Wiki Posts
Search

HP/De Tijd

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

HP/De Tijd

Those amongst you who read Dutch may perhaps have noticed that the "dubbeldik" summer issue of HP/De Tijd was missing from the WBC magazine racks.

This particular issue contains an article on KL cabin attendants which was not to the liking of the cabin attendants' union (VNC), so members were asked to make sure that copies of the magazine did not end up in the hands of business class passengers.

Johan
Old Aug 14, 2008, 1:57 am

Programs: FB Plat for Lifetime, Hertz & Sixt Gold; Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime, Amex Platinum
Copy available

Dear Johan, are you able to provide a copy or do you have a link available. Would be interesting to me. Thanks in advance, Raymond
Old Aug 14, 2008, 2:31 am

If the bloody unions don't like the policy of their members' employer, i.e. putting certain agreed magazines out on display, they know how to resign. Why the heck should they censor this just of some uncomfortable reading.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 4:38 am

Can anyone comment on what was in the magazines?

Quite interested now
Old Aug 14, 2008, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'll scan the article, and can e-mail copies to anybody who PMs me their e-mail address.

The article is far from flattering, to put it mildly.

Johan
Old Aug 14, 2008, 9:27 am

Programs: FB Plat for Lifetime, Hertz & Sixt Gold; Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime, Amex Platinum
Please mail a copy to the address below

Dear Johan, please send me a copy to "***". Further mails please not, as I usually use this account for expected spams only. Your mail is, of course, very welcome. Thanks, Ray

Last edited by Raymeister; Aug 15, 2008 at 3:43 am Reason: Privacy
Old Aug 14, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: FB Gold, TK Miles & Smiles Elite, Aeroplan
No wonder they took this copy off the racks
Old Aug 14, 2008, 2:28 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Wait a second? KLM sencors freedom of press????
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:41 pm

Any chance of an English resumé of the article?
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zembla
Wait a second? KLM sencors freedom of press????
Not quite.

The cabin crew union (VNC) advised its members to make sure that WBC pax would never see the article.

"Artikel in HP/ de Tijd
Het tijdschrift HP/de Tijd heeft in haar editie van 11 juli een artikel geplaatst over dé KLM stewardess. Dit tijdschrift vond het nodig om dé KLM stewardessen af te schilderen als een losbandige, blonde en vooral oppervlakkige types.

De VNC is erg verontwaardigd over het verhaal in “dit tijdschrift” en er hebben ons diverse telefoontjes en mailtjes bereikt van collega’s die dezelfde mening zijn toegedaan.

De journalist vond het tevens nodig om te melden dat het KLM-cabinepersoneel neerkijkt op de collega’s van Martinair. Niets is echter minder waar. De Martinair-collega’s staan “in het cabine-wereldje” bekend als goed getrainde, hardwerkende collega’s.

Al met al een zeer tendentieus verhaal en een goede reden om dit blad nooit meer te kopen. Het ergste van alles is dat dit blad op KLM-vluchten aan boord is als “service” voor onze Business Class passagiers. Ons advies: laat dit blad in de container zitten waarin het wordt aangeleverd ipv het in de tijdschriftenrekken te doen.
"

Source: VNC

English synopsis: nasty article - union upset - members advised not to buy HP/De Tijd ever again, and to keep the offending issue off the WBC magazine racks.

Johan
Old Aug 15, 2008, 4:08 am

Thank you for the copy, Johan

I think it is not that much the paxes the union tries to keep away from the article, its the spouses. Nice article with some inside views.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 7:05 am

Just reading the article... the first page makes me cringe with thoughts of snooty KLM staff snobbing their noses in the air with their false smiles and pretentious attitudes at other airlines staff .. the best part on the first page is about the more or less general racial profiling of the passengers! (not in those exact words in the article though).

That was more or less the first page I can see why the union was not happy with the rest of it.. brilliant piece of writing!! ^
Old Aug 16, 2008, 7:31 am

I could've written that! Though I do like some of the terms- transvag..
Old Aug 17, 2008, 6:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat
Talking Hilarious and so typical

Johan , Thanks for the great read!

Everytime I have to look at one of these dragons in blue polyester now, this article will be on my mind! Spot on.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA, AA, FB
It seems like the KLM has had problems with HP/De Tijd before! In September 2003 they removed all copies from their planes as well because of a (faked) cover photograph showing a KLM plane flying into the Nationale Nederlanden headquarters in Rotterdam. Google "hp de tijd KLM" for a couple of links.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.