Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ 3A2 - KLM Aircraft and Seating Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:47 am

Hi there, a few months from now I'll fly on the 747 from AMS to JFK, in J. The nose cabin has a rather peculiar seat map, and I was looking to get on 1A, since I've always wanted to ride there on a 747. but for now it shows that it's already taken. I assigned myself 4A in the meantime, which looks nice since it's a solo. Is it a good pick (like not too close to the galley), or is it better to ride upstairs where most seats are still available to pick? Appreciate the insights!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Klems
Hi there, a few months from now I'll fly on the 747 from AMS to JFK, in J. The nose cabin has a rather peculiar seat map, and I was looking to get on 1A, since I've always wanted to ride there on a 747. but for now it shows that it's already taken. I assigned myself 4A in the meantime, which looks nice since it's a solo. Is it a good pick (like not too close to the galley), or is it better to ride upstairs where most seats are still available to pick? Appreciate the insights!
Yes, 4A and 1A are (in that order) considered the best two seats on the plane.
Klems likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by CyBeR
Yes, 4A and 1A are (in that order) considered the best two seats on the plane.
Thank you! Glad I snagged the best one then and Ill stick with my selection .
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
777-300 : Fixed separation between biz seats?

Hi Everyone,

I am going to fly KL biz for the first time on 777-300.

Browsing the net, I found a report on flight-report dating back to 2015, showing a fixed separation between seats preventing good interaction between flying companions.

Is that the case?

That would be real bad.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: KL Plat
Depends on what sort of interactions you're talking about?

Yes there's a metal grill separating you, but it doesn't much hamper conversing if you wish. I've travelled next to a stranger and my partner and no issues talking to either of them
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Solevita
Depends on what sort of interactions you're talking about?
Nothing to be ashamed of.

Yes there's a metal grill separating you, but it doesn't much hamper conversing if you wish. I've travelled next to a stranger and my partner and no issues talking to either of them
Great! thank you for the quick answer.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Solevita
Yes there's a metal grill separating you.
That's the most useless privacy screen ever invented. Serves no practical purpose whatsoever.

Johan
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by johan rebel
That's the most useless privacy screen ever invented. Serves no practical purpose whatsoever.

Johan
If you're really short (and ignore the holes in it) you can hide behind it
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And maybe stuff tissues and napkins in all the holes?

Johan
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
There's some conflicting information on the interwebz which KL 747 seat has the larger footwell - 1A or 4A. Can someone enlighten me?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:47 am

4A by some margin.

4E's (the middle solo seat) footwell is also sizeable btw.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Yeah, the 4A and Captain Kirk (4E) are the best bet. I never have been short on footwell space on the 747s, though. Upper deck exit row is also nice.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question 747 business class for couple and other questions

My wife and I may fly AMS-SFO business class next summer, most likely on the 747. Did a quick search and didn't find any recent answers, so:

1. Any recommendations re whether upper deck or lower deck on the 747?
2. Best specific seat recommendations?
3. Am I correct in assuming that, unlike a few airlines (e.g., BA), it's possible to book specific seat assignments without a charge, after ticketing?
4. How is the service, IFE, etc. on the plane?
5. Am I correct in assuming that all of the KLM 747s now have lie-flat seats?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
My wife and I may fly AMS-SFO business class next summer, most likely on the 747. Did a quick search and didn't find any recent answers, so:

1. Any recommendations re whether upper deck or lower deck on the 747?
2. Best specific seat recommendations?
3. Am I correct in assuming that, unlike a few airlines (e.g., BA), it's possible to book specific seat assignments without a charge, after ticketing?
4. How is the service, IFE, etc. on the plane?
5. Am I correct in assuming that all of the KLM 747s now have lie-flat seats?

Thanks for any advice.
1. I would personally go for the upperdeck, it feels very exclusive.
2. I think all seats are equally nice at the upperdeck, maybe in the middle for a roomier feel.
3. Yes you can select the seat after booking. However, when the flight is very full and you do not have FB status, KLM might block seats and seat selection is only available upon check in.
4. KLM has a very good personal service, I think they stand out from other airlines. Catering is hit and miss, but since the new catering since end of October 2018, the reviews are getting better. IFE is ok, however screen is not HD.
5. Yes you are correct. In fact the whole KLM long haul fleet is by december 2018 equipped with lie-flat seats.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by BobTL
1. I would personally go for the upperdeck, it feels very exclusive.
2. I think all seats are equally nice at the upperdeck, maybe in the middle for a roomier feel.
3. Yes you can select the seat after booking. However, when the flight is very full and you do not have FB status, KLM might block seats and seat selection is only available upon check in.
4. KLM has a very good personal service, I think they stand out from other airlines. Catering is hit and miss, but since the new catering since end of October 2018, the reviews are getting better. IFE is ok, however screen is not HD.
5. Yes you are correct. In fact the whole KLM long haul fleet is by december 2018 equipped with lie-flat seats.
Thanks for this quick and very useful reply!

Re #3 : If in fact KLM blocks seats until check-in, is there any way to ensure we get two seats together, or do we simply hope for the best?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.