Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Is a visit to Panmunjom a 'must' on any DMZ tour?

Is a visit to Panmunjom a 'must' on any DMZ tour?

Old May 20, 15, 9:30 am
  #1  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 48,715
Is a visit to Panmunjom a 'must' on any DMZ tour?

I have friends going over to Asia and encouraged them to stopover in ICN for 3 days and recommended they book a DMZ tour in advance. One tour they are looking at is offered by Seoul City Tour called "Third Tunnel/DMZ Full Day Tour with Insadong" which sees many sites including Dora observatory, Freedom Bridge, DMZ Theatre & Exhibition Hall but not Panmunjom and the famous armistice conference room. For those that have been would you say they should include the JSA & Panmunjom on a DMZ tour or for the casual tourist is the Third Tunnel tour enough of the DMZ experience?
tcook052 is offline  
Old May 20, 15, 9:51 am
  #2  
Hyatt Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,598
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
I have friends going over to Asia and encouraged them to stopover in ICN for 3 days and recommended they book a DMZ tour in advance. One tour they are looking at is offered by Seoul City Tour called "Third Tunnel/DMZ Full Day Tour with Insadong" which sees many sites including Dora observatory, Freedom Bridge, DMZ Theatre & Exhibition Hall but not Panmunjom and the famous armistice conference room. For those that have been would you say they should include the JSA & Panmunjom on a DMZ tour or for the casual tourist is the Third Tunnel tour enough of the DMZ experience?
I would try to do the USO tour if possible. Includes access to the conference room, JSA and the tunnels. It's more special than all the others.
Aventine is offline  
Old May 20, 15, 10:35 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
Posts: 1,697
Without the JSA conference room and the view of North Korea from the line, honestly, the DMZ just looks like the rest of Korea - countryside and mountains.
mikesaidyes is offline  
Old May 21, 15, 4:41 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney
Programs: SQ, GA, QF
Posts: 192
In my personal opinion, visiting the JSA conference room is a must.
rizayosia is offline  
Old May 21, 15, 4:50 am
  #5  
Hyatt Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,598
You also get to goto Camp Bonifas and a USFK guide will give you a lot of the history.
Aventine is offline  
Old May 27, 15, 5:19 am
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: YUL/YVR
Posts: 105
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
I have friends going over to Asia and encouraged them to stopover in ICN for 3 days and recommended they book a DMZ tour in advance. One tour they are looking at is offered by Seoul City Tour called "Third Tunnel/DMZ Full Day Tour with Insadong" which sees many sites including Dora observatory, Freedom Bridge, DMZ Theatre & Exhibition Hall but not Panmunjom and the famous armistice conference room. For those that have been would you say they should include the JSA & Panmunjom on a DMZ tour or for the casual tourist is the Third Tunnel tour enough of the DMZ experience?
What's the price difference?
PradoC is offline  
Old May 27, 15, 4:00 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 960
Definitely go to the JSA. Everything else has pretty much turned into an amusement park imho.
Pat Plus is offline  
Old May 30, 15, 3:49 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 823
The USO tour, provided by Koridoor, includes Panmunjom, and all the other stuff, which can be quite forgettable, in my experience.

I finally got around to doing a DMZ tour, and based on the many recommendations one can find here on Flyertalk, I went with USO/Koridoor. Not cheap, but worth it. We saw the 3rd infiltration tunnel, Dora Observatory, Dorasan Station, and finally Panmunjom. The tour would have been worthless without Panmunjom; the infiltration tunnel is theoretically interesting, until you trudge down, turn around-- it was packed with other tourists when we went in-- and hike back out (quite a nice little workout). The weather was overcast when we visited, so Dora Observatory was basically a waste of time, as one could hardly see anything, and similarly, Dorasan Station didn't do much for me. But, when the Norks came down to see us at Panmunjom, that was worth the trip.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-H...0/SAM_0997.JPG

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 23, 15 at 8:17 am Reason: Redacted [IMG] tags from overly large image
zippy the pinhead is offline  
Old May 31, 15, 12:08 am
  #9  
Hyatt Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,598
Zippy got the money shot. Our NORKs just used binoculars through their window.
Aventine is offline  
Old Jun 3, 15, 10:46 pm
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: YUL/YVR
Posts: 105
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead View Post
The USO tour, provided by Koridoor, includes Panmunjom, and all the other stuff, which can be quite forgettable, in my experience.

I finally got around to doing a DMZ tour, and based on the many recommendations one can find here on Flyertalk, I went with USO/Koridoor. Not cheap, but worth it. We saw the 3rd infiltration tunnel, Dora Observatory, Dorasan Station, and finally Panmunjom.
I tried to look on Koridoor's website. Is it the one that's 96k won / USD $92?

Where did your start / end your trip?
PradoC is offline  
Old Jun 4, 15, 9:10 pm
  #11  
Hyatt Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,598
Originally Posted by PradoC View Post
I tried to look on Koridoor's website. Is it the one that's 96k won / USD $92?

Where did your start / end your trip?
You start and end your trip at Camp Kim, Seoul.
Aventine is offline  
Old Jun 4, 15, 10:13 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
Posts: 1,697
Camp Kim is right at Samgakji Station, just a short taxi or bus from Myeongdong. And yes, that's the right tour.
mikesaidyes is offline  
Old Jun 4, 15, 11:37 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 823
Originally Posted by PradoC View Post
I tried to look on Koridoor's website. Is it the one that's 96k won / USD $92?

Where did your start / end your trip?
Yes, we paid $92 each. The trip started/ended at the USO facility at Camp Kim.

You can see there are tours on many dates; if you click on the individual tours, you can see they depart and return at various times. If your itinerary permits, I would suggest that you do not start too early, but instead try to avoid the morning rush hour.

The cafeteria lunch they provide is totally forgettable-- basically a wasted meal, in my view-- so if you are inclined, bring your own food.

If you have a telephoto lens, it would be good to bring, in case you get any opportunities to shoot distant Norks or whatever.
zippy the pinhead is offline  
Old Jun 5, 15, 7:02 am
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: YUL/YVR
Posts: 105
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes View Post
Camp Kim is right at Samgakji Station, just a short taxi or bus from Myeongdong. And yes, that's the right tour.
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead View Post
Yes, we paid $92 each. The trip started/ended at the USO facility at Camp Kim.
Thanks!!
Didn't realize Camp Kim is in the city. When I Googled it, it was much more North!
PradoC is offline  
Old Jun 6, 15, 12:24 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Norway
Programs: Eurobonus Silver
Posts: 59
Does anyone know what/how koreans in general feel about the DMZ and visiting it? My Korean family was horrified when I mentioned I wanted to go to the DMZ, and I can't quite figure out if it is because they think its dangerous or because it would mean that I wouldn't be with them for a whole day of my short visit.
sitrus is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread