Search

Pyongyang and elsewhere in N.Korea?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Pyongyang and elsewhere in N.Korea?

I know there's not going to be true luxury, but what's the best hotel to stay at in Pyongyang? Trying to put together a package now...also, best places outside of Pyongyang? Finally, are the zoo and or cinema worth seeing? Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I know there's not going to be true luxury, but what's the best hotel to stay at in Pyongyang? Trying to put together a package now...also, best places outside of Pyongyang? Finally, are the zoo and or cinema worth seeing? Thanks!
Thre is an interesting GHM property in North Korea.

http://www.ghmhotels.com/en/the-anan...-mt/home/#home

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Feb 22, 2013 at 9:55 am
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Has that hotel in the 100+ story they have been working on forever opened yet? How's that hotel?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Thre is an interesting GHM property in North Korea.

http://www.ghmhotels.com/en/the-anan...-mt/home/#home
the whole area is closed due to the shooting of a tourist several years ago.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:15 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has that hotel in the 100+ story they have been working on forever opened yet? How's that hotel?
Not open.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Do a search for north korea tour and you'll find a bunch of blogs describing the country.

This is an interesting read:
http://vienna-pyongyang.blogspot.pt/
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i believe DPRK seized area which contains GHM hotel

kempinski CEO said pyongyang in jul/aug >
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...ens-tower.html
orascom developing, but how much rebuilding did they do..

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 22, 2013 at 1:53 pm
Old Feb 22, 2013, 2:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Not open.
Info I found says mid-August '13...I would be there in Sept. Possible it'll be partially open then?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
I hesitate to post this for a bunch of reasons, but I will anyway. (So mods, if this is way off-base just delete it and I am fine with that).

So... Why would you want to go to a country as a tourist than imprisons millions of people in forced labour camps? And starves large portions of the population? Amongst so many other practices. They are probably the nastiest, most repressive regime on the planet, and starving them of currency is a really good idea. I am not sure this is a whole lot different than trying to tour Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge (maybe a bit safer, but morally equivalent). There are a very small number of places that I wouldnt go to on moral grounds, no matter how fascinating the culture or how beautiful the scenery, and the DPRK is right at the top of that very very short list.

If I misconstrued the original post, and this isnt tourism, my apologies.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:55 pm

It's probably best if you went via a tour agency rather than on a private basis and lt them work out the details .
I heard its a beautiful country , with stunning mountain ranges and colours .
Do keep us informed !
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ridefar
I hesitate to post this for a bunch of reasons, but I will anyway. (So mods, if this is way off-base just delete it and I am fine with that).

So... Why would you want to go to a country as a tourist than imprisons millions of people in forced labour camps? And starves large portions of the population? Amongst so many other practices. They are probably the nastiest, most repressive regime on the planet, and starving them of currency is a really good idea. I am not sure this is a whole lot different than trying to tour Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge (maybe a bit safer, but morally equivalent). There are a very small number of places that I wouldnt go to on moral grounds, no matter how fascinating the culture or how beautiful the scenery, and the DPRK is right at the top of that very very short list.

If I misconstrued the original post, and this isnt tourism, my apologies.

To see the last totalitarian, insular regime on earth. If it was 1973 instead of 2013, I'd want to go to the Soviet Union as well.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bearbrick
It's probably best if you went via a tour agency rather than on a private basis and lt them work out the details .
I heard its a beautiful country , with stunning mountain ranges and colours .
Do keep us informed !
I don't there's a way to enter the country OTHER than with a tour agency, you can still have some say on your lodging though I believe.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:19 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am certainly in sympathy with the point raised above by ridefar but this is not the FT forum for political discussions.

However, it's also pretty clear that North Korea doesn't have any luxury hotels as we define them in the luxury hotel forum. So I am going to move this thread to the Korea forum where there are other threads on various topics related to North Korea.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

have to use certain tour operators, but dont have to be in group with other tourists
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:17 am
Suspended

To see the last totalitarian, insular regime on earth. If it was 1973 instead of 2013, I'd want to go to the Soviet Union as well.
I agree with this sentiment. I've been wanting to go myself. Please let us know which tour company you use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.