Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

First trip to Seoul - therefore noob questions!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First trip to Seoul - therefore noob questions!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
thank you very much for your help. The links help a great deal especially the one to USO tours.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Does winter season in Korea start in November? Just want to see if I can snowboard in October.

EDIT: Any hostels to recommend for young travellers <30?

Last edited by flipstah; Sep 10, 2014 at 12:07 pm
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by flipstah
Does winter season in Korea start in November? Just want to see if I can snowboard in October.

EDIT: Any hostels to recommend for young travellers <30?
I don't think even Pyongchang will have enough snow for you at that time...

Guesthouses in Hongdae are the most popular but sorry I don't have any names for you.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by nme7
So it appears that with Korail's DMZ train, once you arrive you can catch a bus to the tunnels, but a visit to the blue meeting rooms are not possible yet through Korail's tour. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong.) One of the highlights of my visit to the DMZ was entering the blue meeting room and standing on the NK side.
From my tour to the DMZ a year or so ago - IIRC Dorasan station is not in the DMZ itself. There were 1 or possibly 2 trains/day to Dorasan. You can explore the station, take good pics form the sign showing the distance to both Phenjan and Seoul - it pretends as if Korea had been unified a while ago.

I'm not so sure about the tunnels if they are in- or outside the DMZ, but if you are over 5'5'' you'll be walking long tunnels bent over. Interesting to see, but not on top of my list.

I went this time with the USO organized tour (where your guides are US servicemen) and was better than the one organized by a civilian operator I went with a few years earlier.

Anyway you enter the DMZ at Camp Bonifas, which itself is already restricted access, so I'm not quite sure how you would achieve it from Dorasan st. The JSA is the obvious highlight of the tour, with the barracks, the bridge of no return, etc.

If I were to go there again, I'd definitely book the USO tour. Ah, and watch the movie called "JSA" beforehand and afterwards
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
From my tour to the DMZ a year or so ago - IIRC Dorasan station is not in the DMZ itself. There were 1 or possibly 2 trains/day to Dorasan. You can explore the station, take good pics form the sign showing the distance to both Phenjan and Seoul - it pretends as if Korea had been unified a while ago.

I'm not so sure about the tunnels if they are in- or outside the DMZ, but if you are over 5'5'' you'll be walking long tunnels bent over. Interesting to see, but not on top of my list.

I went this time with the USO organized tour (where your guides are US servicemen) and was better than the one organized by a civilian operator I went with a few years earlier.

Anyway you enter the DMZ at Camp Bonifas, which itself is already restricted access, so I'm not quite sure how you would achieve it from Dorasan st. The JSA is the obvious highlight of the tour, with the barracks, the bridge of no return, etc.

If I were to go there again, I'd definitely book the USO tour. Ah, and watch the movie called "JSA" beforehand and afterwards
Thanks. I think I'll do my DMZ tour through the USO. It'll most likely be more in-depth.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks. I think I'll do my DMZ tour through the USO. It'll most likely be more in-depth.
I suggest you book well in advance. They're usually at capacity for most tours.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
I suggest you book well in advance. They're usually at capacity for most tours.
Yup. Did it through KoriDoor(?), which is a weird reservation query system? I had to 'write' a request to get into a spot then they contact me to confirm?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Yup. Did it through KoriDoor(?), which is a weird reservation query system? I had to 'write' a request to get into a spot then they contact me to confirm?
Just did the Koridoor tour. And yes, their reservation system is weird. But, it works. At least 4 days before your tour you will need to email / contact them again with your credit card info to guarantee your space on the tour. To their credit, I found them highly responsive via email and they always answered my questions in a timely and easy-to-understand fashion.

My tour departed at 09h00. I arrived at the USO around 08h40, figuring I had made it in good time. Turns out I was the second last person to arrive! I checked in at the office (need to show your passport) and signed a waiver that basically says if I kill myself, it's my fault and not Koridoor's. At 08h45 our guide loaded us onto the waiting bus.

