Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO -> ICN OZ vs. SQ in Y

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2016, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

SFO -> ICN OZ vs. SQ in Y

I'm flying roundtrip SFO -> ICN OZ vs. SQ in Y and deciding between OZ vs SQ (SQ $30 more expensive, pretty much the same).

Options:
Asiana Airlines – Flight 211 (Boeing 777-200LR (Wide-body Jet))
Singapore Airlines – Flight 15 Boeing 777-300ER (Wide-body Jet)

I've heard great things about SQ, but heard OZ food is much better. SQ has wider seats (19 vs 17), OZ has greater pitch (33-34 vs 32).

Good service, food, and comfortable seats are big points for me.

Also unrelated, but any advice on how to earn UA miles by booking these flights would be nice as well
Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I'd rather be in SQ. Asiana has been heavily cutting back lately because of their profitability.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
I'd rather be in SQ. Asiana has been heavily cutting back lately because of their profitability.
Interesting, I did see a thread with the same thing. Any specifics you can share?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, OZ Diamond, KE
Check out this thread in the Asiana forum.

Nothing in the latest announcements said anything about SFO, so wouldn't be worried about that too much. It's one of Asiana's top routes, so unlikely to see any major changes in the near-future anyway.

As for UA miles, my general advice is to check the booking class and look it up in the UA terms and conditions. Try and pick one that gives 100% miles.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Daxiuyi
Check out this thread in the Asiana forum.

Nothing in the latest announcements said anything about SFO, so wouldn't be worried about that too much. It's one of Asiana's top routes, so unlikely to see any major changes in the near-future anyway.

As for UA miles, my general advice is to check the booking class and look it up in the UA terms and conditions. Try and pick one that gives 100% miles.
So earning revenue via flying is new to me, I've only earned via purchasing so far.

OZ is 50% Discounted (G, T, V, W), 75% (K, Q, S )-100% (Y, B) Economy (not sure the difference between these though).

SQ is 50% Discounted (H, W, L), 75% (E, M ) Economy-100% (S, T, P, Y, B) Full fare Economy (not sure the difference between these though).

How do I know United know I'm flying these routes via another airline? Do I need to give my United number as well?

Last edited by theoracle111; Jan 31, 2016 at 6:38 pm
Old Jan 31, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: most of them
yes, you give the operating carrier your UA FF # so the miles can credit to UA
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:35 am

I've found the service to be almost the same on OZ vs SQ.
I've flown only on the A380s on each, so I can't comment on the seats in the 777. But I found that OZ seats to have a slightly better recline.

If I were you, I would check the fare classes and book the flight thay earns more miles on UA. In terms of scoring PQD, you're out of luck, unless you book a united flight with a codeshare, but those flights usually end up costing A LOT more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.