Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Minor gaining entry and staying in S.Korea for a holiday?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Hello! I'm currently planning a trip to S. Korea and I'm slightly butting heads with my Mum
This is to be my first trip abroad, by myself and she is very worried about me. I'm currently 17 years old, 18 this year and my Korean age is 19. I've emailed many places in Seoul about an under 18 in Western age staying at their guesthouse/hostel, but all were okay with it seeing as I'm 19 years old in Korea - the age of adulthood over there. I've confirmed this more than twice with the owner of the place I'm staying at before making a reservation. Mum is still worried about it somehow though
What she's worried about my trip the most is that she thinks I may be refused entry into the country because of my age and me being unaccompanied. What are the chances of this happening? Thanks in advance for any replies!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: most of them
if you've got a valid passport (and visa if you need one) I don't see why they would refuse you entry.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

All you need a valid passport. Tons of minors travel to and from Korea all of the time.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

I see… I thought as much. Now it's trying to convince my Mum She's been speaking to embassies and she plans on calling immigration tomorrow, which frankly I think is uncalled for seeing as I have a valid British passport
Thanks for replying!
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zarv
I see… I thought as much. Now it's trying to convince my Mum She's been speaking to embassies and she plans on calling immigration tomorrow, which frankly I think is uncalled for seeing as I have a valid British passport
Thanks for replying!
Haha She should save her breath but I know how Moms can be.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If she's worried, she should write a letter giving permission for you to carry. To be formal, get it notarized and either include father's signature too or get documents explaining why not (custody agreement, death certificate, etc.)
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:05 am

Talking Im also 17 and going to korea on Monday

Hey, there is nothing really to worry about. Im a Canadian who is visiting south korea for a vacation solo on monday! Im going for 12 days and am staying at a guesthouse and such. You will be fine, just have a valid passport, birth certificate, and in Canadian cases, i have to have a permission letter signed by both my parents and a lawyer/commissioner of oath. Its kind of a hassle to book things being under age but other than that your good to go!
Old Jul 17, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP, did you make it over yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.