Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

ICN / Seoul Incheon airport duty free - when open?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP-6MM; Starwood Lifetime Platinum

Don't know if this is the right place, but I was in ICN a few months ago and the duty free shops were basically shells. It was posted that they would reopen the shops in November.

Does anyone have any idea of the situation now. Got a turnaround mr to hit my exp this year on 11/10 and would like to pick up a few gifts to bring back.

Thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by jemctag
... was in ICN a few months ago and the duty free shops were basically shells ... that they would reopen the shops in November ... Got a turnaround mr to hit my exp this year on 11/10 and would like to pick up a few gifts to bring back. Thanks.
Not sure what you meant by shells ? as in empty or closed for remodelling ?
That was not our case, were @ ICN - T1 in early September & again late September. Multiple duty-free shops open on departure's level 3, a few were open even at 4:30 AM busy restocking - cosmetics, liquors & of course, ginseng & similar products, etc. We picked up cigarettes on our way back to JFK - need to present our BP & passports for purchase. Many shopping bags "boarded" our flight and of course, if you are flying KE - FA were just as busy selling duty-free items on board & you can pre-order it on the outbound flight - we're told that our A388 were well stocked on popular items, LOL.

P.S. See comment below on prices, very true. Beauty face masks were excellent buys. Cigarette prices were excellent, super low and 35 to 45% less than what we paid cruising @ USVI with its preferred duty-free pricing - but 1 cartoon per adult only (and, not that I personally endorse nicotine products, as these were gifts requested by extended family members)

Last edited by Letitride3c; Oct 21, 2015 at 8:23 am
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
ICN is a good place for duty free but as always, you should know prices. I've gotten JW Blue for <$100 before (retails $200+) but the last time I was there it was much closer to US retail.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP-6MM; Starwood Lifetime Platinum
What I meant by shells, was that most Df were closed and undergoing renovation to be completed by November. I'm just looking to pick up some trinkets for gifts during my 2 hour stay and wondering if the renovations are complete.

To the other point, prices on alcohol, tobacco and cosmetics appear to be no great deal as opposed to prices in the states from what I've seen.

In fact, one of my flight attendants (who was Korean and lives near me) takes goods from the US with her for her family on each trip.

I was just curious if all of the df shops are open on the remote concourse. If not, I believe I can just go through the main concourse and take the train back to catch my turn.

Thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by TechMarauder
ICN is a good place for duty free but as always, you should know prices. I've gotten JW Blue for <$100 before (retails $200+) but the last time I was there it was much closer to US retail.
Koreans don't really buy in the airport any more. The deals are when pre-ordered online. With the right coupon and promotion, it's often 20-50% cheaper than the in-airport price. The websites are in Korean, and only accept purchases with a Korean passport #. The downside is that they (as well as the in-airport purchases) pass the purchase information over to Korean customs so they'll know exactly what to look for when re-entering the country.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Cigarettes are WAY cheaper than America and even Korean prices now. A carton is $19 USD (22,000W) for Parliament Lights...which in Korea are 4,500W for one pack (a savings of 23,000W for a carton. For theUS the savings potential is much greater.

And yes, duty free coupons are thrown out continually here. My point card wallet app (Clip for Olleh), sends me coupons and reminders when I get to ICN.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Also, they have a duty free stand near the escalators down to the concourse train that's open 24/7. It's very makeshift, but it's new-ish.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SirJman
Koreans don't really buy in the airport any more. The deals are when pre-ordered online. With the right coupon and promotion, it's often 20-50% cheaper than the in-airport price. The websites are in Korean, and only accept purchases with a Korean passport #. The downside is that they (as well as the in-airport purchases) pass the purchase information over to Korean customs so they'll know exactly what to look for when re-entering the country.
Boozes and cigarettes can't be bought online or using coupons. Marlboro lights are like 19-20 bucks a carton when paying in Korean won. They're only supposed to sell you one carton but they're pretty lax about it. I've seen people buying 5 cartons all the time.

Last edited by Aventine; Oct 23, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.