Family stranded by nut-allergy row flies home

Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:59 pm

Programs: FB
Originally Posted by pacer142
Could they not just have reseated him away from the pet?
Depending on the type of allergy, internal air circulation within the aircraft could have still provided a grave health hazard for the allergic passenger even when located at the other end of the plane.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 2:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Err, why dig up this 3 years old thread without new info?
I wonder if there's a bug in FT. I tend to read it using the "new posts" link, and occasionally something that's *not* new pops up in that list, I think.

(It's the reason why I post sporadically in forums I generally don't follow...)

Neil
Old Jun 21, 2011, 3:33 am

What a weird family.. seriously, if your kids indeed have such an allergy (and it's not a scam to try to sue the airline for a fantastillion of Dollars) then don't fly. Better stay at home. I can't stop shacking my head.. good job from KLM, hope that the entiry family is put on a Do-Not-Fly-List (of possible for all airlines) ^
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:35 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Now that this thread has been revived, I can't help but make a contribution, too:

I am sooo glad I do not have a nut-allergy!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 6:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
I am gluten intolerant, but am *very* glad I have to eat a noticeable quantity of the stuff before it causes a problem.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Gajan
IMHO, the parents should then cater [get food etc] for their child thus making sure he only eats what they are sure of.
The issue wasn't even to do with the (possibility of) peanuts in the food served:

Originally Posted by Original Article
were told by the captain of the aircraft that there was not enough time to clean it of nuts served on the way out.
More a case of being afraid that someone may have left traces of peanut in the upholstery...
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:56 am
Suspended

Nut Allergy

Originally Posted by jetfan
Poor kid - must be tough to live with an allergy like that.

However, were all WBC passengers deprived of their nuts with their drink because of one passenger on the plane?
I hope KLM arranged some alternative pretzels or something - I like my bowl of nuts with a glass of champagne.
Apparently those with this problem have a complicated life. It is more than just eating them, but being near them, even the odd nut being left in a seat crack. Of course, an airline cannot guaranted that it is nut free, as some passangers, such as me, bring them on when in Y.

Seems to me the parents should have been in touch with the airline and possibly not travel at all until the child is older and better able to tolerate the problem.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Apparently those with this problem have a complicated life. It is more than just eating them, but being near them, even the odd nut being left in a seat crack.
Hmm... so the parents drove the kid in their car which never lets in anyone who eats nuts (and always do so as buses, taxis, etc could have leftover nuts in seat cracks), kid didn't sit down at the airport for fear there may be nut traces on the seats, they don't go to restaurants, and once arriving they walk to their destination because of what has already been mentioned about taxis and buses being risky environments. Seriously, I expect airlines to make reasonable efforts to offer all passengers a safe and pleasant flight when this is compatible with their daily way of functioning, but you simply can't expect an airline to go above and beyond that. If someone is so sensitive and yet has to travel, then they'd better found some sort of protecting clothing that wouldn't let any peanut bits reach them once on board.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: Cathay Gold, FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
It's great to see how many insensitive selfish people there are here on FT.
Totally agree. Nuts allergy is one of the most common types of food allergy. Nuts should be banned from planes, schools, etc. Surely people can live 12 hours without nuts to helps others?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: Cathay Gold, FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by KLouis
there are thousands of people who are allergic to fish, sea food, strawberries, and several more every-day substances. So if we are to start banning one category from planes (schools, stadiums, museums, stores, etc.), we'll soon have to ban "everything" from "everywhere". Hardly possible I believe, and really not a sign of insensitiveness or selfishness if one thinks so.
Less than 10 foods account for 90% of all food allergies, 50% are peanuts/tree nuts and KLM serves nuts in WBC.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Just as a point of (possibly useless) information: the peanut (aka ground nut) is not actually a type of nut; rather, it's a type of pea.

-- H
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by ericfr
Totally agree. Nuts allergy is one of the most common types of food allergy. Nuts should be banned from planes, schools, etc. Surely people can live 12 hours without nuts to helps others?
Forget Terrorism, nuts are the new biggest threat to aviation security. I say we banish them to Guantanamo Bay
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Does anyone here suffer from dusty nuts? Round our way it's quite humid, so many are afflicted with the opposite scenario.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.