Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Craft Beer Locations in Seoul?

Old Sep 17, 17, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Last time I was in Seoul I was pleasantly surprised to find some Old Rasputin in a bar somewhere between Hyoja Dong and Naeja Dong. It was bottled, and that was about all they had, but it was a welcome diversion. Later, in other places, I found some Sculpin and Bigeye, also bottled, but they were old/improperly stored, so the taste was a bit off, which was unfortunate, considering what I paid. Sculpin was big money everywhere I found it.

So anyway, the one constant in Seoul seems to be a certain kind of rapid change. Where do you beer lovers go these days to get a pint or two of decent IPA or something good? Draft would be great, but any port in a storm.
Old Sep 18, 17, 6:05 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
There are tooooooo many craft beer places to list in Seoul now. The most famous ones are Craftworks and Magpie. Most of these craft beer bars are concentrated in Itaewon/Haebangchon/Gyeongridan.

A unique option would be Woori Super in Gyeongridan. This is technically an old convenience store that is converted into selling craft/imported beers only. Like too many to count and list and each time you browse you have to spend a ton of time. They have a very, very impressive selection. Outside of the store are tons of tables where you can sit and drink the night away and it's very lively. I definitely recommend it.

https://www.trazy.com/spot/3313/woor...estaurant-cafe
zippy the pinhead likes this.
Old Sep 18, 17, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Greatly appreciate that tip, and I'm willing to check it out. Regarding the craft beer places, there are a lot around here as well, and some are worth going out of your way for, and some aren't.

Over here it is widely accepted that beer and food offers the best profit potential, so most craft beer places offer some gastro-pub grub. Stone down in Escondido, Ballast Point in San Diego and Long Beach, Sierra Nevada in Chico, and Russian River in Santa Rosa (a.k.a., RRBC), all of them are worth going out of your way for. The grub at RRBC is iffy, but the beer more than makes up for it.

Over here, Yardhouse can be OK, but there is a host of inferior venues. Magpie and Craftworks seem to be well-regarded, can you compare them to anything stateside?
Old Sep 18, 17, 10:22 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
When I was in the states last (2007-2011 in particular), craft beer was just starting to blow up in Atlanta with the rise of Sweetwater, Terrapin, etc. so it wasn't as full blown as it is now. Like when I was back in the States last month, the sheer selection and drinking of craft beer was 1,000,000x higher than the past.

Search this Thread