Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

International Transfers via Seoul Incheon International Airport - Anyone done it?

International Transfers via Seoul Incheon International Airport - Anyone done it?

Old Apr 24, 19, 10:04 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Presuming there’s no big delay -

Look for the free showers in the Rest & Relax 4th floor transit area of T1. Above the gates. They’re wonderful. Just show your boarding passes. Towels and everything provided.

Originally Posted by Danny NO View Post
This is my first post, and I see the question has been posted before. But the last post was a few years ago. And knowing how things air travel related can change, I wanted to ask for a fresh response. So thanks in advance...

In December I'll be flying Asiana LAX-ICN-MNL...

I've always flown PAL, but chose Asiana for this trip to be able to fly on the A380...

When checking in at LAX, will my luggage be checked thru to MNL? And will I get my boarding pass for the ICN-MNL leg?

My connection time will be about 2 hours. Is that enough, or is it cutting it too close?

I've never done a international transfer before, and this will be my first time...

Anyone who has done this recently (2018-2019) please respond...

Any information-advice would be very much appreciated...

Salamat...
Old Aug 26, 19, 7:12 pm

Arriving in ICN at 09:45 on Air Astana from Astana (Terminal 1 it looks like), and wanting to catch a flight over to Tokyo. Looking specifically for Nov 8th, where there is nothing between 10:35 and 14:50. Tempted to book the 10:35 on Jeju Air (also looks like Terminal 1) since I really don't want to take a 5-hour layover but hesitating since it's obviously a tight connection. Some questions:
  1. Would I be able to check in online and get my boarding pass for Jeju Air?
  2. If not, does Jeju Air have a transfer desk?
  3. Do they both arrive/depart from the Main Terminal?
  4. Do you think I could make it in general?
Alternatively, looks like there are 12:10 and 12:25 departures from GMP but that seems tight too.
Old Aug 28, 19, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by dustclee View Post
Arriving in ICN at 09:45 on Air Astana from Astana (Terminal 1 it looks like), and wanting to catch a flight over to Tokyo. Looking specifically for Nov 8th, where there is nothing between 10:35 and 14:50. Tempted to book the 10:35 on Jeju Air (also looks like Terminal 1) since I really don't want to take a 5-hour layover but hesitating since it's obviously a tight connection. Some questions:
  1. Would I be able to check in online and get my boarding pass for Jeju Air?
  2. If not, does Jeju Air have a transfer desk?
  3. Do they both arrive/depart from the Main Terminal?
  4. Do you think I could make it in general?
Alternatively, looks like there are 12:10 and 12:25 departures from GMP but that seems tight too.
No, Jeju Air does not offer transfer services. So that 10:35 - completely impossible as their check in closes 1 hr before.
Old Aug 29, 19, 9:42 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
While the departures from GMP are doable, there are a lot of things that have to go right.

Flight has to arrive on time or early.
Bags have to come out quick, if checked in.
No delay at immigration.
Short wait for bus to GMP. Or take a taxi, but $$$.
Smooth check in and short security line at GMP.

In the end, is it worth all that stress to get to Tokyo a few hours earlier?
Old Aug 30, 19, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by nme7 View Post
While the departures from GMP are doable, there are a lot of things that have to go right.

Flight has to arrive on time or early.
Bags have to come out quick, if checked in.
No delay at immigration.
Short wait for bus to GMP. Or take a taxi, but $$$.
Smooth check in and short security line at GMP.

In the end, is it worth all that stress to get to Tokyo a few hours earlier?
I know you know well :-) Nothing to add there except - that's gonna take like 2 hrs anyway if you budget carefully. Any delays and you're F'd. Might as well just sit at ICN. Take a free shower and nap in the rest & relax area, visit the Korean Cultural Museum, enjoy a concert in the fancy T2 gardens or whatever event they're having....
Old Sep 11, 19, 12:58 pm

Connection time in Seoul-is it enough?

Hello. I am new to flyertalk and couldn't figure out how to start a new post. Hope its ok to reply to this one with a new question.. I am looking at a flight from Detroit, MI to Densapar, Bali in February. It is a Delta flight arriving ICN 9:15 am - leaving on Garuda at 10:50am. Is this enough time to get between gates? I assume bags will be checked through. Do we do customs with carry-on or just security? Thanks for any help!
Old Sep 11, 19, 10:43 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
It should be ok. Both airlines are part of SkyTeam Alliance, so you should all be at the new Terminal 2. Have bags checked all the way to Bali, make sure you have boarding passes for your second flight also. When you arrive at ICN, go to the transfer area. They will check your next boarding pass, then send you towards security. Once past security, you will go up to the departure level. It should not take more than 20 minutes. No need to go through customs, just the security at transfer area.
Old Sep 12, 19, 8:37 pm

Thank you so much for your quick answer!

