Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page > Pyongyang and elsewhere in N.Korea?

Pyongyang and elsewhere in N.Korea?

Reply

Old Feb 23, 13, 12:56 pm
  #16
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,161
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
I am certainly in sympathy with the point raised above by ridefar but this is not the FT forum for political discussions.

However, it's also pretty clear that North Korea doesn't have any luxury hotels as we define them in the luxury hotel forum. So I am going to move this thread to the Korea forum where there are other threads on various topics related to North Korea.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
The Ananti seems luxurious enough.
Open or not opened it still appears in ghm hotels.com
Until proven otherwise , we should assume its open and it's a luxury hotel.
bearbrick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 13, 12:58 pm
  #17
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,161
Originally Posted by pricesquire View Post
I agree with this sentiment. I've been wanting to go myself. Please let us know which tour company you use.
Oh , really ? Have you been to the Vatican yet ?
bearbrick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 13, 1:09 pm
  #18
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Programs: A3, AC, SQ, BA, OZ, LX, TK
Posts: 658
Originally Posted by pricesquire View Post
I agree with this sentiment. I've been wanting to go myself. Please let us know which tour company you use.
And how much you pay. Apparently, I can go for a very decent price with my fiancé in a Chinese tour group, but I would rather go with an English speaking guide. Another toughie is whether to take Air Koryo and experience the DPRK Airline, or Air China, and experience the Pyongyang VIP lounge. (And get miles) [And the PEK lounge which I really love to use]
AlwaysFlyStar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 13, 9:30 pm
  #19
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 29,530
bearbrick, i know its not open... as i said, north korean government seized control of entire area. (all developments) a while ago. even though there was south korean equity. there is plenty of (old) news coverage.

GHM site also has a golf club in seoul, with no lodging even for members.

Originally Posted by pricesquire View Post
I agree with this sentiment. I've been wanting to go myself. Please let us know which tour company you use.
correcting the wording in my earlier post, i think there is only one..?

but then you can pay for guides and other comforts/services with western companies. on top of the package.

chinese nationals have more options i think, train and maybe even self drive. think i saw both mentioned, dont recall if either or both are currently offered or not.

changes are fairly constant, especially related to military actions (therefore diplomatic incidents, which are what were involved, IIRC several, leading up to seizure of GHM hotel etc)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 25, 13 at 9:37 pm
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 13, 2:21 pm
  #20
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: @BuildingMyBento
Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Posts: 4,837
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
bearbrick, i know its not open... as i said, north korean government seized control of entire area. (all developments) a while ago. even though there was south korean equity. there is plenty of (old) news coverage.

GHM site also has a golf club in seoul, with no lodging even for members.



correcting the wording in my earlier post, i think there is only one..?

but then you can pay for guides and other comforts/services with western companies. on top of the package.

chinese nationals have more options i think, train and maybe even self drive. think i saw both mentioned, dont recall if either or both are currently offered or not.

changes are fairly constant, especially related to military actions (therefore diplomatic incidents, which are what were involved, IIRC several, leading up to seizure of GHM hotel etc)
There's definitely not just one (English-speaking) DPRK tour organization. I went with Koryo Tours (based in Beijing), the tried and tested one, but other methods of going do exist.
BuildingMyBento is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 13, 9:52 pm
  #21
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 29,530
i incorrectly thought koryo escorted everyone on the ground in DPRK

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 28, 13 at 12:18 am
Kagehitokiri is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 13, 4:26 pm
  #22
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Programs: AA, Aeroplan, CX Gold, MR PLat
Posts: 209
What costs are involved?

What costs are involved with going/staying in N.Korea for a day or two from Seol? BTW we are Canadians if that matters

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
I don't there's a way to enter the country OTHER than with a tour agency, you can still have some say on your lodging though I believe.
Misnerfamily is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 13, 5:08 pm
  #23
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: @BuildingMyBento
Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Posts: 4,837
Originally Posted by Misnerfamily View Post
What costs are involved with going/staying in N.Korea for a day or two from Seol? BTW we are Canadians if that matters
Thought that, at least from the RoK (South Korea), if you wanted to visit the DPRK, you'd have to be a Korean citizen. Not to mention, you were restricted to family visits to specific parts of the country...don't think these are happening at the present time.

To "say" that you've been in DPRK territory, the easiest way was to walk into one of the blue huts at the DMZ. Canadians could do this, but I didn't think RoK citizens can. This diversion may also not be possible these days.

Not too sure about a 1-2 day trip to the DPRK with any tour company (there's a chance it's not too difficult for Chinese citizens to do), but you'd probably have to get to Beijing to do it. I went with Koryo Tours on a 5-day visit, and the orientation happened at their Beijing office. In that case, it would be recommended that you get a Chinese visa beforehand, hopefully one with at least two entries.
BuildingMyBento is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 13, 7:09 pm
  #24
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Programs: AA, Aeroplan, CX Gold, MR PLat
Posts: 209
Thanks

Thanks for your input......perhaps a foolish thought on my part. I have been known to have a few of these - probably not my last either.

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
Thought that, at least from the RoK (South Korea), if you wanted to visit the DPRK, you'd have to be a Korean citizen. Not to mention, you were restricted to family visits to specific parts of the country...don't think these are happening at the present time.

To "say" that you've been in DPRK territory, the easiest way was to walk into one of the blue huts at the DMZ. Canadians could do this, but I didn't think RoK citizens can. This diversion may also not be possible these days.

Not too sure about a 1-2 day trip to the DPRK with any tour company (there's a chance it's not too difficult for Chinese citizens to do), but you'd probably have to get to Beijing to do it. I went with Koryo Tours on a 5-day visit, and the orientation happened at their Beijing office. In that case, it would be recommended that you get a Chinese visa beforehand, hopefully one with at least two entries.
Misnerfamily is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 13, 12:37 am
  #25
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 948
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar View Post
And how much you pay. Apparently, I can go for a very decent price with my fiancé in a Chinese tour group, but I would rather go with an English speaking guide. Another toughie is whether to take Air Koryo and experience the DPRK Airline, or Air China, and experience the Pyongyang VIP lounge. (And get miles) [And the PEK lounge which I really love to use]
The VIP lounge, which was really just a plain smoking room, is no more. It used to be in the main airport terminal building which has been closed for renovation (or demolition) for over a year. The temporary terminal (which might just turn out to be permanent) doesn't have a lounge.

Go with Air Koryo for the experience, plus you'll get a hot meal from Beijing unlike on Air China. The Air China flight is just like any other domestic flight.
Pat Plus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 13, 12:39 am
  #26
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 948
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
Thought that, at least from the RoK (South Korea), if you wanted to visit the DPRK, you'd have to be a Korean citizen. Not to mention, you were restricted to family visits to specific parts of the country...don't think these are happening at the present time.
There is zero access to the DPRK from the ROK at this time. There used to be but it was extremely limited indeed (family reunions or access to scenic sites or resorts far away from where people live.)

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
Not too sure about a 1-2 day trip to the DPRK with any tour company (there's a chance it's not too difficult for Chinese citizens to do), but you'd probably have to get to Beijing to do it. I went with Koryo Tours on a 5-day visit, and the orientation happened at their Beijing office. In that case, it would be recommended that you get a Chinese visa beforehand, hopefully one with at least two entries.
Check this out for some practical details on how to go:
http://humanitybesideus.net/2012/07/...-stuff-part-1/
http://humanitybesideus.net/2012/07/...-stuff-part-2/
Pat Plus is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:28 pm.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright © 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.