FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Korea (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korea-714/)
-   -   Christmas in Seoul (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korea/1809390-christmas-seoul.html)

FlyingFrZ Dec 17, 2016 5:49 pm

Christmas in Seoul

Hello all,

Snagged the recent JL F fare from SEL and will be in the city for Christmas weekend on a little solo trip. I arrive at around 9PM Friday and will stay at the Nest Hotel near the airport, then moving on to the central Seoul for two full days in the city until I depart 10AM Monday.

I was curious what the city was like on Christmas Eve and Christmas as far as what's open or closed, or if there is anything Christmas related that's worth seeing.

Also I contacted several tour groups who unfortunately do not have JSA tours while I'm there. I was told it's because of military exercises. Is it worth doing the other half day tour to the tunnel?

Thanks for the advice :)

mikesaidyes Dec 18, 2016 8:04 am

Christmas Eve and Christmas will be business as usual. Nothing will be closed. In fact, on Christmas, it might even be a bit busier than usual. Christmas is a big couples' holiday, so lots of date course. Date course is a Korean term for like date plan/date day ideas for a neighborhood or special day haha. Families and children, eh, Christmas isn't anything special. Just a present or two!

mikesaidyes Dec 18, 2016 8:13 am

Also, to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't pay a tour company to go to the DMZ without the JSA. It's cool to see, yes, but the feeling is completely different. Instead, I'd recommend taking the DMZ train. Muuuuuch cheaper and it's run by KORAIL, the train operator for the country. They also provide a Dorasan National Security Tour to the tunnel and observatory. The tour and tickets can be booked at Seoul Station.

http://www.letskorail.com/ebizbf/EbizbfForeign_pr16100.do?gubun=1

GA400 Dec 18, 2016 1:35 pm

I am going to try this on the 29th!

I hope you don't mind me jumping into the thread :-)
I found this thread by doing a search for Seoul, and I have been looking for a smart way to go to the DMZ and this looks perfect!

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes (Post 27629435)
Also, to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't pay a tour company to go to the DMZ without the JSA. It's cool to see, yes, but the feeling is completely different. Instead, I'd recommend taking the DMZ train. Muuuuuch cheaper and it's run by KORAIL, the train operator for the country. They also provide a Dorasan National Security Tour to the tunnel and observatory. The tour and tickets can be booked at Seoul Station.

http://www.letskorail.com/ebizbf/Ebi...100.do?gubun=1

FlyingFrZ Dec 19, 2016 10:47 am

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Glad to hear city will be open and popping for my first visit. Being that I will be solo for this trip, any specific tours you guys recommend such as a good food tour or historical sights tour? So far I am leaning towards a pub crawl for one of the nights to experience the nightlife. Any other tips much appreciated

mikesaidyes Dec 19, 2016 9:34 pm

Greetings from a former Atlantan! To clarify, the DMZ train DOES NOT DOES NOT DOES NOT go to the JSA haha. If you want the JSA (which you should as it's the highlight), you must use one of the large tour companies that charges $90.

mikesaidyes Dec 19, 2016 9:39 pm

For a historical tour, you don't really have to pay anyone. All of the main sites are right together in Jongno area and you can walk it all in a day and see the Cheongyechon, Insadong, Gyeongbokgung and Deoksugung. For the main museums, just hop on Line 4 to Samgakji (Warm Memorial) and continue south to Ichon for the National Museum.

As far as nightlife, I would recommend Ongno Food Tours. If you're traveling solo or don't speak Korean, going to "real, local" places is sadly almost impossible. I recommend this tour because they go to places in Jongno alleys that are very "local" and even include a stop at the street tents near Jongno 3 Station, a definitely local place. I go there often and always see tourists want to go, but without the guide you wouldn't know what to do or even order.

FlyingFrZ Dec 20, 2016 12:23 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes (Post 27637840)
For a historical tour, you don't really have to pay anyone. All of the main sites are right together in Jongno area and you can walk it all in a day and see the Cheongyechon, Insadong, Gyeongbokgung and Deoksugung. For the main museums, just hop on Line 4 to Samgakji (Warm Memorial) and continue south to Ichon for the National Museum.

As far as nightlife, I would recommend Ongno Food Tours. If you're traveling solo or don't speak Korean, going to "real, local" places is sadly almost impossible. I recommend this tour because they go to places in Jongno alleys that are very "local" and even include a stop at the street tents near Jongno 3 Station, a definitely local place. I go there often and always see tourists want to go, but without the guide you wouldn't know what to do or even order.

Thanks for the tips. I checked out the Ongo food tours site, and unfortunately it seems their tours have a 2-3 person min. Since I am solo I don't think I can go with them.

mikesaidyes Dec 20, 2016 8:40 am

They mean minimum as in others must go. Not necessarily your group. I've seen large groups of 10+ people so it can't hurt to contact them and see if they will be holding one. These groups and tours are designed for people in your situation! Also check out ZenKimchi Korea Food Tours if Ongno isn't having anything while you're here

FlyingFrZ Dec 20, 2016 10:32 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes (Post 27639551)
They mean minimum as in others must go. Not necessarily your group. I've seen large groups of 10+ people so it can't hurt to contact them and see if they will be holding one. These groups and tours are designed for people in your situation! Also check out ZenKimchi Korea Food Tours if Ongno isn't having anything while you're here

Oh ok thanks for clarifying :)

Will contact them and see if they have availability.

Anymore tips would be much appreciated