Where to Stay for New Years Eve Fireworks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold

Hi all--

Looking at spending Dec 31 - Jan 2 in Seoul (will be in Saigon before that, and need to be in Hawaii Jan 3, so seems like a viable option for NYE).

Because of the other "fireworks festival" in Seoul, I'm having some difficulty sorting out where the biggest/best fireworks display is on New Years Eve, and where the prime place would be to watch it.

Relatedly, if there's a hotel with a rooftop terrace or something that would have views of the fireworks, that's something that my wife would love -- any insight would be welcome. If no such thing exists, then perhaps just recommendations on nearby hotels. I've always stayed at the Park Hyatt before but am open to something else.

Thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Seoul doesn't actually have New Year's fireworks (unless I've completely missed something in the six years I've lived here haha). The main event is the ceremony at the Jongno Bell Tower. The main fireworks festival on Yeouido actually happens every fall. Just missed it!
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Seoul doesn't actually have New Year's fireworks (unless I've completely missed something in the six years I've lived here haha). The main event is the ceremony at the Jongno Bell Tower. The main fireworks festival on Yeouido actually happens every fall. Just missed it!
Got it. Well, assuming the wife is okay with the bell instead of the fireworks, that sounds like an interesting way to ring in the new year. Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

You probably want to stay at the Four Seasons or Westin for the bell.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
It's too late for OP, but I guess for anyone in Seoul for future countdowns, the Lotte World Tower has had NY fireworks for the last (at least) couple of years.

I watched the 2016/2017 one on youtube and it was spectacular.

So I braved the cold for the 2017/2018 one last week but it was disappointing as heck. I should have just stayed home and watched the livestream on youtube (the lotte world tower youtube acct broadcasted the fireworks live).
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The Lotteworld Tower ones this year were horrible. Too close to the tower and the LED lightshow looked like an ejaculation show.
shuigao likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.