FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Korea (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korea-714/)
-   -   2 hours enough for ICN -> GMP? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korea/1677936-2-hours-enough-icn-gmp.html)

Paxilein May 6, 2015 8:34 am

2 hours enough for ICN -> GMP?

Hey Guys,

I'll arrive in ICN at 16:55 with Emirates and my next flight is from GMP at 19:00 with Korean Airlines...

So are these 2 hours enough time to transfer between both Airports with all the needed stuff like immigration, luggage pickup, check-in?

Thanks

Pax

mikesaidyes May 6, 2015 10:38 pm

Where are you going from Gimpo? If it's Jeju, there are flights every ten minutes on a thousand airlines, so just book a later one. If you're going to Daegu or Busan, just take KTX.

Honestly, maybe not. Korean Air lists their minimum connection time as three hours between Incheon and Gimpo. I know that I could hussle off that plane, stand in the right immigration line (next to Koreans) and know exactly where to go once I'm in the arrivals hall, but for others it might not be so simple.

5 PM is when American flights are arriving, and the evening bank to SE Asia is getting ready (so ICN is busy on both ends). Below are very conservative estimates of time, but A) you never know and B) I don't know your walking speed haha.

Emirates lands at the Satellite Terminal. So, if you land on time at 16:55, you'll be off the plane by 17:15. Then, you have to catch the train (every 3 minutes, I believe) to the main building for immigration. Immigration line 17:30. If it's busy, overestimate 20 minute wait. 17:50 out. Ideally, bags are out by then. If not, let's say 18:00 you're finally on the arrivals hall.

Get out on arrivals, walk to train (if small bags) or bus right outside the door (easier for bigger bags). If you take the train (And depart right away) it's 30 minutes plus, let's say 5-10 minute walk from train to either terminal. So, let's say you'll get to Gimpo check in at 6:45. If you take the bus, it's still just 30 minutes (minus any traffic) and if you don't have to wait on the bus.

By this point, check in for your flight to GMP, if international, will have closed.

nme7 May 7, 2015 5:39 am

I would recommend the bus. Less of a hassle with luggage. Just getting to and from the airport train platform at both ICN and GMP can be a good workout! Also, the bus will drop you off more or less street side of departure level. Good luck!

Paxilein May 7, 2015 9:28 am

Thx.... So I'll change next flight to next morning...

And check out the KTX... As destination is Busan...

mikesaidyes May 7, 2015 7:25 pm

Yes, KTX is definitely faster. The airport in Busan, is also 45 minutes from downtown (even further to Haeundae Beach). So, a transfer, flight and then commute to downtown Busan could be much more of a headache after a long flight.

There's a KTX at 6:30 PM directly from the airport to Busan. Arrives to Busan at 10:15 (10 min wait at Seoul Station). It seems long, but 50 mins of that is the normal speed train into Seoul, then the Seoul Busan journey is normal high speed KTX.

Otherwise, you can just take any bus or train to Seoul Station and then there are trains every fifteen minutes or so to Busan.

Also, if you book the KTX ticket and get stuck in long airport lines, you can get a refund even after the train departs (minimal fee, like 3-5 USD).

You can only book KTX tickets 30 days in advance on the website.

MSPeconomist May 7, 2015 7:31 pm

IIRC there are a few flights from ICN to PUS that are treated as international and thus are only for those connecting from international flights (and connecting to international flights for the PUS to ICN direction). I'm not sure whether these must be booked on the same ticket as the international segments or how late the last departure is.

italdesign May 20, 2015 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes (Post 24778832)
Where are you going from Gimpo? If it's Jeju, there are flights every ten minutes on a thousand airlines, so just book a later one.

That's me! However, I don't see that many options on Kayak (the last one departs 8:45pm, I'm hoping to find a later one to connect with 6:55pm arrival from ICN). Should I be looking elsewhere?

Enhancements May 20, 2015 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign (Post 24847133)
That's me! However, I don't see that many options on Kayak (the last one departs 8:45pm, I'm hoping to find a later one to connect with 6:55pm arrival from ICN). Should I be looking elsewhere?

Your arrival's 16:55, right? (EK and all)

8:45pm would be decently spaced. With the airport train you should be there in <3h.

mikesaidyes May 20, 2015 10:34 pm

They're different people.

8:45p is honestly the latest to Jeju. 6:45 to 8:45 is def too close for comfort. 4:45 to 8:45 for sure is enough haha.