Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Limousine buses from ICN-CALT in Gangnam

Old Mar 23, 15, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Hello:

Travelling to Korea in May and will be arriving on a Friday afternoon at 3pm.

We're staying in Gangnam (not at a hotel but found a place on Air BNB), not too far from CALT but would still need to take a taxi from CALT to the apt. (more on that later)

We are 4 people, but 2 are children (age 1 and 3).

Taxi seems about $100 USD but I worry about being ripped off (since I've never been to this place before) and also traffic on a Friday evening rush hour.

I saw there is a non-stop bus 6103 from ICN-CALT and my thought was taking that bus, and then from CALT then grabbing a cab to our apartment

Few questions I had:

1. are the CALT buses going to make better time through traffic than a taxi (maybe because of bus or carpool lanes if they have them?)

2. I see the adult fare is 16,000 Won one way. Any idea on children's fares? (some buses don't even charge anything under a certain age like 4 or 5). I checked CALT and ICN airport website and coudlnt' find any info --not even an email address to ask questions.

3. CALT's website here says the 6103 bus from ICN-CALT is "non-stop"
http://www.calt.co.kr/common/common....ans/route_6103
but then underneath it says "Bus stops for downtown" --does that mean it isn't nonstop and there are some other stops before CALT?

4. Once we disembark are Taxis right there and abundant or I am (with kids and luggage in tow) going to have to search for one or walk to a different area to flag one down?

If it's not too difficult, I'd rather take CALT bus 6103 and then catch a cab, because assuming the bus fare for the kids are free or discounted by 1/2 the adult rate, I'll pay at most 1/2 of what I'll pay for a taxi directly from the airport and perhaps not have to worry about traffic.

however if it's too complicated, or that bus makes stops (even though it says non-stop) I'll probably just pony up and pay for the cab. (although we won't have car seats for the kids and I worry about that--more for their safety than whether the cab driver will take us. I'm sure the cab driver won't care).

Thanks.
Old Mar 24, 15, 2:28 am

Programs: CI Paragon, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
My experience is cabs are always faster, and they are honest. Can't comment on kids fare. 6103 does make stops once it reaches down town. I'm not sure if you'll be able to flag a cab on the street, but there should be cab stops around CALT or COEX.
Old Mar 24, 15, 10:07 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
I would NOT take a taxi during rush hour. It will take you a loooooong time from Gangnam. The bus just swings by two subway stations that are both in a block or two of CALT. That's it. They're not long stops. More like a pass by.

According to Naver Maps, a taxi from CALT to Incheon Airport is 50,000W plus 7,000 in tolls and takes an hour in current 1 PM traffic haha.

During rush hour, you'll also wait. The expressways that run along the Han are ALWAYS backed up in the afternoon. Getting to Incheon, this is the way you'll go. There's no back street advantage. Because you're going so far on the expressway, I'd even venture it would take an hour and a half or more during rush. That means your taxi, I'd guess, would be more like 70.

For a taxi from Incheon, they are kind of annoying. If you get in a black taxi that is for foreigners, it will be even more expensive. You'd need to get in a normal taxi line like all the other Koreans. Don't take one from anybody inside. Don't take a taxi that's not in the taxi line. The bus is so much simpler.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: