Wiki Posts
Search

5 hour layover in ICN Seoul

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold; Hilton Silver; Priority Plat; Marriott Silver
5 hour layover in ICN Seoul

I've read several posts on things to do with 12 hours in ICN. Are there things to do around ICN with just 5 hours?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Clear customs and walk back the area above the ticketing area, try the Korean restaurant selections there. After you eat, go through the security and do some duty free shopping. There is your 5 hours used up quick. Unless you have someone locally that can pickup you up to see incheon for 2 hours, you have no other choice.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:05 am

You could take the airport train 2 stops to Unseo(~8 minutes and 1000W) and go to the LotteMart supermarket.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold; Hilton Silver; Priority Plat; Marriott Silver
what about 8hrs instead of 5? does that make a difference?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:05 am

If the layover is during the day, 8 hrs makes it more feasible to go to downtown Seoul.

Take bus/train to Seoul, walk around, eat, shop and come back to ICN airport.
There is also a free sleeping lounge at ICN and showers too(but i dont know if you have to pay for the showers).
Old May 24, 2012, 11:23 am

I had a 6 hours layover in ICN yesterday so I did the free 1 hour temple tour offered by the ICN airport. 2,3,5 hours and DMZ tour is available for very reasonable price. I believe the prices are $5,10,25 and DMZ was $70 per person person.
Old May 28, 2012, 1:59 pm

I recently did a 12hr layover in Seoul, landside.

That's what happens when you book inwards flight on KE and outwards flight on another airline.

I had reckoned that I could use the transit hotel for some sleep (landed at 5am) bt obviously with no onwards boarding pass, I had to wait for the TG checkin desk to open some 9hrs after I landed!

My fault, but still, bloody boring!
Old May 28, 2012, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
I recently did a 12hr layover in Seoul, landside.

That's what happens when you book inwards flight on KE and outwards flight on another airline.

I had reckoned that I could use the transit hotel for some sleep (landed at 5am) bt obviously with no onwards boarding pass, I had to wait for the TG checkin desk to open some 9hrs after I landed!

My fault, but still, bloody boring!
Why didn't you take a tour? it's bloody cheap with sometimes free lunch.
Old May 29, 2012, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by skchin
Why didn't you take a tour? it's bloody cheap with sometimes free lunch.
Initially, it was my intention to get a bus to Lotte World, and I did research it whilst at the airport, but I didn't understand where to buy the tickets, so that, coupled with my sleepiness and vertigo (yes, I had travelled on planes so much that past week that I still felt my legs wobbling) I decided to try and rest landside at ICN and make use of a few cafes. Wish I had done a tour now, even somewhere like DMZ or Gyeongbokgung Palace would have been nice...
Old Jun 3, 2012, 8:51 pm

Checkin is pretty quick at ICN, I think even getting there 1.5 hours early is usually enough. With 5 hours I'd say its almost impossible to explore seoul as it takes about 1 hour to get there, maybe a quick meal but probably better off exploring Incheon area. With 8 hours you could make it to Seoul and back, perhaps go to myeongdong area and do some shopping (there's also many good restaurants in that area)
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:06 pm

Programs: AE, MP, DL, AA, Accor Platinum (But aren't we all?)
5 Hours is way too short for something in Seoul as you will spend most of your time travelling between the airport and the city. Explore Incheon or as skchin suggested, there are a ton of things to do in the airport. Try some Korean food or even the Korean Baths (JimJilBang) in the airport if you want to relax in a cheap and relaxing environment. It's quite an experience. Plus you will get to scrub up nice and clean and feel like you are at a spa.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA
If you are stuck landside, there is a sauna ("Spa on Air") located in the basement of the airport. Daytime prices start at 15,000KRW (<$15). You can also rent private rooms if you dont want to share with others. You can leave your luggage in the sauna lobby, where is it watched and tagged for security. It saved me on a 10 hour lay over this summer.

I later found the transit lounge (inside security) also had free internet/computers and free showers. LOL
Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Recently the price of the AREX, Airport Express Train (From ICN to Seoul Station) dropped to 8,000 won. It used to be 13,300 won. So you can take this non stop train into the heart of Seoul in 43 mins. If I had a few hour layover, I would leave my baggage at the airport (there is a place to leave your bags for a fee on the departure level) and then head to Seoul station. From there, you can take the subway to Gwanghwamun or Gyeongbokgung (might need to do a transfer). Or go to Anguk station and walk through Insadong area. Nearby is also Jong-ro station, where the Cheonggyecheon stream is nearby.

I would probably avoid the bus and/or taxi during the evening rush hour traffic. A 1 hour taxi ride to Incheon airport (already expensive!) will easily turn into 2 hr ride.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:20 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Go see a movie at CGV (Cinema)!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Go see a movie at CGV (Cinema)!
Yeah I was thinking that might be an option. But usually after a long international flight, it might be hard to sit in a chair for another 2 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.