Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Best Central Hotel for Newbie on 30-Hour Seoul Stay?

Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

I'd like to stay within walking distance of historic sites and local markets, not so much malls. Subway/rail convenience is important, as are views. I'd like a Hyatt/Hilton/Starwood/Marriott/IHG/Club Carlson hotel with a club lounge that has a decent evening spread, and I hear that the Westin Chosun isn't so good on this score. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
You want something in Jongno. Directly in the middle of Seoul. It's also very close to Gwanghwamun, Gyeongbokgung Palace, Namdaemun Market, Gwangjang Market, the alleys and tourist area Insadong. You can make one giant loop of the area.

Try the Lotte Hotel? Or The Plaza Hotel? They both have club level. You won't get your major chain points, though. The major chains, like Intercontinental are located in the corners of Seoul, usually. That'd take time to commute from there on the subway. While Jongno is very centrally located, by subway you'd be zigzagging around to get there and see stuff from areas like Gangnam, Yeouido, etc. There are many buses that make it easier on time, but for a first time visitor, they can be very confusing.

If you only have 30 hours and want to stay near markets and sites, you need to stay in Jongno.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:14 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
There are also direct buses from the airport to these hotels. They'll drop you off at the front door. Saves time for navigating the subway, transferring etc.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:31 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Delta Platinum, US Platimum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Since you are Hyatt Diamond, I recommend Grand Hyatt.

If you prefer Starwood, Westin Chosun is right in the center of city.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Avoid: Park Hyatt (not even close to central)
Better: Grand Hyatt (Diamond benefits, but you are on the top of a mountain. Long walk to mass transit)
Much Better: Westin or Seoul Plaza (close to everything)
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
What about Courtyard?

Looked at both Plaza and Westin. Problem is we are traveling with our adult daughter (3 adults in the room) - so Plaza doesn't have rooms that accommodate 3 and Westin does it for ~$100 extra ($80 extra adult and $25 rollaway).

Having discounted these - what about Courtyard Namdaemun? it is manageable $20 for 3rd adult and based on google maps, it is 9 minutes walk from there to Plaza.

AX
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:03 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
The Courtyard is a fine hotel. Other than a short walk, it is a good choice when staying in Seoul.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Originally Posted by nme7
The Courtyard is a fine hotel. Other than a short walk, it is a good choice when staying in Seoul.
thank you very much, so Courtyard it is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.