Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Limited Overnight buses from ICN?

Limited Overnight buses from ICN?

Old May 27, 15, 5:17 am
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: YUL/YVR
Posts: 105
Limited Overnight buses from ICN?

UO 614 from HKG arrives at 02:25

http://www.airport.kr/iiacms/pageWor...de=C1203010200

Is my only option the 03:50 bus to Seoul Station....or wait until 5AM for the train to start?

Any other options?
PradoC is offline  
Old May 27, 15, 8:44 pm
  #2  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,598
Taxi?

There might be late night buses running to Gangnam perhaps.
Aventine is online now  
Old May 28, 15, 6:48 am
  #3  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: YUL/YVR
Posts: 105
What would the approx cost of taxi be to city centre?

Any midnight surcharge?
PradoC is offline  
Old May 28, 15, 7:45 am
  #4  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,598
Couple hundred won (30-50 US cents) more at night plus the tolls from the airport into Seoul. You will need maybe 60,000 won. Using the meter is better at night since there will be no stops really. Flat rate taxis will be more expensive.
Aventine is online now  
Old May 31, 15, 11:57 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
Posts: 1,697
I would just take the bus at 3:50. If you land at 2:30, you won't be off the plane until 2:45, train to immigration and be there at 3. Get your bags, 3:15. Pee, buy the bus ticket, get a bottle of water or something, 3:30. Then just wait in line for the bus (At that time, it might even already be there).

Unfortunately, with airport taxis at that hour, you could be overcharged or it could just be messy. They might not want to use meter, and they'll just flat rate you and refuse meter.
mikesaidyes is offline  
Old Jun 1, 15, 10:03 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Asia/Europe
Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Posts: 7,187
Is the OP in a hurry to catch a morning train or already has booked & paid accomodation?

Otherwise I'd personally be much happier spending a few hours at either a transit hotel or sauna at or near ICN and only head to the city in the morning.

I've lived several years on Mt.Namsan just a walking distance from Seoul station and it would take a lot to persuade me there that early in the morning. No shops or restaurants open, nothing to do but dodge wandering homeless & alcoholics.
mosburger is offline  
Old Jun 1, 15, 11:04 am
  #7  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,598
Originally Posted by mosburger View Post
Is the OP in a hurry to catch a morning train or already has booked & paid accomodation?

Otherwise I'd personally be much happier spending a few hours at either a transit hotel or sauna at or near ICN and only head to the city in the morning.

I've lived several years on Mt.Namsan just a walking distance from Seoul station and it would take a lot to persuade me there that early in the morning. No shops or restaurants open, nothing to do but dodge wandering homeless & alcoholics.
Unknown, but I agree with you on staying away from Seoul station at 4-5am. OP just seemed to really want to get into Seoul from the airport.
Aventine is online now  
Old Jun 3, 15, 10:40 pm
  #8  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: YUL/YVR
Posts: 105
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
Unknown, but I agree with you on staying away from Seoul station at 4-5am. OP just seemed to really want to get into Seoul from the airport.
Haven't booked the trip yet. Would the city be much more lively around 6:30am? Hang around the airport for few hours, and take the first train at 0520.
PradoC is offline  
Old Jun 3, 15, 10:43 pm
  #9  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: YUL/YVR
Posts: 105
Originally Posted by mosburger View Post
Is the OP in a hurry to catch a morning train or already has booked & paid accomodation?

Otherwise I'd personally be much happier spending a few hours at either a transit hotel or sauna at or near ICN and only head to the city in the morning.

I've lived several years on Mt.Namsan just a walking distance from Seoul station and it would take a lot to persuade me there that early in the morning. No shops or restaurants open, nothing to do but dodge wandering homeless & alcoholics.
Thanks. Haven't booked it yet. Still exploring my flight options.
What's at Mt Namsan? And details to some of these sauna you mentioned?
PradoC is offline  
Old Jun 4, 15, 12:53 am
  #10  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,598
Originally Posted by PradoC View Post
Haven't booked the trip yet. Would the city be much more lively around 6:30am? Hang around the airport for few hours, and take the first train at 0520.
Lively to do what? You're more likely to want to crash from jetlag. Mornings are boring in Korea. Just people getting to work.
Aventine is online now  
Old Jun 5, 15, 6:58 am
  #11  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: YUL/YVR
Posts: 105
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
Lively to do what? You're more likely to want to crash from jetlag. Mornings are boring in Korea. Just people getting to work.
Lively enough to have shops open to fill my stomach
PradoC is offline  
Old Jun 5, 15, 7:33 am
  #12  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,598
Originally Posted by PradoC View Post
Lively enough to have shops open to fill my stomach
Just 24 hour haejang guk and gamjatang places maybe. A lot of the markets don't open until late morning to midday.
Aventine is online now  
Old Jun 11, 15, 7:36 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Asia/Europe
Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Posts: 7,187
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
Just 24 hour haejang guk and gamjatang places maybe. A lot of the markets don't open until late morning to midday.
Namdaemun has a few rather nice "mandu" dumpling shops that are open early in the morning too. Just walk towards Myeong-dong from the station and stay on the left side of the road.

But really not much else to do that early than for example hiking up to Namsan. The newish park next to the Hilton hotel is a good starting point.
mosburger is offline  
Old Jun 11, 15, 8:06 pm
  #14  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,598
Originally Posted by mosburger View Post
Namdaemun has a few rather nice "mandu" dumpling shops that are open early in the morning too. Just walk towards Myeong-dong from the station and stay on the left side of the road.

But really not much else to do that early than for example hiking up to Namsan. The newish park next to the Hilton hotel is a good starting point.
I'm thinking more of the Korean markets like Gwangjang and Tongin shijangs. You could get mandu next to Seoul station on the way to Garwoldong.
Aventine is online now  
Old Jun 11, 15, 11:23 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
Posts: 1,697
You should go to Siloam Sauna behind Seoul Station first thing. You can relax, shower and kill time until 9-10 AM when things really get going. The food inside Siloam Sauna is actually quite good and the restaurant is always busy. They have the normal Korean staples like bibimbap, noodles, etc.
mikesaidyes is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread