Reload this Page >

ICN - 5 to 6 hour layover

Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Altitude 50K, BA Blue, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, DVC, NEXUS

Hi Everyone,
I am doing a trip to Japan for 9 days, then Hong Kong for 3 days through ICN.

On our way through the first time we have about 4 hours. Returning, we have about 5 or 6 hours.

I have this fantasy on the 5-6 hour return of going to Seoul by train for lunch and then returning back to the airport. Naturally, just to say I've been in Korea and Seoul properly.

Advisable or not? Any recommendations?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:58 am

Programs: SQ, GA, QF
Assuming that you get your boarding pass in HK and you don't need to check in your luggage, it is doable I reckon. Seoul is more than 1 hour from ICN either by bus or train. So you only have 2-2.5 hours in Seoul. Go to one of the palaces or go to Bukchon village and have lunch there.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 2:28 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Correct. You might need to ask for ICN-HKG boarding pass at HKG check in. Also, if you get back to the airport later than expected, you can show them your boarding pass and they will expedite you through security.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Altitude 50K, BA Blue, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, DVC, NEXUS
Thanks for the info!
Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
And yes, stick to Jongno and Myeongdong. They're right around the corner from Seoul Station. Myeongdong for a ton of shopping, Jongno for Insadong touristy stuff, Gyeongbokgung palace and Samcheong-dong/Bukchon Village. It can all be done in 2 hours.

I'd suggest go to Myeongdong first. You can connect right to Line 4 from AREX and it's just two subway stops. Then, from Myeongdong, walk up to Insadong, see the Cheonggyechon Stream, grab a coffee somewhere, and stroll through Insadong. At the end of Insadong, you can hop over to Gyeongbokgung Palace and Samcheong-dong, time depending. When you're finished, you can grab a taxi to Seoul Station or subway again just one or two stops to there.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; AA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Check out the transit tour options provided by the airport:

https://www.airport.kr/iiacms/pageWo...de=C1202020600
http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_5_1.jsp
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
And yes, stick to Jongno and Myeongdong. They're right around the corner from Seoul Station. Myeongdong for a ton of shopping, Jongno for Insadong touristy stuff, Gyeongbokgung palace and Samcheong-dong/Bukchon Village. It can all be done in 2 hours.

I'd suggest go to Myeongdong first. You can connect right to Line 4 from AREX and it's just two subway stops. Then, from Myeongdong, walk up to Insadong, see the Cheonggyechon Stream, grab a coffee somewhere, and stroll through Insadong. At the end of Insadong, you can hop over to Gyeongbokgung Palace and Samcheong-dong, time depending. When you're finished, you can grab a taxi to Seoul Station or subway again just one or two stops to there.
^^ Even though I am spending more than 4hrs. in Korea (3 nights/4 days), I just figured out what I am going to do the evening I arrive from LAX. Thanks for this indirect info.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mathan647
Hi Everyone,
I am doing a trip to Japan for 9 days, then Hong Kong for 3 days through ICN.

On our way through the first time we have about 4 hours. Returning, we have about 5 or 6 hours.

I have this fantasy on the 5-6 hour return of going to Seoul by train for lunch and then returning back to the airport. Naturally, just to say I've been in Korea and Seoul properly.

Advisable or not? Any recommendations?
Take the all-stop AREX train to Hongdae station, green line 2 and AREX. A younger, hipper side to Korea. That's an alternative I think you might like better too.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:06 am

I'm arriving at 4AM, and leaving for TPE at 10:35AM the same day..do you think i should just do a 1 hour Yonggungsa Temple tour provided by the airport? Or should i venture out myself. The tour is from 7AM-8AM per the website, so i feel like i'm wasting time from 5-7, and 8-10 (approx 4 hrs).

The website also has suggestions for "self-tours" for the AREX and Maglev trains:

A TYPE
AREX

Recommended Course(Express Train)
Airport→Seoul station→Lotte Outlet→Myeongdong→seoul station→
Airport
Recommended Course(Nomal Train)
Airport→Hong-ik Univ. Station→Take Shopping or Performance time→
Airport

BTYPE
MAGLEV TRAIN

Recommended Course
Airport→St.Yongyu Raw fish center(sashimi)→Jamjin Island→Airport

Any input on their suggestions or suggestions yourself? I know 4am is early..so many things might not be open..
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing will be open really. You're better off just staying in the airport and waiting for a lounge to open (if you have access). Starbucks could be an idea too.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Nothing will be open really. You're better off just staying in the airport and waiting for a lounge to open (if you have access). Starbucks could be an idea too.
Nexus30 - we just did this run 2 weeks ago (JFK-ICN-TPE & then reversed on KE 86/85 flying the A388 ?? with a split stay at both cities) and I'll second the suggestions above. Airport island is far from anything nearby unless you are into seeing a Temple & security screening/immigration on the return can take time for all travelers, transit or otherwise for international departure. I did picked up extra info & can upload/share/link them if desired.

Flight would typically arrive on-time with a relatively quiet & empty airport that remains open but most shops are closed, including various food outlets airside - KE (KAL) & the paid Lounges are upstairs on the 4th. floor are closed until 6 or 7 AM if you have access. If you stay airside, follow the signage/directions for transit passengers, go thru security (so, no bottled waters or juices, etc.) & show your onward BP (issued at JFK) & you take the escalators or elevators up one level (from 2) to 3 for depature - into the "main" floor at #3 - you will be greeted with duty-free shops (mostly) and the centralized Info Counter @:-) where English is spoken for extra help & info/directions, etc.

From there, we wandered a bit before heading upstairs to 4/F & found our way to the free Internet Center, with power outlets (beware that you will need an adapter for 220 volts everywhere, no 110 voltage - even in the KE/KAL lounge, where we "hanged" out for about 2.5 hours this week) with very fast (free, unsecured) connections - there are a dozen+ desktop terminals for use (all occupied by others ... we used our tablets & smartphones while nearby) The official airport guide/link has the maps showing you where they are also - once you find your way there, you will likely see the Kids Center & the Sports Bar/Cafe (closed till 7 AM) where light snacks are available for sale/sold - and the free, really free (with comp'd towels) private Shower Room (opens at 7 AM) to get refreshed - unless you are heading to the lounge.

There are plenty of the lounger chairs, padded seating & long flat/wooden benches where fellow travelers arranged together to rest & sleep for a few hours until their onward flight. AND, there're no noisy vacuum cleaning or floor sweeping, or loud overhead PA announcement in this area at all - perfect to get some rest. There're 6 of us and we just hanged out & passed our time easily, took some short naps and had breakfast downstairs in the "morning" local time when things came to life at/after 7 AM.

The KE/KAL Lounge is on the 4/F and access is via escalators/elevators via the 3/F (near Gate 11-12) - it has coffee/expresso, soda & juices, beer, cup-a-soup noodles, assorted hot & cold "lounge" food and comfortable chairs - First Class Lounge on one side (where we're at) and Prestige Lounge on the other side, both're busy for a late afternoon as evening/transit travelers began rolling in. [ KAL Prestige wireless "internet" is much more reliable for us (free, no password needed) vs. the free Airport wireless internet throughout the entire place ]

Landside near the Check-In area, you will find a 7-11 and Burger King, along with Lotteria (burgers, fries & soda) - credit cards accepted (along with the "Won" of course) ** None of the food outlets were open at 4:30 AM on our arrival, so pack some snacks/energy bars or trail mixes, etc. or be sure to eat something while still onboard KE's flight, till 7 AM when you are "buy" or get into places ... there's a Dunkin Donuts somewhere ?? that one of my SIL found inside the airport. Currency Exchange both land/airside with (reasonable) published rates (and ATM's) if needed.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Sep 19, 2015 at 10:06 am Reason: typo, amended w. extra info
Old Sep 19, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

McDonalds and Starbucks on the B1 floor on the way to the AREX train. Letitride3c has excellent tips for getting some rest pre-lounge opening!
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:45 pm

Go to the Korean air lounge with your priority pass card. It is big , good wifi and huge buffet meal and drinks! Loved it. The same in Narita s****d with almost nothing to eat or drink . I'd stop in Incheon just for this lounge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.