FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Korea (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korea-714/)
-   -   8 hour layover at ICN (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korea/1876744-8-hour-layover-icn.html)

rrz518 Nov 9, 2017 5:04 pm

8 hour layover at ICN

Arriving at 6am and departing at 2pm...Korean air.

I would really love to get into Seoul, even for a short time. I understand there's an express (45 minute) train that goes to Seoul central station.

A few questions:

- Is the immigration process time consuming (both exiting and re-entering)?

- I'm flying business on all segments, will that help the immigration at all?

- Once I get to that station, where should I go/what should I do? I would like to sample some treats and maybe see a little of the city.

- I'm thinking I'd arrive in Seoul at about 7am and then should head back out around 11am.

I have NO idea what to see or do in Seoul, just seems a shame to waste all that time at the airport. A mini visit would be better than none?

Or....would you recommend against it?

Thanks!!!

corbomite Nov 9, 2017 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by rrz518 (Post 29041895)
Arriving at 6am and departing at 2pm...Korean air.

I would really love to get into Seoul, even for a short time. I understand there's an express (45 minute) train that goes to Seoul central station.

A few questions:

- Is the immigration process time consuming (both exiting and re-entering)?

Entry may be rather long because there are a lot of flights that arrive in the early morning. Exit should be relatively empty unless it's a weekend.

- I'm flying business on all segments, will that help the immigration at all?

Fast track doesn't exist at ICN unless you're arriving after Terminal 2 opens next year (Jan 18)

- Once I get to that station, where should I go/what should I do? I would like to sample some treats and maybe see a little of the city.

You could see the palaces in the morning and maybe Bukchon where there are a lot of traditional houses

mikesaidyes Nov 10, 2017 12:12 am

To be perfectly honest, that's a very FAST time to see stuff. Seoul is pretty quiet at 7 AM except for breakfast places. You'd have to move quickly, and stick to the Gyeongbokgung/Insadong/Jongno/Gwangjang Market area.

There is also an all stop train that takes like 55 minutes. Only ten minutes or so more. Download the app Kakao Metro and it will tell you the time of the next train. You take it to Seoul Station and then can transfer to Subway Line 1 to get you to Jongno 3 Station or Line 4, depending on where you want to go.

If you are flying Korean Air, you should visit the AREX Immigration Office at Seoul Station with your boarding pass for your flight OUT of Seoul. They can stamp your boarding pass there. This means that, at ICN airport, you can use the Crew Security Entrances (on the side of the main entrances to each security checkpoint) without any wait. This means you can spend more time at the airport.

Korean Air ALWAYS boards 30 minutes before the flight. Never starts earlier. So, if your flight is 2, you can be at the gate at 1:30. If you do the Seoul Station immigration and get the security clearance, you can be at the airport at like 1. 10 min walk from the train. Buy you some time.