Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Morning ICN departure : where to stay?

Old Nov 21, 17, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

I will soon be traveling to Seoul for the first time. My Tuesday morning Delta departure flight is 11:15. I will probably be staying at the Grand Seoul Parnas.

Is it reasonable to go from the hotel to the airport Tuesday morning? Or would it be better to find a hotel close to the airport for Monday night?
Old Nov 21, 17, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Tom45 View Post
I will soon be traveling to Seoul for the first time. My Tuesday morning Delta departure flight is 11:15. I will probably be staying at the Grand Seoul Parnas.

Is it reasonable to go from the hotel to the airport Tuesday morning? Or would it be better to find a hotel close to the airport for Monday night?
Seoul Parnas is pretty much connected to the city airport terminal. Literally around the corner from the front entrance, or you can get there through the property/mall connection underground (which takes longer). 11:15am departure time means you should get to the city terminal no later than 8am. One of the main benefits of using the city terminal is not having to deal with the long lines at the airport since you take care of all that beforehand, including immigration. With a 45 minute transit time, you'll probably save around 30 min and $6.00 by booking a hotel very close to the airport.
Old Nov 21, 17, 5:18 pm

Programs: MPC GR

The only hotel near the airport of a similar caliber is the Grand Hyatt Incheon and since the CALT is right next door, it's not worth moving. Get to the CALT 4 hours earlier, check-in, go through immigration, and then when you get to ICN, you can use the fast track.

The only potential problem would be traffic jams on the expressway on the way to the airport.
Old Nov 21, 17, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by corbomite View Post
The only hotel near the airport of a similar caliber is the Grand Hyatt Incheon and since the CALT is right next door, it's not worth moving. Get to the CALT 4 hours earlier, check-in, go through immigration, and then when you get to ICN, you can use the fast track.

The only potential problem would be traffic jams on the expressway on the way to the airport.
I've been in some bad traffic jams in heavy rain when leaving from ICN. I prefer to spend the night at the GH ICN, although it can be expensive for what it is. I like the fact that the hotel's airport shuttle runs about four times per hour. (There's also a free public airport bus alternative, mainly for airport and airline employees, that stops at the corner of the hotel.)

Some additional hotels have recently opened near ICN. However, be aware that Incheon village is far from the airport. Travel time from some of these "airport hotels" can be no better than from most of Seoul itself.

If you want to spend the last night downtown, consider a hotel where you can walk to the main train station and go to the airport that way, thereby avoiding concerns about traffic jams on the highway.
Old Nov 21, 17, 5:40 pm

I've only checked in for late departure flights from City Airport Terminal, so take this with a grain of salt, but IC Grand Parnas did have a shuttle van which can run you over to CAT. Dunno what the operating hours were/are; you might want to check with the front desk. But if you have to, it's not a long walk, provided your baggage isn't an issue. I'm sure other hotels around CAT have similar service.

I was recently instructed by Korean Air that I should consider checking in to CAT 3.5 hours before my flight, but again, I've not checked in for a flight before 2 pm via CAT. But this was through their "Voice of the Customer" Web form, and probably answered by someone here in the USA, not someone on the ground in the ROK.

Take it for what it's worth, but the earliest you can go through immigration at CAT is 6:00 a.m.
Old Nov 21, 17, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. It looks like the CAT doesn't handle Delta passengers. So it seems my best options are to get from Seoul Parnas to the main train station by 7 am and take the express train to the airport, or move to a hotel close to the airport for the last night.
Old Nov 21, 17, 7:32 pm

I don't see much benefit in changing hotel, the airport train is pretty simple. There's an 8:10am train which gets in just before 9 which get's you to the airport more than 2 hours before your flight which is enough time to have things go wrong, have queues and get through without panic. Only thing I'll say is it can take 5 mins to catch the elevator down to the platform so get to the train station at say 7:50 and you'll buy your ticket and get downstairs in 10 minutes comfortably so won't be stressed there. Even better, buy your ticket the day before so you know exactly where you're going and don't have the hassle of getting the ticket in the morning.
Old Nov 21, 17, 10:10 pm

Programs: WP
OP are you on DL158 on Nov 28th? If so I am also on that flight. I am staying at a hotel near Seoul station and plan to take the AREX to ICN around 8am, takes about 48mins. You can't buy AREX tickets the day before, so plan to get to the Seoul Station before 8am to get tickets, and yes the elevator ride to the express platform takes a while. The only concern will be security at ICN at that time, and I am hoping a Tuesday morning should be slow. My previous experience at ICN has been a toss up of slow and fast through security.
Old Nov 22, 17, 1:27 am

Programs: MPC GR
Thanks for the information. It looks like the CAT doesn't handle Delta passengers. So it seems my best options are to get from Seoul Parnas to the main train station by 7 am and take the express train to the airport, or move to a hotel close to the airport for the last night.
Are you sure about that? The CALT(Samsung-dong, not Seoul Station) site does say that they do handle Delta passengers. The CAT at Seoul Station is the one that doesn't handle Delta passengers.

http://www.calt.co.kr/
Old Nov 22, 17, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corbomite View Post
Are you sure about that? The CALT(Samsung-dong, not Seoul Station) site does say that they do handle Delta passengers. The CAT at Seoul Station is the one that doesn't handle Delta passengers.

http://www.calt.co.kr/
Thanks for that. Zippy's link defaulted to Seoul Station and I didn't realize that there is a second site. Now I do.

Is Samsung-dong the one that is within walking distance of the Seoul Parnas hotel in Gangnam? If so, that is the best option by far.

Edit to add that I found a map on the site at your link showing that the hotel is adjacent as stated by an earlier reply.

Last edited by Tom45; Nov 22, 17 at 8:31 am
Old Nov 22, 17, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by island82 View Post
OP are you on DL158 on Nov 28th? If so I am also on that flight. I am staying at a hotel near Seoul station and plan to take the AREX to ICN around 8am, takes about 48mins. You can't buy AREX tickets the day before, so plan to get to the Seoul Station before 8am to get tickets, and yes the elevator ride to the express platform takes a while. The only concern will be security at ICN at that time, and I am hoping a Tuesday morning should be slow. My previous experience at ICN has been a toss up of slow and fast through security.
I'm one week later than you: DL 158 on December 5th.

Thanks to corbomite I now know that I can check in at Samsung-dong for Delta flights which is adjacent to my hotel.
Old Nov 22, 17, 8:32 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Thanks for that. Zippy's link defaulted to Seoul Station and I didn't realize that there is a second site. Now I do.

Is Samsung-dong the one that is within walking distance of the Seoul Parnas hotel in Gangnam? If so, that is the best option by far.
It's about a 10-15 min walk from the Parnas Intercontinental.
Old Nov 22, 17, 11:09 am

Programs: WP
I'm one week later than you: DL 158 on December 5th.

Thanks to corbomite I now know that I can check in at Samsung-dong for Delta flights which is adjacent to my hotel.
Ok nice. Not sure if the new TSA requirements will impact in city check in for Delta.
OT: Check your seat assignment, it looks like for my flight, DL has change the equipment from the A350 back to the 747
Old Nov 22, 17, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by island82 View Post
Ok nice. Not sure if the new TSA requirements will impact in city check in for Delta.
OT: Check your seat assignment, it looks like for my flight, DL has change the equipment from the A350 back to the 747
I just checked my seat assignment and no problems so far. I have a 747 upper deck seat, so being switched to an A350 wouldn't be welcome.

Search this Thread