Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Korea (South), visa free entry, passport validity requirements?

Old Feb 17, 17, 12:32 am
Original Poster

As a national of one of the countries part of the Korean visa waiver programme, and as I am traveling for tourism purposes, I can enter visa free for 90 days. (And, as another condition they might require you to prove that you have sufficient funds for your stay.)

I also know that when you would apply for a visa, Korean immigration requires you to have a passport which has a remaining validity of at least 3 months.

My question: when making use of the visa free entry, does Korean immigration also has a restriction on the remaining passport validity?

Does TIMATIC provide more insight in this case?
Old Feb 17, 17, 1:43 am
Original Poster

A search on the Emirates website, visa and passport information, with data sourced from TIMATIC web, clearly states:

Passport and other documents accepted for entry must be valid on arrival.

Visa required.

Visa exemptions. Nationals of X for a maximum of 90 days.

But I am eager to hear your feedback, experience, or other information sources.
Old Feb 17, 17, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Impressive: the Korean embassy in my country answered after only a few hours:

The Korean immigration officer will not ask to you the 3 or 6 month valid passport at the border.

It will be ok, If your passport is valid during your staying,
Old Feb 18, 17, 5:22 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Moving the thread to the Korea forum.

NewbieRunner, Senior Moderator
Old Apr 3, 17, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Explat, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I will be leaving the US for 1 year in Korea as a student beginning in August. The Korean University is notoriously slow at processing paperwork for international students, and I will likely not get the paperwork required for student visa until 2-3 weeks before departure. I am not going to be in the US at that time, and not until just days before leaving again for Korea, at which point there will not be enough time for me to apply for a visa in the US. Would I be able to travel to Korea as a tourist, and then apply for a student visa in person with paperwork in hand while in Seoul? Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 17, 10:35 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
You need to check with the school about that. I am an English teacher here and there is something many of us do called a visa run. That means that you come to Seoul with necessary documents first. You enter the country as a tourist. Then, you coordinate with your school on paperwork. You must leave the country and visit another country's Korean embassy and apply for the visa there.

Most teachers go to Japan for the visa run, BUT there are new rules about timing and each consulate is different in Japan. I think it's something like Fukuoka takes 3 days, Osaka 4 and Tokyo 5 days to process. Others also go to Hong Kong. Realistically, you can go anywhere. You would have to bear all of your expenses, as I seriously doubt that the school will pay for anything in this case.

Generally, you cannot apply for a visa within Korea. Student may be different, but I am honestly not sure.

Instead of email, you should just call your school during Korean hours. You can definitely get your answers faster.

As I think about it, wherever you are out of the country IF there is a Korean consulate there, you can apply for the visa there actually. Submit everything in person.

Search this Thread