Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Incheon Airport to Hongdae?

Old Jun 2, 16, 10:24 am
Original Poster

We meed to get to the Hongik University exit (closest is the blue line, but I guess green will do..) from ICN, arriving late afternoon on a Friday in July.

What is the best option? I think there's the airport train but I wasn't sure if there were multiple kinds, seems like there's something called AREX and then some other train(s) into the city?

Four of us will be traveling, all with bags, though probably just one-carry on size bag.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Old Jun 2, 16, 8:30 pm

You can take the commuter train from the airport and just get off at the Hongdae stop. It takes a little longer than the express train as it stops at every stop, but the express train doesn't stop at Hongdae anyways. A bit cheaper as well. You can just use your T-Money card when you get to the gates.
Old Jun 6, 16, 9:18 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
To clarify, you will want to get onto the AREX All-Stop Train. This is located in the basement on B1 level. After getting your bags from baggage claim, you will head to the arrival hall. Then take the escalator or elevator down to B1 and walk towards the trains. You will see signs for AREX. Just be aware that AREX has two kinds of trains. One is the All-Stop Train, this is the one you want to take. The other is the Express Non-Stop Train. This will take you directly to Seoul Station without stopping anywhere. You can purchase the tickets at the station if you do not have a T-Money card. Btw, T-Money card can also be purchased at the convenience store such as 7-11.

Another option is to take one the Airport Limo bus. Bus #6002 will take you to Hongdae station. It is the 3rd stop. Cost is 10,000 won but the benefit is that you will not have to carry your luggage up and down countless escalators going to and from the station.
Old Jun 7, 16, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nme7 View Post
To clarify, you will want to get onto the AREX All-Stop Train. This is located in the basement on B1 level. After getting your bags from baggage claim, you will head to the arrival hall. Then take the escalator or elevator down to B1 and walk towards the trains. You will see signs for AREX. Just be aware that AREX has two kinds of trains. One is the All-Stop Train, this is the one you want to take. The other is the Express Non-Stop Train. This will take you directly to Seoul Station without stopping anywhere. You can purchase the tickets at the station if you do not have a T-Money card. Btw, T-Money card can also be purchased at the convenience store such as 7-11.

Another option is to take one the Airport Limo bus. Bus #6002 will take you to Hongdae station. It is the 3rd stop. Cost is 10,000 won but the benefit is that you will not have to carry your luggage up and down countless escalators going to and from the station.
Thanks so much for this, this is a very thorough layout of what I was looking for—I'm not familiar with all the specific terminology so I'm glad you chimed in and clarified some things I was confused about.

Since we won't have the T-money Card (will be our first time flying into S.Korea), can we all purchase one at Incheon Airport and load it up with some $ for use during our trip?

I think we were going to avoid the bus bc we arrive on a Friday afternoon and I assume street traffic from ICN into the city will be pretty bad.
Old Jun 7, 16, 10:55 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Just before getting to the entrance to the AREX trains, there will be a convenience store nearby on the left side. I think its called a CU24 or something like that. They should sell the TMoney card there. I forget if the card is 2500 or 5000 krw. Once you have the card, you can load money onto it at a machine near the AREX gate. More info here.

The drive leaving ICN moves pretty good. Most of the ride is on the airport highway and it almost never has traffic. It is usually only after crossing the Han river does the traffic start to back up. But since Hongdae is not that much into the city, it will not be as bad as say going into downtown area or Gangnam. Although the actual street that Hongdae station is on can get really bad at times. Anyway, it is good to have options.

Enjoy Hongdae, especially on a Friday night in the area south east of exits 8 & 9 are very lively and fun. Not to mention all sorts of various cafes and eateries all around the neighborhood. A fun area to explore day and night.

Search this Thread