Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Seoul with the Family

Seoul with the Family

Old Oct 21, 17, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Seoul with the Family

My spouse and I will be taking our 3 kids (2,5,7) and my inlaws to Seoul in November 2017. We're looking for a hotel but undecided what we should do.

We will be staying for 6 nights (a few nights in Japan) and then another 12 nights. We will get getting 2 rooms.

Some requirements:
-up to $200USD/night/room
-Clean
-Free wifi
-relatively central to the core of Seoul
-relatively child friendly
-we don't require the rooms to be cleaned everyday

It would be nice if it had:
-laundry facility
-kitchenette

Is it better to join a points program or just try to get a good deal with an independant hotel? Should we be considering Airbnb?

Some hotels that we're considering:
-Vista Walkerhill Seoul
-The Shilla Seoul
-The Classic 500 Executive Residence Pentaz
-Courtyard Seoul Namdaemun
-Hotel Cappuccino
-Novotel Suites Ambassador Seoul Yongsan (Opening Oct. 2017)

Thank you for your opinions!
Old Oct 21, 17, 9:57 pm

We are leaving this week with our 4 and 2 year olds and a local friend of ours suggested the Fraser Central Seoul based on other friends who visited with kids. It's around that price and is more like an apartment. We decided to book at the G2 based on the prices we got for next week. The extra space at the Fraser sounded wonderful for us. The G2 is more of a standard hotel, but they have free laundry and it's brand new. I can update when we return.
Old Oct 22, 17, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LittleBlackBug View Post
We are leaving this week with our 4 and 2 year olds and a local friend of ours suggested the Fraser Central Seoul based on other friends who visited with kids. It's around that price and is more like an apartment. We decided to book at the G2 based on the prices we got for next week. The extra space at the Fraser sounded wonderful for us. The G2 is more of a standard hotel, but they have free laundry and it's brand new. I can update when we return.
we looked at those initially, but I disregarded/forgot about them as we were planning. Fraser Central and G2 seem like good options too.

Are you going to rent a portable Wi-Fi while youíre there? Iím debating. From what I recall, free Wi-Fi was available at a lot of landmarks and restaurants.
Old Oct 22, 17, 7:46 am

Programs: Aadvantage
Just returned from a good week at the Four Points Sheraton. Didn't have kids with us though. Great hotel with laundry facilities. Best feature: five minute walk to Seoul station so everything accessible.
Get the Sim or Wifi hub. Finding wifi (free) around Seoul was a drag
Old Oct 22, 17, 9:24 am

We are renting phones so we can connect with friends and family since our phones are locked. We will use wifi for our US phones as it's available.
Old Oct 22, 17, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Very very few hotel rooms in Seoul will have kitchenettes unless you book a specialty suite (at a luxury hotel) that has a hospitality/catering kitchen. Such hotels are unlikely to have self service laundry facilities.

You seem to be asking for an extended stay hotel and I can't recall seeing the usual USA brands like Residence Inn, element, Towne Place Suites, etc. in Korea or Asia in general.

Also, I'm not sure that the serviced flat places will accept a booking for only six nights.

Expect all hotels, including the extended stay variety as well as serviced flats, to have strictly occupancy rules that are enforced. You can also expect fewer connected adjoining rooms than in many USA properties, so don't count on this unless you have a written confirmation that there will be a direct door between your two rooms.
Old Oct 22, 17, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by feedthetraveller View Post
My spouse and I will be taking our 3 kids (2,5,7) and my inlaws to Seoul in November 2017. [...]

Thank you for your opinions!
We tried AirBnB in Seoul for the first time with our kids in 2015. We're going back next year and plan to do about 2/3 of the stay using AirBnB.

The villa we stayed in previously is one we're considering; we're not 100% on it for two reasons: my kids repeatedly clogged the toilet last time (weak flush, among other things), and we wanted to see if we could do better for the same money.

Hotels in Korea can be pricey, especially the nicer ones. Eating at restaurants for every meal can also be pricey, not to mention unhealthy. The ideal AirBnB arrangement will be easily accessible from public transit (read: subway), and close to a grocery store. Yes, you can taxi it going to/from the grocery store, but if you're shopping on foot there is a limited amount you can carry, even if you press-gang the kids into carrying a bag or two, so it's nice to be close.
Old Oct 22, 17, 11:46 am

Programs: UA (1K), OZ (Diamond)
Provista Hotel

Take a look at Provista Hotel:

http://www.provista.co.kr/html/eng/ap/ap_040.asp

We stayed there two times (one week and three weeks). It is close to subway, supermarket, tons of restaurants and the rooms have kitchenette and washing machine & dryer (in each room, not in a common area).

The English version of their site is poor. Book it through Agoda, Kaligo, Rocket Miles or Points Hound and get some miles too.
Old Oct 22, 17, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carteeb View Post
Just returned from a good week at the Four Points Sheraton. Didn't have kids with us though. Great hotel with laundry facilities. Best feature: five minute walk to Seoul station so everything accessible.
Get the Sim or Wifi hub. Finding wifi (free) around Seoul was a drag
thank you. We will certainly consider the Four Points.
Old Oct 22, 17, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Very very few hotel rooms in Seoul will have kitchenettes unless you book a specialty suite (at a luxury hotel) that has a hospitality/catering kitchen. Such hotels are unlikely to have self service laundry facilities.