Originally Posted by nme7 View Post
It should be ok. Both airlines are part of SkyTeam Alliance, so you should all be at the new Terminal 2. Have bags checked all the way to Bali, make sure you have boarding passes for your second flight also. When you arrive at ICN, go to the transfer area. They will check your next boarding pass, then send you towards security. Once past security, you will go up to the departure level. It should not take more than 20 minutes. No need to go through customs, just the security at transfer area.
Old Sep 30, 19, 1:02 am

Programs: United, Hilton
T2 to T1 intl-intl transit (separate bookings)

Arriving on KE, T2.
3.5hr layover, transit to OZ, T1.

No checked bags.
Plan to have OZ boarding pass ready via OLCI.

No need to enter Korea, right?
Is there an airside shuttle you take to get to T1?
In case the KE undergoes schedule change, what is a comfortable transit time for this (assuming flight's on time)?
Old Nov 26, 19, 12:15 am

Programs: SIA PPS, OZ Asiana Club, CX MPC, IHG Royal Amb, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Arriving on KE, T2.
3.5hr layover, transit to OZ, T1.

No checked bags.
Plan to have OZ boarding pass ready via OLCI.

No need to enter Korea, right?
Is there an airside shuttle you take to get to T1?
In case the KE undergoes schedule change, what is a comfortable transit time for this (assuming flight's on time)?
The minimum connecting time is 90 min and you should be fine. Details are available at these websites:

https://flyasiana.com/C/US/EN/travel...?airportCd=ICN

https://www.airport.kr/ap_lp/en/trn/...1/t2trnt2t1.do
Old Dec 13, 19, 9:07 am

Enough time?

Have 2,5 hours to change between Finnair and Eastar Jet. Is it possible to do? Arriving at 09:15 with AY041 and departing at 11:30 with ZE631. Have checked in luggage with me.
Old Dec 14, 19, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Kalleek View Post
Have 2,5 hours to change between Finnair and Eastar Jet. Is it possible to do? Arriving at 09:15 with AY041 and departing at 11:30 with ZE631. Have checked in luggage with me.
You *should* be ok but it will be tight. Finnair uses main T1 gate - but immigration lines *might* be long at 9 AM (southeast Asia flights arrive then). Typically, though, most connect from those flights or it's local Koreans. Baggage claim and customs is easy, literally just grab and go.

The problem is that Eastar has no transfer counter, no online check in for international....so you have to get out of the airport and go up to check in and complete it by 10:30. Korean airlines and airport staff are generally friendly and will help you skip lines if tight (show your itinerary).

Going back through airport T1 will be kind of busy in morning time on weekdays (I waited like 10-15 mins in security when I just went through T1 a few weeks ago in the AM at like 8-9 AM)
Old Dec 15, 19, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes View Post
You *should* be ok but it will be tight. Finnair uses main T1 gate - but immigration lines *might* be long at 9 AM (southeast Asia flights arrive then). Typically, though, most connect from those flights or it's local Koreans. Baggage claim and customs is easy, literally just grab and go.

The problem is that Eastar has no transfer counter, no online check in for international....so you have to get out of the airport and go up to check in and complete it by 10:30. Korean airlines and airport staff are generally friendly and will help you skip lines if tight (show your itinerary).

Going back through airport T1 will be kind of busy in morning time on weekdays (I waited like 10-15 mins in security when I just went through T1 a few weeks ago in the AM at like 8-9 AM)
Thanks for swift reply.
I will see how it works out!
Old Jan 14, 20, 8:21 pm

Programs: How to move abroad
I had to re-check my bag but that's only because I booked my tickets separately. Original flight was ICN-SFO round trip. The airport quality is great although you can get lost because it's big and Korean staff are not too pleasant. I was trying to find Korean Air customer service inside the terminal and followed some signs then ended up in an area which had some staff training going on. They rudely told me I was in the wrong place when and just told me to walk up the escalater and go far west.

The parts I liked where the VR demo section, free showers, a quiet, relaxing area for naps and free tours for long layovers. I found three paid lounges from $25 USD to $60 which included good wifi, beer, and food. I stayed at the one for $25. Food was great, it didn't appear any worse then the other lounges. It was actually more quiet with less people possibly because it's near the end.
Old Jan 17, 20, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Solivagant View Post
I had to re-check my bag but that's only because I booked my tickets separately. Original flight was ICN-SFO round trip. The airport quality is great although you can get lost because it's big and Korean staff are not too pleasant. I was trying to find Korean Air customer service inside the terminal and followed some signs then ended up in an area which had some staff training going on. They rudely told me I was in the wrong place when and just told me to walk up the escalater and go far west.

The parts I liked where the VR demo section, free showers, a quiet, relaxing area for naps and free tours for long layovers. I found three paid lounges from $25 USD to $60 which included good wifi, beer, and food. I stayed at the one for $25. Food was great, it didn't appear any worse then the other lounges. It was actually more quiet with less people possibly because it's near the end.
That's surprising because Korean Air website says they'll check any bag for any international connection through ICN even if it's a different airline. Also - with Korean English, I've seen it happen SO MUCH....many people just speak very simply and not well, so to most people it comes off as very rude but the Korean person has no idea about things like "tone" or "manners" haha.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: