Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Incheon Employee English Ability

Old Dec 30, 17, 4:44 pm
FTA
Original Poster

Can I get some feedback on the English ability of Incheon employees? Do all employees speak English or only a % and how good is it?

Have to transfer either in Narita (Japan) or Incheon (South Korea) and am looking for the smoothest experience. Thanks all
Old Dec 31, 17, 3:20 am

Programs: MPC GR
Originally Posted by FTA View Post
Can I get some feedback on the English ability of Incheon employees? Do all employees speak English or only a % and how good is it?

Have to transfer either in Narita (Japan) or Incheon (South Korea) and am looking for the smoothest experience. Thanks all

I honestly have no idea what speaking English has to do with transit procedures. I transit at various airports 5-6 times a year and I rarely have to speak a word of any language except for the occasional mainland Chinese transit, and that's because of their asinine procedures.
All you have to do is to follow the English signs and Incheon is quite well equipped in that regard.
wxman22, trooper and cowie like this.
Old Dec 31, 17, 3:34 am

Programs: Delta PM
I've transferred at both in the last 13 months, twice each. I've never noticed a significant difference, though ICN seems bigger, more worldly with more shops if that's your thing. I like NRT because the walking distances are shorter, though less eating choices etc than ICN.
I've honestly never considered English speaking ability at any airport I've traveled. If nothing else I follow the crowd. Also, just like at ATC, English does seem to be the common denominator worldwide.
Old Dec 31, 17, 12:39 pm

The english is ok, the staff do get by. All the signs are in English as well. All the vendors at the airport speak acceptable English so buying food or drink will not be an issue. Airline staff are used to dealing with non Korean speaking passengers on a daily basis. You'll be fine.
Old Dec 31, 17, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Gold, ANA, Avios

Surely this is a joke.

You are aware airports like this have signs in English, screens showing gates and flight numbers in English etc. Vast, vast majority of passengers manage to make their connection without talking to a single person. It's not difficult.
gpy and cowie like this.
Old Dec 31, 17, 3:03 pm
FTA
Original Poster

Not everyone in the world travels for leisure or wants to travel period. I transferred through Beijing before and definitely don't want to again. Looking for the smoothest experience not something that has to be struggled through
Old Dec 31, 17, 3:53 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Gold, ANA, Avios
Not everyone in the world travels for leisure or wants to travel period. I transferred through Beijing before and definitely don't want to again. Looking for the smoothest experience not something that has to be struggled through
Possibly so, but most of people who "don't want to travel" are not members of FT.

ICN and NRT are a different and higher standard than Beijing. It will not be a "struggle"
gpy and cowie like this.
Old Dec 31, 17, 4:06 pm
FTA
Original Poster

People like me have to ask questions somewhere
Old Dec 31, 17, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
The level of English amongst ICN airport workers is level of magnitude greater than the level of Korean spoken at JFK/ORD/ATL/IAD and MIA combined.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 5, 18, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
This makes me despair a little. Try speaking English in Miami and see how far you get! You'll find no problem navigating ICN, it's one of the world's better organized airports and staff are consistently polite and courteous.
Just use the normal techniques when speaking with non-native English speakers. Don't speak loudly, it doesn't help. Use short, simple, uncomplicated sentences. Avoid jargon. Speak more slowly than usual.
And if you want airports where people really don't speak English, try Russia.
:D! and cowie like this.
Old Jan 15, 18, 7:22 pm
FTA
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catandmouse View Post
This makes me despair a little.
Yes, because you completely ignored my OP and issue
Old Jan 21, 18, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP LT Plat >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by wxman22 View Post
I've transferred at both in the last 13 months, twice each. I've never noticed a significant difference, though ICN seems bigger, more worldly with more shops if that's your thing. I like NRT because the walking distances are shorter, though less eating choices etc than ICN.
I've honestly never considered English speaking ability at any airport I've traveled. If nothing else I follow the crowd. Also, just like at ATC, English does seem to be the common denominator worldwide.
+1

Search this Thread