Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

using credit cards in seoul

Which credit card is commonly accepted in Seoul? VISA/MC/AMEX/DISC
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by iexpert
I've had success using Visa and MC. However, once in a while it would get rejected or some issue would come up. Swapping to another card worked sometimes, but be sure to have cash ready just in case.

For the rejections, I couldn't get details on what happened due to language barrier.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Visa and MC are universally accepted, Amex should be universally accepted and I'm not really sure about Discovery.

Not accepting credit cards is a surefire way to get hit by a tax audit in Korea because the IRS equivalent here takes citizen reports on places that don't take credit cards. And then the IRS equivalent will go nuclear assuming that the business in question is avoiding taxes.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
In six years, I have only at one place been refused use of my foreign card. He was just .....ing because of the higher fee he had to pay. No one will generally look at your card twice or think about it. Credit cards are accepted essentially everywhere....convenience stores, restaurants, all malls/department stores. The only places that will not take them (or try not to take them) are traditional markets and random street food stalls. Technically, it's the law, but a lot them don't.

You will need cash for getting a T-money card and loading subway fare onto it. No cards at all for that.

Visa/MC/Amex are all in circulation here. Discover card is not a brand here, but I believe they partner with the BC card network here which is huge.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Should not be a problem at major stores and restaurants. Traditional markets won't take them though.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:53 am

Visa and MC will be no issue. Amex and Discover are rarely accepted. Credit card acceptance is pervasive in Korea so almost everywhere you go will accept it except for public transit systems and street vendors.

Beware of DCC if you don't speak Korean. Some merchants will just process the transaction for you and convert it to your home currency without asking you and the conversion rate is much worse than what your credit card company would charge you.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by B407
Visa and MC will be no issue. Amex and Discover are rarely accepted. Credit card acceptance is pervasive in Korea so almost everywhere you go will accept it except for public transit systems and street vendors.

Beware of DCC if you don't speak Korean. Some merchants will just process the transaction for you and convert it to your home currency without asking you and the conversion rate is much worse than what your credit card company would charge you.
Restaurant transaction systems are not this complicated and just process as Korean won. Same for normal stores. Only major department stores might have this conversion option.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Restaurant transaction systems are not this complicated and just process as Korean won. Same for normal stores. Only major department stores might have this conversion option.
Funny you should mention that, the only time I got DCCed without being asked was at a restaurants. Clerk just took my card swiped it and asked me to sign on the screen. Didn't realize until after I scrutinized the receipt which was printed in Korean that I realized I got DCCed. Since my Korean skills were pretty much non existant, I just let it go.

At major retailers, DCC is always an option, but the clerk always leaves it up to you to select whether you want to do it on the terminal.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hotels will have DCC too. Just tell them local currency.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

What is DCC? Which option to pick?? How will it be presented?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DCC means Dynamic currency conversion. Usually appears as a choice KRW or (your currency). It has a surcharge higher than what your bank would charge you so I always say go with KRW.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

will it prompt me on the machine or will cashier ask? I don't speak Korean..
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

will it prompt me on the machine or will cashier ask? I don't speak Korean..
Should prompt you on the machine and some cashiers will also ask.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by B407
Funny you should mention that, the only time I got DCCed without being asked was at a restaurants. Clerk just took my card swiped it and asked me to sign on the screen. Didn't realize until after I scrutinized the receipt which was printed in Korean that I realized I got DCCed. Since my Korean skills were pretty much non existant, I just let it go.

At major retailers, DCC is always an option, but the clerk always leaves it up to you to select whether you want to do it on the terminal.
Interesting. Was it just a random hole in the wall restaurant? Typically all that pops up is the "sign pad" and confirm. I've never had anyone stop me, ask me if I was using a foreign card or seen anything unusual offering the DCC.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Interesting. Was it just a random hole in the wall restaurant? Typically all that pops up is the "sign pad" and confirm. I've never had anyone stop me, ask me if I was using a foreign card or seen anything unusual offering the DCC.
Yes they were hole in the wall restaurants. What they did was turn the terminal towards them swiped my card and pressed all the options for me and turned it back to me when it was prompting for signature. I don't think they were trying to scam me, they knew I didn't speak Korean so I think they thought they were trying to be helpful by doing everything for me and assumed I would have wanted to be billed in my home currency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.