On the bus the guide once again checked our names off the list, then at 09h00 exactly we were off.

Overall my impression of the Koridoor tour is that it was adequate but I'm not sure it's necessarily any better than any other tour company. A large part of this was the tour guide I had. She was a nice person and I enjoyed chatting with her about different things at various points in the tour. But her English was very much a second language, and the material was presented in a disjointed fashion. I would have expected a somewhat more polished presentation. While I don't necessarily fault her English skills, I do think the material could have and should have been presented in a clear and logical fashion.

The Koridoor tour was 92,000 Won. By way of comparison, the Westin Choson Seoul concierge offers the same tour (presumably with a different company) for $137 USD. At the Third Tunnel, I counted 20 busses in the parking lot so clearly, there's a lot of choice when it comes to who you take a tour with. I think the key to a DMZ tour is to ensure you get to visit the JSA and the conference rooms. Some tours do not do this (and cost much less). But to not see the JSA is folly as it's very much the highlight of the DMZ experience.

From my tour to the DMZ a year or so ago - IIRC Dorasan station is not in the DMZ itself.

There's the DMZ proper and then there's an area beyond which civilian traffic is prohibited. As you drive north from Seoul, you eventually get to a military checkpoint where normal cars will be turned around.

The DMZ is defined as a Military Demarcation Line (MDL) with 2km on either side of it. i.e. The DMZ is a 4km wide buffer zone that cuts across Korea.

Dorasan is technically outside the DMZ but well within the area where civilian traffic is prohibited.

Similarly, the tunnel entrances are outside the DMZ. The Third Tunnel ends in a solid wall which is but 170m from the MDL.

To access the Third Tunnel, you walk down a steep (11% grade) access tunnel that runs about 300m. Once down there, you do need to stoop through much of the actual tunnel. They give you a hard hat which is useful. I bopped my head 3 times on the cross beams! The tunnel is interesting, but if you're claustrophobic or have a heart condition etc then skip it! It is possible to take a trolley back up but apparently that needs to be booked 1 week or more in advance. I would recommend walking down then taking the train back up, but you will need to check with your tour operator on the details.

Aside: the Third Tunnel can apparently handle 30,000 soldiers per hour. I find this hard to believe. I imagine soldiers would run through the tunnel so that would obviously speed things up. But I can't see how 30,000 men presumably wearing full combat gear would get through there in just one hour. 3000 soldiers per hour? Sure. 30,000? I can't see that happening. But then again, I'm just a dumb civilian so what do I know?

Ah, and watch the movie called "JSA" beforehand and afterwards
Very good advice! I was unfortunately unable to find a legal copy of JSA so I had to download it. It's not a great movie by any means, but it's interesting and watching beforehand will definitely add to your DMZ / JSA experience.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 2:39 am

DMZ didn't matter to me now since they cancelled it. Something about military observation or whatever.

I just went noraebang instead.

Naega Jeil Jal Naga!
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:24 pm

I just went noraebang instead.

Naega Jeil Jal Naga!
By yourself?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kat007
By yourself?

Lol no, went with my hostelmates!

Korean fashion is bizarre.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:03 am

Lol no, went with my hostelmates!

Korean fashion is bizarre.
Noreban is funny in Korea, but a lot of Koreans have good voice-even the drunk ones next door

I don`t sing, no matter how many Sojus I get, but I do appreciate good singing
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Kat007
Noreban is funny in Korea, but a lot of Koreans have good voice-even the drunk ones next door

I don`t sing, no matter how many Sojus I get, but I do appreciate good singing
Noraebang is super entertaining! I love KPop songs now haha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmE9SZKTHNw
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
So my proposed Nov 11 DMZ and JSA tour was cancelled due to military exercises... What are the chances of that day opening up again?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by roastpuff
So my proposed Nov 11 DMZ and JSA tour was cancelled due to military exercises... What are the chances of that day opening up again?
Considering how N Korea is actively discussing matters in Seoul, any tour might be derailed. Mine got cancelled as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.