. It might cost not much more than your one-way ticket from Europe, depending on the airline.

(Sorry, didn't notice this was a February posting.)

Search this Thread