Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

ICN: 1.5 hours enough for immigration, baggage, customs, SIM card, and KTX boarding?

ICN: 1.5 hours enough for immigration, baggage, customs, SIM card, and KTX boarding?

Old Apr 4, 17, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Question ICN: 1.5 hours enough for immigration, baggage, customs, SIM card, and KTX boarding?

Hi everyone! Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I'm visiting Korea for the first time in two weekends, and I'm wondering if the following is crazy or doable:

- Land in ICN on Monday at 5:00 p.m.
- Go through immigration (U.S. passport)
- Pick up one checked bag
- Go through customs (nothing to declare)
- Pick up pre-purchased SIM card (KT Roaming Center by gate 10)
- Pick up pre-purchased KTX ticket*
- Board KTX to Busan by 6:30 p.m.

(*) What I've printed looks very much like a ready-to-use ticket, but I believe it's merely a voucher I'm supposed to exchange for an "actual" ticket.

The next train is not until after 8 p.m., so I'd very much like to make the 6:30. I've already booked that one, but if you guys think this will be tough or impossible, I should probably cave in and switch to the later train now (as opposed to chancing it and having to exchange at the station, pay a penalty, and risk having no good seats).

Thank you very much in advance!
Old Apr 4, 17, 4:27 pm

I would say extremely unlikely. If you're arriving on an international flight, getting off the plane can already take 15-30 minutes if you're on a full 777, unless you're flying first or business. Immigration isn't slow at ICN but not the fastest either. Also depending on the time of day, the terminals can be crowded with people who will also slow you down as well.

No experience with the KTX booth at ICN, but did the ticket pick up at Seoul Station before and I wouldn't necessarily describe it as quick either. There was a bit of a language barrier, but if you speak Korean then you probably will have less of an issues. Also the ICN staff might speak better English.
Old Apr 4, 17, 10:05 pm

Programs: MPC GR
Originally Posted by basteagow View Post
Hi everyone! Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I'm visiting Korea for the first time in two weekends, and I'm wondering if the following is crazy or doable:

- Land in ICN on Monday at 5:00 p.m.
- Go through immigration (U.S. passport)
- Pick up one checked bag
- Go through customs (nothing to declare)
- Pick up pre-purchased SIM card (KT Roaming Center by gate 10)
- Pick up pre-purchased KTX ticket*
- Board KTX to Busan by 6:30 p.m.

(*) What I've printed looks very much like a ready-to-use ticket, but I believe it's merely a voucher I'm supposed to exchange for an "actual" ticket.

The next train is not until after 8 p.m., so I'd very much like to make the 6:30. I've already booked that one, but if you guys think this will be tough or impossible, I should probably cave in and switch to the later train now (as opposed to chancing it and having to exchange at the station, pay a penalty, and risk having no good seats).

Thank you very much in advance!
5AM is the peak time for arrivals, so the airport will be packed with a capital P. Also depending on which gate your flight docks at you are looking at a max 10-15 minute walk to immigration. I wouldn't try getting through the airport with your schedule when there is a checked bag.
Old Apr 5, 17, 1:56 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
If you want to try it, you can. I don't think you will make it BUT even if you miss the train, you can get a refund for the ticket even after departure. They just keep a tiny fee, like 2-3,000W of the ticket or something.

If you do miss the train, there are many many more leaving from Seoul Station. Take AREX to Seoul Station then you can take a train from there to Busan. Trains leave from Seoul station literally every 10-20 minutes.
Old May 1, 17, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Update: I made the train with time to spare! My flight was early so I had a head start, but I would've made it comfortably regardless. Deplaning and immigration were a breeze; so much so that I beat my checked bag to the carousel. Customs took 15 seconds, SIM card pickup five minutes, and my preprinted KTX ticket turned out to be an actual, ready-to-use ticket. I had so much time left over that I ate dinner, got cash, and purchased and loaded a T-money card.
Old May 2, 17, 12:59 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
Ah good to hear. If you are a quick footed traveler, and the stars all line up, it can be done. BUT at ICN, in the mornings, if you get behind two full planes, immigration can take some time. Same for the evenings. All the American/Europe flights arriving plus everything else.
Old May 31, 17, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes View Post
Ah good to hear. If you are a quick footed traveler, and the stars all line up, it can be done. BUT at ICN, in the mornings, if you get behind two full planes, immigration can take some time. Same for the evenings. All the American/Europe flights arriving plus everything else.
I know I'm way late to this thread, but I've found that as a foreigner I can go through the line at immigration pretty fast if I was on a KAL or OZ flight - as I'm usually the only foreigner on those so there's no line at immigration.
Old Jun 21, 17, 6:58 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Would I be able to make it to the 20:38 KTX train if I arrive at 18:45? Arriving on BR160 in Business Class. Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 17, 9:43 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Originally Posted by hayzel7773 View Post
Would I be able to make it to the 20:38 KTX train if I arrive at 18:45? Arriving on BR160 in Business Class. Thanks!
Almost two hours? Plenty of time!

Search this Thread