Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Morning sightseeing in Seoul before 2PM flight?

Old Dec 28, 16, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec

We're arriving in Seoul in a few days and have an 18 hour layover (ICN). We arrive on JL at ~9:30PM and depart the next day a few minutes before 2PM, on CX. We are staying at the Park Hyatt. (I had considered staying near ICN and doing one of the bus tours, but sadly the first ones that head into Seoul seem to wrap up about an hour later than we'd need.)

As we'll have had a full 24h of travel before reaching the hotel, I haven't wanted to plan too ambitiously -- but we would like to see some of the city.

Assuming we get up at a reasonable hour, what might be some good strategies for sightseeing that won't leave us scrambling for the airport?

In researching taxi options, I noticed that it's possible to hire an international taxi for a period of 3 hours for a fairly reasonable sum (50000 KRW). Has anyone ever used that for sightseeing? I'm wondering if hiring a taxi to drive us around for 3 hours and deposit us at the AREX might be a smart use of time.
Old Dec 29, 16, 4:58 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
I wouldn't pay that price for a three hour tour. As you'll be walking around for most of that time, it's a waste. And of course city traffic.

If you wake up and take a normal taxi (around 10,000W and you can use a credit card), you can walk the tourist areas of Gyeongbokgung, Gwangjang Market, Jongno, Insadong and Myeongdong. Then just hop in another taxi to Seoul Station for 5-6,000W.
Old Jan 8, 17, 8:47 pm

I had a very similar layover last year. The night of my arrival, I walked and ate around Myeongdong (where my hotel was located), then walked down Cheonggyecheon. The next morning, I took the subway to Gyeongbokgung. That just about ate up most of my time before needing to head to the airport

Search this Thread