Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Is this too tight a connection (2hr 25min GMP-ICN)

Old Jul 30, 17, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, CX MPC Gold, Avis preferred plus, MyWaitrose card

Hi

Looking at booking an itinerary with the following flights on the return leg:

16:55 KE1332 RSU to GMP arr 17:50
then
20:15 CX419 ICN to HKG.

That gives me 2hrs 25 mins connection time - is that likely to be sufficient to allow transit between GMP and ICN? I will be travelling with luggage, in J. This is on a Friday evening, if that makes any difference?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 31, 17, 2:36 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
I think that it could work if everything lines up. If you have bags, you will have to be at the counter to drop them presumably 1 hr ahead at 7:15. In theory this means arriving at airport at 7 to factor in walk from train area/find counter etc.

It is about a 30-35 minute taxi ride (35 USD) or bus (7$) .....or a 35-40 minute train ride (3.5$). I would err with train in case of surprise traffic. Factor in a walk down to train add 5-10 minutes.

So if you land at 5:50, off plane by 6. You will beat your bags to belt bc small airport. Wait 15 mins for bags max (hypothetical worst case guess). I just checked apps. If you are on train 6:30 arrive 7:08 at Incheon. You would have to sprint a long distance to make check in by 7:15.

Obviously if you take bus/taxi it is better as it is door to door and that can save 20 minutes... but traffic could also destroy that time, too.

Another option would be KTX train to Yongsan Station. Trains run all day. At Yongsan, you can take subway line 1 OR a cheap taxi to Seoul Station. From Seoul Station there is the Airport Line. Seoul Station to Incheon check in counters with walk is about an hour.
Old Jul 31, 17, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
I take it this is on two separate tickets? IN that case you don't have a connection, just two unrelated flights. If you don't show up in time for check-in at ICN, your entire CX ticket will be cancelled. What will you do if the KE flight is cancelled, for example?

Search this Thread