You seem to be asking for an extended stay hotel and I can't recall seeing the usual USA brands like Residence Inn, element, Towne Place Suites, etc. in Korea or Asia in general.

Also, I'm not sure that the serviced flat places will accept a booking for only six nights.

Expect all hotels, including the extended stay variety as well as serviced flats, to have strictly occupancy rules that are enforced. You can also expect fewer connected adjoining rooms than in many USA properties, so don't count on this unless you have a written confirmation that there will be a direct door between your two rooms.
That seems to be the problem that weíre running into. A kitchenette, itís t completely necessary but laundry is quite important. I noticed that no properties advertise adjoining rooms but I guess itís because they are rare.

However, I made an error. We will be booking one room from Nov 13 straight until Dec 2.

Thanks for the insight.
Old Oct 22, 17, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead View Post
We tried AirBnB in Seoul for the first time with our kids in 2015. We're going back next year and plan to do about 2/3 of the stay using AirBnB.

The villa we stayed in previously is one we're considering; we're not 100% on it for two reasons: my kids repeatedly clogged the toilet last time (weak flush, among other things), and we wanted to see if we could do better for the same money.

Hotels in Korea can be pricey, especially the nicer ones. Eating at restaurants for every meal can also be pricey, not to mention unhealthy. The ideal AirBnB arrangement will be easily accessible from public transit (read: subway), and close to a grocery store. Yes, you can taxi it going to/from the grocery store, but if you're shopping on foot there is a limited amount you can carry, even if you press-gang the kids into carrying a bag or two, so it's nice to be close.
Weíve been looking at Airbnb as well, but weíre afraid that the house will be sub par to our definition of clean. We arenít super picky but it would be annoying. However, youíre right, eating out every meal will get old, really fast.
Old Oct 22, 17, 5:43 pm

Weíve been looking at Airbnb as well, but weíre afraid that the house will be sub par to our definition of clean. We arenít super picky but it would be annoying. However, youíre right, eating out every meal will get old, really fast.
I can't claim a wide range of experience with AirBnB in Seoul. The place we stayed at seemed clean enough, but I'm sure AirBnB places exhibit a range of cleanliness, just like hotels do. Dunno about you, but my MO upon checking in to any hotel, no matter how clean it appears, is a quick tour of the room with disinfecting wipes, and I do the same upon checking into an AirBnB. I'm not like Howard Hughes was toward the end of his life, but I wipe down the stuff I expect to touch, like the remote, the doorknobs, and so forth.

I don't think you need to look for reviews on AirBnB that explicitly mention cleanliness, but rather, you can interpret a lack of negative comments related to cleanliness as an implicit indicator.

Regarding restaurants, not every neighborhood is the same, but we're pretty familiar with the area where we stayed in the Seoul AirBnB villa depicted in the linked thread, and we were pretty surprised with the proliferation of western fast food in that neighborhood (and the relatively small number of mom & pop-type local restaurants that are still in business). It would have required a pretty diligent effort on our part to eat healthy (read: not eat western fast food) if we'd just eaten in restaurants. We found a couple of decent places nearby, but it was really helpful having the kitchenette (and laundry) in the apartment we stayed in.

We are looking carefully at a few AirBnB places for next year, and in general I regard lots of reviews as a healthy sign. There are many to choose from.
Old Oct 22, 17, 6:06 pm

The Airbnb I stayed at in Seoul was very clean. I noticed in Seoul many people own condo units that they exclusively rent out on Airbnb as a business. They are not generally homes that people live in as their principal residence and rent out when they're away. Therefore, they are typically almost run like hotels and the hosts generally maintain high cleanliness standards.
Old Oct 23, 17, 5:53 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
Absolutely do NOT stay at Walkerhill. It is RIDICULOUSLY far from anything in central Seoul. It is at the Far East of Seoul isolated up a Hill. Even for mean in Gangnam Southeast side close to the river, itís annoying to reach.

With kids that young, youíll want to look for a serviced residence. Orokai (previously Fraser Suites) in Jongno and Art Nouveau in Gangnam come to mind.

With kids that young, I would also stay near Myeongdong/Jongno/City Hall area. All of your tourist attractions and museums are there so thatís where youíd be most of the time. And easy to get back. With 5 people total, you wonít be able to share a taxi, so you canít just hop in one in case of emergency melt down. And Gangnam traffic can be brutal. For kids, really all there is in Gangnam is the aquariums and Lotte World. Just go there for a day by subway.

the Classic 500 is in the middle of a busy university neighborhood. Definitely not kid friendly, the surrounding streets. Full of young kids partying every night.
Old Oct 23, 17, 5:54 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
And I am confident in AirBnB you can find proper apartments for rent that are used for vacationers only. Like Korean family apartments in the big high rises with two bedrooms etc. just have to look around.

Search this Thread