Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

ATM in ICN (Incheon International Airport)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2015, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Are ATMs easy to find in ICN? Is it common for Korean banks to charge ATM fees? I have a US ATM card which has the Star and Cirrus logo.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 11:53 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the Korea Forum. (Asia category)
Please follow there...
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:08 am
Original Poster

I found this thread (only by accident as I mistyped something)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korea...l-airport.html

(Edit: gee, I didn't realize I was linking to my own thread, here is the right link:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korea...tms-seoul.html)

Last edited by kash; Jan 6, 2016 at 2:30 pm
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

There are tons including KB, Hana/KEB and Citi Bank that accept Cirrus cards.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
There are no ATMs airside and you can't use your card at exchange counters. Cards can still be used at stores and shops, though.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:29 pm

I'm heading to Seoul for the first time next month. I've read that citibank does not charge any fees whatsoever to foreigners and their entire ATM network is "global". However, the articles were a few years old so I'm not sure if they still do that and you will most certainly still be charged whatever fee your home bank charges. Also it appears that Citibank no longer has a presence at ICN so you'll have to go into the city.

If you have decent foreign exchange places in your home city, it's probably best to buy a small amount of won and only withdraw in Korea if you need to. I hear from a local friend in Korea that most places except street vendors and public transit accept major credit cards. Also my local friend tells me that even ATMs marked as global are still pretty hit and miss with foreign bank cards. Credit cards apparently work ok at the ATMs, but you'll be hit with cash advance fees and interest.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B407
I'm heading to Seoul for the first time next month. I've read that citibank does not charge any fees whatsoever to foreigners and their entire ATM network is "global". However, the articles were a few years old so I'm not sure if they still do that and you will most certainly still be charged whatever fee your home bank charges. Also it appears that Citibank no longer has a presence at ICN so you'll have to go into the city.

If you have decent foreign exchange places in your home city, it's probably best to buy a small amount of won and only withdraw in Korea if you need to. I hear from a local friend in Korea that most places except street vendors and public transit accept major credit cards. Also my local friend tells me that even ATMs marked as global are still pretty hit and miss with foreign bank cards. Credit cards apparently work ok at the ATMs, but you'll be hit with cash advance fees and interest.
ATMs in Seoul have gotten a lot better. The ones in major tourist destinations are truly international and even some in subways and convenience stores. You can buy Airport Express and airport limo tickets using a credit card. I would never buy won outside of Korea.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
ATMs in Seoul have gotten a lot better. The ones in major tourist destinations are truly international and even some in subways and convenience stores. You can buy Airport Express and airport limo tickets using a credit card. I would never buy won outside of Korea.
That's promising to hear. Unfortunately, I'll be arriving in ICN alone and then taking the all stop train to meet up with some friends so need to have some cash on me to buy the ticket. I find it odd, that public transport in Korea hasn't adopted credit card payments
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's promising to hear. Unfortunately, I'll be arriving in ICN alone and then taking the all stop train to meet up with some friends so need to have some cash on me to buy the ticket. I find it odd, that public transport in Korea hasn't adopted credit card payments
You night be able to use a credit card to buy some T-money credit and a transit card at the airport convenience stores. But, I do understand needing a bit of cash beforehand.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: KE KL/AF CX
They do accept credit cards, pre-paid and debit cards but mostly issued by korean banks.

Paying a fee(tagging) and buying the tickets are different.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Many other countries do the same thing, transit only accepts credit cards for advanced purchase for people from that country. The UK and Spain come to mind immediately.
I'm sure it has to do with preventing fraud.

As noted, when you exit the immigration/customs hall, there are MANY ATM's all over. I took the train last year, and I'd guess there were at least 10 ATM's between when I exited customs on the way to the train station.

Also as noted, you can buy a T-money card (I think in the convenience store at the airport), then use that for the train into town. I did that last year at least. I can't remember if they took a credit card or not.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:53 pm

Weird, I had no issues using my credit card in the London Tube, maybe it's different elsewhere in the UK.

Yes, I noticed my local friend just taps her Korea issued Visa debit card on the turnstile and it just deducts it from her bank account balance. What standard is it using? Is it Visa paywave or something local to Korea?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:27 am

Programs: KE KL/AF CX
Weird, I had no issues using my credit card in the London Tube, maybe it's different elsewhere in the UK.

Yes, I noticed my local friend just taps her Korea issued Visa debit card on the turnstile and it just deducts it from her bank account balance. What standard is it using? Is it Visa paywave or something local to Korea?
Somekind of local thing i guess.
So i think this could be a little help in your case. You may buy this card with your credit card.
http://www.seoulcitypass.com/mpass/eng_1.html
Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a local transit feature (t-money) added to Korean issued cards from the banks here.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

I want to report back. Like the earlier flyertalk thread mentioned, there is an ATM in the 3/F Departure that does not charge any fee. It is located in the end of the 'J' aisle.

However, there is an ATM in the same floor run by KEB that charges 4000 won per transaction. It even offer to deduct my bank in US$ with some ridiculous exchange rate.
Attached Images  

Last edited by kash; Jan 6, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.